Saturday, January 30, 2016

Hannah's Choice - Book Review

When love and family conflict,
will she listen to her head. . .or her heart?

Hannah Yoder loves her quiet life on the banks of Conestoga Creek.
In 1842, this corner of Lancaster County is settled and peaceful-
yet problems lurk beneath the placid facade.
Hannah strives to be the one person who can bind the threads of her family together
in spite of her father's worries, her mother's depression,
and her sister's rebellious ways.
But her world threatens to unravel.

When two young men seek her hand in marriage-
on offering the home she craves 
and the other promising the adventure of following God's call west-
Hannah must make a choice.
Will she stay true to the faith of her family 
or defy her father and abandon her community?





My Thoughts
I am not quite sure where to begin with this review. . .
you see, I enjoyed this book and yet I didn't like some parts of it.
I found it engaging and frustrating at the same time. . .
maybe this is a good thing because it really made me fall in love with some characters
while getting upset and annoyed with others and that, my friends, makes for interesting reading.
I find it funny that I often think an author should do something drastic
and end the book the way a reader would not expect,
you know, the opposite of how a book should end.
Lets face it, when you get towards the end
it's usually pretty easy to figure out what will happen
and it almost always ends the way we think it should. . .happily ever after.
Don't get me wrong, Hannah's Choice didn't have a bad ending,
it simply ended in a shocking manner. . .
shocking in the sense that I didn't think what happened would happen.
I hope you're following me here {{smiles}}
I could think to myself that it didn't quite meet my expectations
or I could say that the author broke away from the usual pattern of "perfect" endings
and applaud her for her work. . .
I think I will go with the latter.
Jan Drexler really did a wonderful job
and her skill for writing a good historical story is evident.
While Hannah's Choice would not be my number one pick,
it would still be one I would read again.

Hannah's Choice is set in 1842 on the banks of Conestoga Creek
and the history of the Amish in that day was well-presented.
If you enjoy Amish, historical, and Christian fiction
than I would say you would enjoy this book.
While the beginning of the book started off a little slow and depressing
it picked up speed a little further on making for an enjoyable read.
All in all I would give this book 3.5 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Jan Drexler's ancestors were among the first Amish, Mennonite, 
and Brethren immigrants to Pennsylvania in the 1700's.
Their experiences are the basis for her stories.
Jan is the author of several Love Inspired novels
and lives in South Dakota with her husband, their four adult children,
two active dogs, and a cat.


Read the review for Mermaid's Moon that I posted earlier today
by clicking here.

It's a book full of suspence and romance :)

11 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

I would probably like it. Thank you for sharing!

Lady Linda said...

You do such a lovely job with your book reviews. I'm not sure if I would like to read this or not. I don't have a lot of time to read, so I am careful about what I will give my time to when reading. Hope all is well. Loved your tea post . The picture of your mom and you is absolutely beautiful Stephanie.
Hugs...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest!

I so hear ya about reading a book, being engaged in it while NOT liking some parts of it. I had to read a book way back during my French studies; this was a book in my French lit class. I could NOT STAND the characters, but the story line was good enough to follow, plus we had to read the book and write a critique on it. When I was done, I slammed down the book saying, "I hate this book!" BUT.....my idea came to me. I realized that sometimes an author makes a character so unlikeable to do just this: TO GET A REACTION out of the reader. I realized it was so well-thought out and written so that I the reader would respond, and so I did. My critique was genuine and rife with examples of the author's style and reasons for choices (according to my interpretation). So then, reading is an engaging activity that makes US THINK.

Have a great day!

Melanie said...

I do enjoy reading Amish fiction. I have a couple boxes full of it that my cousin sent me so I may be reading them forever! Good review. I always enjoy reading your reviews. They give me a good idea of whether I would enjoy the book. Have a blessed day.

Mehrll said...

I have so many Amish and Mennonite fiction books. I am sure I would like reading this. Your reviews are so thorough. Thank you for sharing this review with us.

Cheryl said...

Thank you for the honest review, dear friend! I don't know if I would like this one, because I am not too keen on surprise endings or endings that don't end as it seems they should. :) I hope all is well with you on this beautiful Lord's day!! Sending you big hugs!!

Peabea Scribbles said...

I do like this type of book..will have to check it out. Nice review. Hope the New Year is being a blessing so far sweet girl.

Paiges Pages said...

Sounds pretty neat! :) my sister likes those books!
Paige

Daniela said...

I like your reviews so very much, you're such a keen reader and it's easy, for me, to be won by your words and the ambientation of the stories you choose is always so charming to me !
Thank you sweetie for another captivating, wonderful post,
may your week be blessed with joy and wonder,
sending love to you with all my heart
Dany

Denise said...

nice review

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Enjoyed your review of this book! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...