Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Imposter - Book Review

A heart once deceived should not be easily fooled again. . .

Katrina Stoltzfus thought she had life and love all figured out:
she was going to marry John and live happily ever after.
But as her plans crumble before her eyes, she struggles to face an uncertain future.
When a widow asks for help starting a new business, Katrina agrees.
She needs time to heal her broken heart, to untangle her messy life, to find a purpose.

What she doesn't need is attention from Any Miller, 
a farmhand who arrives at the widow's farm just when help is most needed-
and who always seems to say the right thing and be in the right place, at the right time.
Is Andy for real or too good to be true?
She's been deceived once before, and she isn't planning on experiencing it again.

Bestselling author Suzanne Woods Fisher invites you back
to Stoney Ridge for a tale of love, uncertainty, and trusting God to write your story.




My Thoughts
This is the first book in The Bishop's Family series.
Okay, I'm just going to come out with it. . .
this wasn't my favorite book from Suzanne Woods Fisher.
Yes, it was good. . .
Yes, the storyline flowed well. . .
And yes, the characters were all enjoyable.
Let me explain. . .

The back cover says the book is mainly about Katrina and Andy Miller,
but the farther I got in the book the more "misleading" I thought the description was.
Each chapter seemed to jump from one character to another
and I understand that books have many characters,
but it seemed like the two main characters in The Imposter 
were David and Birdy, Katrina's dad and friend.
I felt myself anticipating the next chapter in hopes of reading more 
about Katrina and Andy, but more often than not I ended up reading about David and Birdy
and was left disappointed that Katrina was put on the back burner.
There was so much potential with Katrina since she was going through a lot in her life
and I had high hopes that the author would dive into her life.
Maybe in the next book???

Katrina's character fell a little flat for me 
and I truly believe it's because she was not brought into the picture very often.
Andy Miller was so-so for me.
Kind, yes. . .thoughful, most definitely. . .memorable, I suppose.
I wanted more from Andy and Katrina - maybe my expectations were too high?
David, Katrina's father, is a thoughtful and kind man 
and I appreciated his steady faith in the Lord.
Birdy is oh-so-endearing and instantly warmed my heart
with her innocent and sweet ways.
David and Birdy go together like two peas-in-a-pod
and I found myself rooting for their relationship
rather than the main characters, Katrina and Andy.
I will end this review with a refreshing paragraph from the book
and it will show you why I fell in love with Birdy. . .

Birdy is right!
He wanted to shout to them.
All around you, God's great book of creation is being preached.
Lift your heads!
See what God has given you on this beautiful September morning.
Signs of his glory, his wonder, his ability to make something beautiful out of your life.
Lift your heads!
You're not alone in this journey.
{ The Imposter - pg. 102 }

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling author of the Lancaster County Series,
the Stoney Ridge Seasons series, and The Inn at Eagle Hill series,
as well as nonfiction books about the Amish,including Amish Peace.
She is also the coauthor of an Amish children's series,
The Adventures of Lily Lapp.
Suzanne is a Carol Award winner for The Search, 
a Carol Award finalist for The Choice, and a Christy Award finalist for The Waiting.
She is also a columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazines.
She lives in California.

10 comments:

Sally FromGrandmaWithLove said...

Nice!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for sharing the book review and it is disappointing when books aren't what you were hoping for.
Hope all is well with you and you are having a lovely weekend
Hugs
Carolyn

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I like to see an honest review even if it does indicate some disappointment. Are you requested to send the publisher a link to your post as I usually am for gardening book reviews?

janice15 said...

Interesting it sounded as you started and then the change not good... Happy Saturday with love Janice

Simply Linda said...

That is sad and disappointing...I like the author...maybe the next one will be better. Blessings sweet friend.

Melanie said...

I love reading your book reviews, Stephanie. You're honest and I really get a feel of what the book is about.
Stephanie, I started a new blog. http://melaniejocook.blogspot.com
I'd love for you to come for a visit. I'm not sure if I'll be participating in Roses of Inspiration yet. I do love visiting every Tuesday though. Have a blessed night.

Denise said...

thanks for your honest review

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Stephanie! It is a lovely surprise to find you here, as I was thinking you would not be posting! Well, you win some and you lose some, and authors sometimes go off track. But it's fun as readers to hone our skills to see what it is about a book we like or don't prefer. That's the FUN!

Enjoy your Sunday dear friend! Anita

Feral Turtle said...

How refreshing to read an honest review!! Thanks for that Stephanie! A happy week to you.

Sarah Rega said...

Hi Stephaine!

This is totally random and has nothing to do with this post, but I tagged you in The Awesome Food Award blog post - here's the link if you want to play along. :) http://sarah-rega.blogspot.com/2015/10/the-awesome-food-award.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...