Friday, January 22, 2016

Thin Ice - Book Review

If Ginny Reed is still alive-
who is the woman buried in her grave?

After losing her parents and her sister, 
Christy Reed has been mired in grief.
Now, life is finally starting to feel normal again-
until an envelope addressed in her sister's handwriting arrives in the mail.
And the note inside claims she is still alive.

FBI Special Agent Lance McGregor, a former Delta Force operator,
is assigned to reopen the case. . .
but he's coming up with more questions than answers.
Is Christy a pawn in a twisted cat-and-mouse-game-
or the target of a sinister plot?
As Lance digs deeper, one thing becomes clear:
someone in the shadows has a deadly agenda.

Best-selling author and three-time RITA Award winner
Irene Hannon pulls out all the stops in this high-stakes thriller
that races to a bone-chilling finish.




My Thoughts
Thin Ice is the second book in the Men of Valor series.
You can read my review for the first book Buried Secrets
by clicking here.

From the very beginning of this book 
the reader will be thrown into a fast-paced thrilling ride. . .
a ride that is intriguing, menacing, and at times downright terrifying.
The book begins with Christy driving out to her sister's house
only to find it on fire and her sister no where in sight.

"Despite the  waves of heat rolling off the collapsed house,
a numbing cold gripped her.
Tremors convulsed her body.
Blackness nipped at the edges of her consciousness.
And somewhere in the distance, screams ripped through the air.
Again.
And again.
And again.
Christy squeezed her eyes shut and pushed her hands against her ears,
trying to block them out.
But she couldn't.
Because they were her own."
{ Thin Ice pg, 13 }

This isn't a book about trying to figure out who is after Christy
because the author reveals him near the beginning,
but rather it's a twisting tale of why he is going after Christy.
You get bits and pieces of the villain's tale throughout the pages
and Irene Hannon does quite the incredible job of diving into his mind
and exposing it to the reader to show what makes him tick.
The suspense was good and had me up late at night turning page after page.

I also enjoyed the spiritual aspect of this book.
Christy has been through the ringer and through it all 
she continues to cling to the Lord;
He has been her refuge and strength.
Lance has been through such turmoil that he has hardened his heart
and isn't open to faith like he once was.
When he sees the love and faith Christy has for Jesus Christ
he is not only inspired and moved, but he is also convicted 
and made aware of the hope that is found at the feet of Jesus.

The romance was so-so.
From a Christian's perspective I don't need to hear about
"legs that go on for miles."
I understand there is physical attraction between couples,
but sometimes I think it can go too far in a Christian book.
It wasn't bad in this book, but it wasn't great either.

I will say that I greatly appreciate the fact
that Irene Hannon does not use foul language in her books.
It is refreshing to be able to pick up a book
and simply read knowing you will not run into any profanity.

Thin Ice is a suspenseful read filled with plenty of intrigue and drama.
All in all I give this book 4 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Irene Hannon is the bestselling author of more than forty-five romantic suspense
and contemporary romance/women's fiction novels,
including the Heroes of Quantico, Guardians of Justice, and Private Justice series.
Her books have garnered dozens of honors, including two coveted RITA Awards
from Romance Writers of America.
She is also a two-time Christy Award finalist.
Learn more at: www.irenehannon.com 

19 comments:

Barbara Neubeck said...

.. Hi Stephanie... have written down the name of these books... the series sound great.. Thanks for the review... Have a good day ...
Hugs.. Barb xxx

Jill said...

Sounds like a really good book! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the weekend :-)

Blessings,
Jill

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Sounds interesting! I'll write down this author's name so I can see if our library has it.

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Sounds interesting! I'll write down this author's name so I can see if our library has it.

Vee said...

Now that sounds like a different sort of Christian fiction. You make it sound very intriguing. (Too bad that I am not a fan of the thriller genre. Creeps me out too much.)

Hope said...

My darling Stephanie,

I do not read may romance novels, but I do like suspense. This books sounds interesting.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Love and Hugs,
Hope

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I love a good mystery book, especially ones recommended and will keep this one in mind.

Mary Hutchins said...

Sounds like a very mysterious plot. Love a good mystery and I really love faith based books. I'll add this book to my 'to read' list!

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Dear Stephanie... Your review was entertaining to read, and I always enjoy hearing what you have to say about the books you have read. I have not read this author before, but I will check at the library to see if any of her other works are available. Have a wonderful day my friend! :)

Beatrice Euphemie said...

This sounds like a great read, Stephanie! I like a good mystery once in a while, especially if it is faith-based. Thank you for sharing, it will go on my reading list. Hugs xo Karen

Paiges Pages said...

Wow! This looks like it would be soooooooo fun to read! I love reading!
Have a awesome week!
Paige

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning sweet Stephanie! How lucky you are to have the time to read so many books. I am spending my weekend grading over 150 papers. My eyes will need a rest after that! Good to hear you are enjoying the refuge of a book in this frigid weather! Be warm and safe sweet sister!

Melanie said...

I enjoy mystery books. I'll have to look this one up. Thanks for the review, Stephanie.

Denise said...

good review

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Now this book sounds right up my alley!!!

Carol said...

I love your blog--I cannot but feel my heart enveloped in the beauty of our LORD--HIS GRace, Love, and Peace when I open your emails. I would love to receive the book you reviewed, The Forgotten Recipe. I love reading of the Amish; my maternal grandfather and his two maiden sisters came out of an Amish community. They remained unmarried and Grandpa Hoy helped to support them even though married with 13 children. I do not know much more than this, but I have a strong emotional connection to their simple life centered on GOD, the community, and family.

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Oooo Stephanie this one looks exciting and a must read!
xo,
Vera

Amy at love made my home said...

It sounds like a good read and an intriguing one too. Like you I don't appreciate finding bad language or greatly intimate details in a book. xx

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

One of the books you fight yourself to put away at night, you say? Just one more chapter? Just one more! Ah yes... Sounds like a good read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...