Friday, September 18, 2015

The One Year Home & Garden Devotions - Book Review

Renovating a home and caring for the land around it
can bring a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction
to the one who is completing the work.
But even more important are the spiritual lessons 
that can be gleaned while undertaking these projects.

The One Year Home and Garden Devotions offers 
an encouraging, applicable, sometimes humorous, 
and always personal word each day for contemporary women
of all ages who delight in enhancing their homes.

Sandra offers personal life lessons in a transparent style
that will encourage women to see the beauty in themselves
and the world around them.




My Thoughts
The One Year Home and Garden Devotion book
is a lovely devotional for women who enjoy tidying up their home
and refreshing their lives - spiritually and physically.
Each month begins with a helpful tip or recipe for the home such as
Cordon Rose Cheesecake, Scented Linen Water, and Heavenly Scented Sea Salts.

The devotions start out with something concerning the home or garden such as
Fresh Flowers, Light Breezes, Washcloths, and Treasured Recipes
and from these topics the author shares how we can apply God's Word
and truths to our every day lives.
While the devotions were good and encouraging
I felt some of them could have had more depth 
for spiritual growth and instruction.
Overall, I would recommend this devotional
and I give it 4 stars.

I have included a small part of today's devotion 
which is one I thoroughly enjoyed.

Mold grows in the dark.
In order to get rid of the mold, we not only have to dry things up,
we have to lighten them up too.
There is mold in our lives, too.
The parts of us that we don't want to grow,
that aren't healthy, that we believe to be ugly - well, they thrive in the dark.
We keep secret the things we consider to be shameful about ourselves.
The truth is that light heals, light strengthens, light brings life.
{September 18th }

*** I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own and I was not required to write a positive review ***

Find out more about the lovely author 
by visiting her website or her Facebook page:



Many thanks to the author for allowing me to read and review
The One Year Home and Garden Devotions.

19 comments:

Denise said...

nice review

Oliva Ohlson said...

Thank you for the honest review Stephanie. I'll have to check this book out! Hope you're feeling better and have a wonderful weekend!!!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

This looks like a wonderful book! I know I would thoroughly enjoy anything that celebrates my life as a housewife!

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Stephanie,
Working in any garden does wonders for our body and soul as nowhere else do we feel that close to our Creator!
Hugs,
Mariette

donna said...

Sounds like a wonderful book you can just get lost in.
Hugs
donna

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Sounds like a wonderful devotional... enjoyed your review! I liked the one you shared as well. :)

Sara - My Woodland Garden said...

Hello, dear Stephanie!
The book you reviewed looks very beautiful, interesting, and useful.
Thank you for sharing and have a lovely weekend!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Now this is a good concept for a book, the kind you want to curl up with and then jump up from your comfortable chair to go and try some ideas on your cozy home! But you are right; the devotional pieces need to be of the sort that makes you not want to put the book down, one that helps you linger and sit a while and help you see the bigger picture outside of the domestic life. I would imagine it would be hard to sustain a flow of spirituality in a book about home and garden, but it sounds as if you liked it enough!

Enjoy your weekend sweet one!

Gypsy Heart said...

Interesting! Sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for sharing your honest opinion.

xo
Pat

handmade by amalia said...

Sounds like an intriguing and inspirational book. Thanks for sharing.
Amalia
xo

Patricia said...

Thank you for the review. I need the book and I know several women who would love it for Christmas gift.

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Good Morning Stephanie, What a nice review for this inspirational book. It is one I think I would enjoy. The devotional for today was a really good one and I so enjoyed it too. I read it to my hubby and he loved it and said, send that one to me. LOL
Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely weekend my friend.
Blessings, cm

Sandra Byrd said...

Hi Stephanie,

I just wanted to pop over and thank you for taking the time to read and review my devotional. I know there are many books calling out for reviewers' time and talents, and I appreciate that you selected mine!

Have a wonderful, cozy autumn in your own home!

Blessings,

Sandra

Linda Walker said...

Stephanie,
This sounds like a wonderful book and one that I think I would really enjoy. I love the devotion for today and it is so true. Even metaphorical mold thrives in the dark. Light definitely heals. Thanks Stephanie,
Xo
Linda

Debbie Harris said...

Great review! I always appreciate your honesty, Stephanie.
It sounds like a good devotional to read as you are having an afternoon tea time break just to give yourself a bit of Spiritual food to think on.
The devotion you shared was something to think about for sure.
It's funny, I have a post coming that speaks a bit about the "Light" exposing our sin. You and I tend to think on the same lines at the same time. I love it! :)

I hope you are having a great day!
Love you ~ Mom

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

This sounds like a really nice devotional to have and to give as a gift. I love giving devotionals like this as an extra something in a gift for someone special.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thank you for your review of the book, Stephanie. I like daily devotional ones, and would probably enjoy this one. Even better, you and your mom should write one!!
Weekend hugs sent to you!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

It looks like something I'd enjoy as a supplement or especially on those hectic mornings when time is limited. Thanks for your review!

peabea said...

Always like hearing about new books. My women's devotional is one that I enjoy along with my Bible reading each day. May consider adding this one in the future. Thanks for sharing. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...