Saturday, January 30, 2016

Mermaid Moon - Book Review

Mallory's mother died fifteen years ago.
But her father's last words on the phone were unmistakable:
"Find. . .Mother."

Shame and confusion have kept Mallory Davis from her home
for the last fifteen years, but when her dad mysteriously dies
on his mail boat route, she doesn't have any choice but to go back to Mermaid Point.

Mallory believes her father was murdered and childhood sweetheart Kevin O'Connor,
game warden in Downeast Maine, confirms her suspicions.
But Kevin is wary of helping Mallory in her search.
She broke his heart and left - without a word - years ago.

When Mallory begins receiving threats on her own life -
and her beloved teenage daughter, Haylie -
their search intensifies.
There's a tangled web within the supposed murder,
and it involves much more than what meets the eye.

As answers begin to fall into place,
Mallory realizes her search is about more than finding her father's killer -
it's also about finding herself again. . .
and possibly about healing what was broken so long ago with Kevin.
She just has to stay alive long enough
to put all the pieces together.




My Thoughts
Mermaid Moon is the second book in the Sunset Cove series 
by Colleen Coble and my oh my was it a page-turner!
You can read my review for the first book here.
I love a suspense that has me sitting on the edge of my seat
trying to guess who the "bad guy" is and what his motive might be.
Mermaid Moon did just that and more.
Within the first couple of pages the reader will be thrown into action and suspense.
Colleen Coble does not hold back and grabs the reader's attention from the beginning.

Mallory has stayed away from her home for personal reasons. . .
reasons that are too painful to talk about.
But when her father calls her up on the phone and dies while trying to tell her something
she knows she must return to the place she has always loved 
and the people she deeply hurt.
One of those people being Kevin, the love of her life. . .

I loved the romantic tension between Mallory and Kevin.
It was very real and believable.
Here are two people that were meant to be together,
but after allowing a horrific accident to mislead her
Mallory walked away fifteen years ago never to talk to him again until now.
The author did a fabulous job with their chemistry.

I also enjoyed the setting of this book which is on the coast of Maine.
Colleen Coble did a great job of painting the beautiful scenes in my mind 
with her well-written words.
She had me itching to take a plane to see Maine in person :)

One thing I was a little disappointed with 
was the spiritual aspect as it seemed to be lacking.
I would have liked to have seen the Lord 
brought into the lives of the characters more.

Like I said, this is the second book in the Sunset Cove series.
You do not need to read the first book before this one
as Mermaid Moon could easily be a stand alone novel.
There are characters mentioned in this book that were in the first book,
but other than the brief encounter with them 
they did not have much of a role in Mermaid Moon.

There is suspense, drama, and romance. . .
three things that make for excellent reading.
This book gets 4 stars.
** I was given a complimentary copy of this book 
from BookLook Bloggers and the TNZ Fiction Guild for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **
About the Author
USA Today bestselling author Colleen Coble has written several
award-winning romantic suspense novels including Tidewater Inn,
Rosemary Cottage, and the Mercy Falls, Lonestar, and Rock Harbor series.
Visit her website at www.colleencoble.com

10 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Hi Stephanie. Just trying to get a few blog visits in while I can. I just wrote both the books by this author down. I have not read her before. Do I need to read book 1-is there any tie into book 2--or does each book stand on its own?
Love your book reviews--love you, too! xo Diana

Melanie said...

I like mysteries too. This does sound good. I love books that are so descriptive of the locale that you can always feel like you're there. Have a great evening.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This looks like a good book -- I love your reviews. Often I see books and they are reviewed as being so great but then you realize the people reviewing them have some different standards so I appreciate your reviews!

kathyinozarks said...

sounds like a good read thank you for the review-I usually read historical novels set in the 1600's through the 1800's I have been reading a couple christian romance novels that were really good-I should do a blog review on those-thanks again

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I entered this series on my list before and am going to see if our library carries them. A great review of the book Stephanie which is catching the interest of everyone commenting it appears.
For quite a few years I've been reviewing gardening books and looking for a change I followed your link to BookLook Bloggers and yay, they will accept reviews from Canada! I've applied and will see what happens.
Have a good weekend.
xx

Merlesworld said...

Sounds pretty good will keep a eye out for this one.
Merle................

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Thanks for this review. I'm a big fan of this author! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs!

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Interesting! I would probably love this. Again, Thank you for sharing.

Denise said...

good review

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Sounds like an interesting book for sure, although I too would probably like a little more spiritual encouragement throughout the book. Thank you for sharing your honest opinion... you always do the best reviews :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...