Saturday, October 03, 2015

Secrets She Kept - Book Review

Secrets a mother could never share. . .
consequences a daughter could not redeem.

All her life, Hannah Sterling yearned for a closer relationship with her estranged mother.
But when death closes that door, Hannah determines to unlock the secrets of Lieselotte's past
and is shocked to discover she has a grandfather still living in Germany.

Thirty years earlier, as Hitler begins his march through Europe,
Lieselotte's father ascends the Nazi ranks.
A proper marriage for his only daughter could advance his career,
but Lieselotte is in love, and her beloved, who secretly works against the Reich,
is far from an ideal match.
Yet Lieselotte never imagined how far her father would go to ensure er cooperation,
or how their actions would echo through the generations.

Both Hannah and Lieselotte's stories unfold as Hannah travels to Berlin to meet her grandfather,
who is hiding wartime secrets of is own.
Longing for connection yet shaken by all she uncovers,
Hannah must decide if she can atone for her family's tragic past. . .
and how their legacy will shape her future.



My Thoughts
If I were to give you my top five favorite published books in 2015
I would say Secrets She Kept is my number one book-
no, the year is not yet over, but any book I read from now until the end of 2015
will have a hard time topping this one.
The story of Hannah and her mother is incredibly rich and fulfilling
and the author shares the intricate details of their lives with passion and conviction.
After reading about these two special women you will be left with tears in your eyes
and a precious hope in forgiveness.

"There are ghosts and then there are ghosts."
She peered at me over her glasses.
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"It means leave the past alone. 
What you don't know can't haunt you."
{ Secrets She Kept - page 10 }

After Hannah's mother, Lieselotte, passed away
Hannah was left with an emptiness inside of her that only grew over time.
Her mother was not exactly the most affectionate lady and kept Hannah at arms length,
but Hannah feels as if she missed something about her mother growing up.
She missed out on a relationship that could have been, but never was. . .
Now she wants to find out what secrets her mother was hiding
and when she finds out that she has a grandfather in Berlin
she knows she must make the most of this opportunity.
But what she uncovers may not be what she was expecting or hoping for. . .

Lieselotte's life was not always pink roses and sunshine.
She faced battle after battle, struggle after struggle, heartache after heartache,
and after the events that took place in her younger years
she is ready for her life to be a closed book. . .
a book that she keeps sealed from even her own daughter.
As her story is unveiled in Secrets She Kept you will want to stay up all night
reading about this woman, supporting her, cheering her on,
wishing you could carry her heartache and ease her burden.

You will cry, my friends, and you will rejoice in the power of love and forgiveness.
You will wish the story never ends, but when it does conclude,
you will sigh with contentment and a heartfelt deep peace.
The lives of Hannah and Lieselotte are truly extraordinary.
This is most definitely a 5 star book.


** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Cathy Gohlke is a two-time Christy Award-winning author.
She and her husband divide their time between Northern Virginia and the Jersey Shore,
enjoying time with their grown children and granddaughter.
Visit her online at www.cathygohlke.com 

14 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

Glad that you enjoyed it so much, it sounds like a gripping read! xx

Chris Lally said...

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. I can't wait to pick up the book! Since TV programs have become so trashy, our family has unsubscribed to cable, so this is perfect timing. Thankfully, some of this author's other books are also available at our local library. Appreciate the recommendation, Stephanie!

janice15 said...

Sounds like a very interesting book.. Happy weekend with love Janice

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a WONDERFUL read, Stephanie. I do love a good, intriguing book. xo Diana

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I am always looking for a good read and this one sounds like it. I love books that you can't put down. Thanks for the review!

Vee said...

That is high praise, Stephanie! And I believe you so will definitely have this book on my wish list.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Off to Goodreads to put this on my "Want to Read" list. Thank-you so much for the recommendation!

Denise said...

good review

Aida said...

Hi Steph, very interesting story. Any stories associated with wars catches my attention. I love a good read and going by your review, sounds like this will be my next purchase from Book Depository. I am about to start Alexander's McCall Smith's Morality for beautiful girls.
Hope you have a good weekend.

hugs,
Aida

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW! That is saying a LOT that this book is of this caliber! Excellent my friend! And, forgive me for being so late in my email response....I will be back!

Gypsy Heart said...

A wonderful review ~ thank you for sharing! I love to read anything regarding WWII.

xo
Pat

Bethany Carson said...

Sounds like a fascinating read!

Lowcarb team member said...

Now this does sound an excellent read ...

All the best Jan

Oliva Ohlson said...

Thank you Stephanie for the great book review and recommendation. It will be my next book to read. I'm almost done with my current book, and ready for a new book, new author, and new story!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...