Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Bishop's Son - Book Review

Two men offer Leila two very different futures.
Will she choose with her heart or with her faith?

Leila Lantz has been in love with Jesse Glick from the day she first saw him
at his father's store, but she can't make sense of his intentions.
One day he wants to come courting, the next he seems to be putting distance between them.
Jesse may be the bishop's son, but his faith has been wavering of late.
If he is so unsure, is it fair to give Leila false hope for a future he doubts he can provide?

Then there's Will, Jesse's cousin.
He has been trying to keep his feelings for Leila a secret,
but he also knows Jesse is wrestling with his faith.
Would declaring his feelings for Leila be in her best interest 
or simply serving his own selfish desires?

Leila knows she can choose Will and be secure in her own future.
But when her heart speaks, it's Jesse's name she hears.
When will God make His will known to her?
Could leaving everything she knows - even her own faith -
be part of God's plan?




My Thoughts
This is the second book in the Amish of Bee Country series.
You can read my review on the first book The Beekeeper's Son
by clicking here.
First of all may I just say that I find Kelly Irvin's writing quite refreshing.
This is only the second book that I've read by her
and just like with the first book that I read I was left with a smile on my face
and encouragement that blessed my heart.
From a young age I have enjoyed reading Amish novels
and I find their beliefs and way of living quite fascinating.
I believe Kelly Irvin does a wonderful job of portraying the Amish
and I commend her for thoroughly researching the subject that she is writing about.

Once again the characters of Bee Country are heart-warming
and ones you will think about even after the book is done.
Typically {at least for me} when there are two men vying for the attention and heart
of one particular female character I tend to lean towards one or the other.
That was not the case with Jesse and Will
as I found both of them endearing in their own unique ways.
I found myself torn between the two of them just as I imagine Lelia was.

And Leila. . .what a precious young woman with a fire and passion for the Lord.
I loved seeing Leila grow in her faith throughout the book
and I appreciated the author using the characters to share about faith in Christ.
A faith that comes through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. . .
a faith that is received simply by believing on the name Jesus.

My only complaint {I'm sorry that I even have one}
is that I wished the Christians presented in this book would have been,
how do I say this, a little "less worldly."
Two characters in particular, Colton and Tiffany, are outside friends of Jesse and Lelia,
and they are Christians on fire for the Lord,
but there was a moment in the book when they were at the movie theatre 
and they were very "touchy" with one another including kissing. . .
As followers of the Lord we have the wonderful and blessed opportunity 
of presenting Jesus Christ in our daily lives
and when an unmarried couple is touchy and doing things that are saved for married couples
what is that saying to others around us. . .
As believers we are called to glorify God in all things.
This is my personal opinion and conviction and I am simply being honest.
I understand that not everyone feels this way. . .like I said, this is my personal view.
Other than that one page about Colton and Tiffany 
I found the book to be wonderful and very inspirational.

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Kelly Irvin is the author of the Bliss Creek Amish series 
and the New Hope Amish series.
She has also penned two romantic suspense novels,
A Deadly Wilderness and No Child of Mine.
Kelly has been married to photographer Tim Irvin for twenty-six years.
They have two young adult children, two cats, and a tank full of fish.
In her spare time, she likes to write short stories and read books by her favorite authors.

10 comments:

Dee said...

Stephanie, I just added this title to my reading list. It sounds like a wonderful story. Thanks for the review and have a lovely rest of the weekend... :)

Terra said...

This sounds like an intriguing story as she needs to choose between two different suitors and different futures.

Daniela said...

It sounds such a captivating story, I also love Amish culture so much, I think .. I'm going to order it, thank you darling Stephanie !

As usual to come here and visit you means a moment of joy, it's wonderful !
Have a blessed end of the week, my Beautiful Lady,
with all my heart and true love
Dany

Christine said...

Thank you Stephanie for your thorough review. I enjoy Amish fiction and learning more about their way of life but as yet I have not read any of Kelly Irvin 's novels. It does sound promising!
Have a blessed weekend!

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

I have never read an Amish book of any kind, but this looks intriguing. Thank-you for the wonderful review!

Merlesworld said...

I guess I will have to read the book to find out who she choses, will keep a look out for it in the shops.
Merle.........

Denise said...

sounds like a great read

Laura Lane said...

Thank you so much for your call to holiness!
I wish that it were a call that more Christians were listening to.
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Aida said...

Interesting to learn about Amish beliefs and their ways of life and I think this book will give it a bit of insight.
I would like to read as much as I could but time is the factor. I have few books lined up for Christmas break and given a chance to purchase from book depository ( when they are on sale) I will have a look at those you've reviewed previously and add them to my stack of to read books ( ;
Hope you have a wonderful weekend Steph.

Hugs,
Aida

mamasmercantile said...

Sounds a very interesting read, knowledge of the Amish and their way of life is of interest to me, I have added it to my to read list. Take care.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...