Saturday, September 05, 2015

Where Treasure Hides - Book Review

Enjoy this moment,
Chances are you'll never see him after today.

Artist Alison Schuyler spends her time working in her family's renowned art gallery,
determined to avoid the curse that has followed the Schuyler clan
from the Netherlands to America and back again.
She's certain that true love will only lead to tragedy -
that is, until a chance meeting at Waterloo station brings Ian Devlin into her life.
Drawn to the bold and compassionate British Army captain,
Alison begins to question her fear of love as World War II breaks out,
separating the two and drawing each into their own battles.
While Ian fights for freedom on the battlefield,
Alison works with the Dutch Underground to find a safe haven 
for Jewish children and priceless pieces of art alike.
But safety is a luxury war does not allow.
As time, war, and human will struggle to keep them apart,
will Alison and Ian have the faith to fight for their love,
or it is their fate to be separated forever?




My Thoughts
In Where Treasure Hides
I was taken to a world of very real characters
going through very life-like circumstances.
With each page I turned the deeper I went 
into the story of Alison, Ian, and the heartache of war.

Alison and Ian met at Waterloo station and it was pretty much love at first sight.
In no time at all Ian was proclaiming his love for Alison 
which you're probably thinking,
"Whoa, isn't that a little fast and too fictional?"
I will admit that I was a little skeptical about their "love at first sight,"
but as I soaked in their story I was enchanted by their connection -
a connection that went deeper than mere looks,
a connection that was so well-portrayed that it felt real -
and through the beautiful writing of Johnnie Alexander
I was swept away by Alison and Ian.

Johnnie Alexander did an outstanding job of writing about World War II.
She paints quite a picture {without being too graphic} 
of what battle and prison may have been like. . .
the heartache, the terror, the desperation, and the victory makes a lasting imprint.
She writes in a way that causes the reader to pause and remember 
what those men, women, and children went through.

The author also put a twist on the "typical" war novel 
by writing about art preservation during World War II.
The Schuyler family have spent over three hundred years 
building an impeccable reputation of their art gallery in the Netherlands 
and when war breaks out they will do what they must to protect the beloved artwork.

I was very impressed with Where Treasure Hides 
and applaud Johnnie Alexander's beautiful writing skills
and the ability to write a memorable story.
This is a book that stayed in my memory and heart 
for a long while after turning the final page .
There is love, World War II history, the blessing of God's grace, 
and art preservation all packed into this book - let's see if you can put it down :)

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Johnnie Alexander writes inspiring stories that are heartwarming and memorable.
Where Treasure Hides, her debut novel, 
won the ACFW Genesis Contest {2011} and Golden Leaf Award {2014}.
A graduate of Rollins College {Orlando} with a Master of Liberal Studies degree,
Johnnie treasures family memories, classic movies, road trips, and stacks of books.
She lives in the Memphis area, where her morning chores include feeding dogs,
cats, chickens, and a small herd of alpacas.
Visit Johnnie online at johnnie-alexander.com

16 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I love to read and this sounds like a lovely book! Thanks for the review, I'll add it to my list.

hugs,
Linda

faith76 said...

Sounds a great read, thank you for your review xxx

Sarah said...

Sounds like a great read! Thank you for sharing another terrific review, Stephanie!

Denise said...

Hi Stephanie,hope all is well with You and Your family. It's been too long since I've stoped by to visit You or at least comment.You My Dear have made Me want to read this book. Thank You for such a nice suggestion. Hugs and blessings-Denise

Norma Ruttan said...

That sounds like quite an amazing book, especially for her debut! I might have to borrow it from the library.

All4 Barbie said...

Hello from Spain: . It is a very comprehensive review. A book to be considered in future readings. Keep in touch

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sound like a wonderful read of a difficult time. I always love a great love story!

Denise said...

wonderful review.

Oliva Ohlson said...

I love WWII stories and your review of this book wants to make me read it! I'm currently reading Hope Harbor and really enjoying. Thank you for the recommendation.
Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!

handmade by amalia said...

Thanks for sharing, Stephanie, this looks to be a good book. Putting it on my list.
Amalia
xo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dear friend! Another moment of inspiration to learn, to remember. Wishing you another page-turner of a day as well! MUCH LOVE!

Sandi said...

"...and a small herd of alpacas."

My dream!



Kira Brennan said...

Sounds really good! I got hooked by the cover and your description just got better and better...art preservation during WWII seems to be a hot topic lately! (Have you seen Monuments Men?)

Robyn said...

I love books about stories that feature 'love at first sight' because that's how I fell in love. I didn't believe it until it actually happened to me!
This sounds like a great read, Stephanie. So glad you enjoyed it :)

CatTales said...

Hi, Thanks for checking in. My husband is not well and had a terrible fall recently. So many of my old blog friends don't have time to visit blogs any way, so I have stopped blogging as my days are all about making my husband as comfortable as possible. Wishing you and your family a blessed Autumn. Mildred

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I've ordered this book based on your recommendation, Stephanie! Sounds like something I might enjoy reading as I love WW2 novels! Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...