Saturday, December 12, 2015

A Respectable Actress - Book Review

When India Hartley is accused of murder,
she must uncover the deceptions of others to save herself.
India Hartley, a famous and beautiful actress,
is now alone after her father’s death
and embarks upon a tour of theaters across the South.
Her first stop is Savannah’s Southern Palace.
On the eve of the second night’s performance, something goes horribly wrong.
Her co-star, Arthur Sterling, is shot dead on stage in front of a packed house,
and India is arrested and accused of the crime.
A benefactor hires Philip Sinclair,
the best—and handsomest—lawyer in Savannah to defend India.
A widower, Philip is struggling to reinvent
his worn-out plantation on St. Simons Island.
He needs to increase his income from his law practice
in order to restore Indigo Point,
and hardly anything will bring him more new clients
than successfully defending a famous actress on a murder charge.
Because India can’t go anywhere in town without being mobbed,
Philip persuades the judge handling her case
to let him take her to Indigo Point until her trial date.
India is charmed by the beauty of the Georgia low country
and is increasingly drawn to Philip.
But a locked room that appears to be a shrine to Philip’s dead wife
and the unsolved disappearance of a former slave girl raise troubling questions.
Piecing together clues in an abandoned boat and a burned-out chapel,
India discovers a trail of dark secrets that lead back to Philip,
secrets that ultimately may hold the key to her freedom.
If only he will believe her.



My Thoughts
A Respectable Actress was okay. . .
To be honest, I am having a hard time rating this book
because there were parts of it that were good
and parts that were not so good.

First of all, the setting was delightful
and probably the best part of the book.
The book is set in the 19th-century post civil war era
in Savannah, Georgia.
I thoroughly enjoyed the description of Indigo's Point
and often I found myself imagining what the island looked like.

The characters were enjoyable, 
but not exactly memorable.
I read until page 155 and up to that point
I felt it took the author way too long to bring in some clues and excitement.
I thought the author spent too much time on subjects that did not matter
and not enough time on the ones that were important-
such as the relationship between Philip and India.
One minute they are acquaintances and the next India is in love with him.
The story seemed to drag and I lost interest more than once,
and for the first time ever I jumped to the end of the book. . .
well, almost the end - more like a few chapters before the last page.
My friends, I never do this!
I truly feel guilty if I skip some of the book that I am reading,
but with this one I simply had to in order to finish it.
To be quite honest, the ending was the best part
and for the last few chapters I was completely engaged and interested.

All-in-all I would give the book 3 stars.
The author is a talented writer,
but this book just didn't do much for me.

** I was given a free copy of this book 
from the TNZ Fiction Guild Team for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

3 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

It is a shame that it wasn't all good, it sounds as thought it could have been a very interesting story. I hope that you enjoy your next read! xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest friend! I too have felt guilty for jumping ahead to finally FIND OUT what the author is trying to get at! HAHAHAHHAHHA

Oh the pleasure of being lost in a book, good or not so good. It makes us wonder and go deeper.

HOW DID SUNDAY GO?

Lydia S. said...

Yay! A book review! Sorry it wasn't a good read for you though. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...