Saturday, August 15, 2015

Among The Fair Magnolias - Book Review

During the most turbulent decade of our nation's history,
four Southern women - their destinies forged by birth and heritage -
face nearly impossible choices on their journeys in life. . .and in love

To Mend a Dream by Tamera Alexander
Savannah Darby would do almost anything to revisit her family home.
So when the new owner Aidan Bedford seeks to redecorate the home
for his fiancee, Savannah jumps at the opportunity.
But can she find the box her father supposedly hid there during the war
before her assignment is completed?
And before she sees yet another battle lost on the home front -
this time, a battle of the heart.

An Outlaw's Heart by Shelley Gray
Seven years ago Russell Champion was betrayed 
by the two most important women in his life.
Now Russell returns home, but is it too late to make amends with his mother
and find closure with his true love?

A Heart So True by Dorothy Love
Abigail Clayton hopes to reconcile with Dr. Wade Bennett and become his wife.
But her father insists she marry her distant cousin Charles Kittridge
so the plantations of the two families will be joined.
With her wedding day looming, Abby must choose between duty to her family
and the yearnings of her own heart.

Love Beyond Limits by Elizabeth Musser
Emily Derracott loves her childhood friend Thomas McGinnis,
but she cannot marry a man who doesn't share her strong convictions
about the freedmen.
Besides, she harbors a secret love for someone else.
But the prospect of becoming his wife is not only improbable -
it is completely impossible.




My Thoughts
Each novella is set within the Civil War, whether before or after,
and each story is beautifully written.
The stories may be short, but they are packed full 
with rich history and tender romance.

It would be difficult to pick a "favorite" out of the four
novellas since each story is unique and compelling on its own,
but there is one that stands out for me
and that is Love Beyond Limits by Elizabeth Musser.
This precious story of Emily and her life is completely captivating
with many twists and turns that caused my mouth to fall open in surprise more than once.
The author also did an amazing job of presenting the terrifying history from 1868.
My heart broke as I was reminded of the pain and heartache that took place back then.

I appreciate the work of each author and the way they presented our nation's history.
Each one did a phenomenal job of bringing the Lord and genuine faith 
into their characters lives and for that I am truly grateful.
Among The Fair Magnolias is certainly a book worth reading.
You will be encouraged spiritually and inspired by the romance of each character.

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

6 comments:

Denise said...

good review.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOod morning gentle soul! YOU have been busy with reading! There is nothing quite like storytelling, is there? Though summer vacation is quickly ending for me, storytelling has to remain in my life. In fact, I need to always remember that my job as a language teacher is a great segway to keep my students' progress meaningful, through storytelling, whether it's by reading or creating stories.

Enjoy yet another moment to indulge in a good book with one of those German chocolate brownies and a cup of tea. LOVE! Anita

bj said...

These all sound delightful. I've not read even a newspaper this whole summer...hopefully, I can get back to reading this winter. xoxo

Carol Z said...

I'm going to look for this. I've been reading a series by Colleen Coble that takes place just after the Civil War and I've enjoyed it very much, too. Thanks for the recommendation. Have a sweet week, dear Stephanie.

Daniela said...

My lovely Stephanie,
the cover of this book is already all a program and the words you write about it are truly an invite to read it as soon as possible !
Truth is that I've so many books waiting for me, I'm reading a lot lately but the books which are arriving don't give me the necessary time, it's a period during which I have so many interests and every day arrive books here, as gifts or bought ... but they're truly so many, believe me :)

I wrote down this title, I promise I'm going to buy it also, I cannot anything but do it, for my husband's joy who goes on finding new books everywhere at home, poor darling !!!

Have a blessed Sunday and new week ahead, my sweet soul
with so much love
Dany

Anne Payne said...

I have seen this book promoted in several places and each time I am determined to find a copy. I didn't choose to review it because of time constraints, but I can see from your review that I am going to have to search out a copy soon!

Fantastic once again, my friend! {{hugs}}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...