Saturday, December 05, 2015

Rising Darkness - Book Review

Sophie Wittenbauer left her strict Mennonite hometown
under a cloud of shame and regret.
After a rough childhood, her teenage poor choices harmed others,
leaving her with no choice but to change her life.
Her entry-level writing job at a newspaper puts her in the right place at the right time 

to overhear office gossip about a prisoner who has information
on a decades-old unsolved crime.
While the other reporters write off the tip as the ravings of an angry criminal,
Sophie can't ignore it because she knows the name of this prisoner from her old life. 


Upon learning from the man that one of the other suspects is hiding out
in the Missouri town of Sanctuary,
she takes on a false identity to investigate and meets the young pastor of a local church--
the very man she'd loved as a troubled teenager.
As she gets closer to finding the suspect,
will the truth of her own past come out before she discovers the identity of the criminal--
or the very person she's seeking puts a fatal stop to her investigation?






My Thoughts
Rising Darkness is the third and final book in the Finding Sanctuary series.
This book can easily stand alone, but it does talk about some of the previous characters,
but not enough to make a huge impact on the book - it's easy to follow along.
You can read the first two reviews by clicking on the links below:

Gathering Shadows - Book One

Deadly Echoes - Book Two

I thought this book was good and enjoyable,
and it was a fairly good finish to the series.
Sophie, the main character, wasn't exactly my favorite.
I felt she was too insecure and I must confess her insecurity got a little annoying at times.
She also had a habit of lying.
I understand that this was meant to be her character
and throughout the book she realizes that lying is a terrible thing,
but her lies simply got old, if you know what I mean.
I will say, in her favor, that my heart went out to Sophie and her history-
she truly did have a rough childhood.
I admired her tenacity of trying to overcome the heartache and pain from days gone by.

Now Jonathan, on the other hand, was a wonderful character,
one I instantly fell in love with.
I appreciated his joyful attitude and his spirit of kindness and love.
He was the perfect example of living out His faith in Christ
and spreading the love of Jesus to others no matter what they have done.
I was greatly encouraged by Jonathan.

There were certainly some intriguing twists to the story that kept me guessing along the way 
and of course I always enjoy a good twist to suspense.
Nancy Mehl is a talented author and her books are a delight to read.
I think all-in-all I would give this book 3.5 stars
simply because Sophie rubbed me the wrong away - sorry about that.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Nancy Mehl is the author of seventeen books including
the Road To Kingdom series and the Finding Sanctuary series.
She has a background in social work and writes from her home in Missouri
where she lives with her husband, Norman, and their puggle, Watson.

12 comments:

All4 Barbie said...

Hello from Spain: I did not know this book. Great review. Keep in touch

Vee said...

So true! If one does not fall in love with the protagonist, the book falls flat. Thankfully, there was another character to love.

Mildred said...

Stephanie, Thank you for the honest review. With cold, rainy weather ahead, it's nice to know of some good books.
Thanks for the thoughtful card.

Mildred said...

p.s. new gmail/blog if you click on my name.

Linda said...

I appreciate your honest review, Stephanie! Thank you so much for sharing.

Amy at love made my home said...

Sounds like a fascinating series! xx

Cheryl said...

I had never heard of this series, so am thankful you shared with us here. :) I love suspense, too, and I think I would fine the lying annoying, also. Thank you for your honest review, and may God bless you with a wonderful weekend, sweet friend. You are such a dear blessing to me and to so many others! :) Much love to you!

Debby Ray said...

I love the new look of your blog! The books sounds really good too :)

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Your blog looks fabulous! And thank-you for the honest book review. I hope you're enjoying your weekend, I know I am. Our temperatures have been amazingly mild this winter, and we are celebrating my daughter's 13th birthday tomorrow, so I spent the day getting ready for that. I will have photos up after all the surprises are revealed.

White Lace and Promises said...

Sounds like a great read. Your blog header is beautiful! Very well done!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh, I know what you mean about certain books; sometimes you start to not enjoy particular characters to the point that you start not enjoying the book. I had to read a book in college during my French studies. I detested the characters, and until I had to write a summary of the book, I did not realize that my indifference toward the characters could have been exactly what the author wanted. He made me as the reader, feel, smell, see and almost taste what was going on in his crudely detailed scenes. It wasn't until I started to write about what I read that I understood the writer's craft: to make you love, detest, empathize with the characters to better understand their predicaments. Brilliant work, writing.....

Feral Turtle said...

I might have to read this one thanks to a well written review!! Love your new Christmas pics!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...