Saturday, February 20, 2016

Cold Shot - Book Review

Four best friends
and then one went missing. . .

In college, Griffin McCray and his three best friend had their lives planned out,
Griffin and Luke Gallagher would join the Baltimore Police Department,
Declan Grey would head to the FBI,
and Parker Mitchell would study to become a crime scene analyst.
But then Luke vanished before graduation 
and their world - and friendships - crumbled.

Now years later, Griffin has left the police and his friendships behind.
Still trying to forget a case that went bad when he was a SWAT team sniper,
he's living a quiet life as a park ranger at Gettysburg.
Quiet until skeletal remains are uncovered near Little Round Top -
and they aren't Civil War-era.

Griffin just wants the case to go away,
but charming forensic anthropologist Finley Scott discovers evidence 
pointing to the work of an expert sniper.
When FBI agent Declan Grey steps in to take over the case,
past and present collide.
Griffin soon realizes he'll need to confront some of the darkest days of his life
if he - and those he cares about - are going to escape a downward spiral 
of crime, danger, and murder.




My Thoughts
Cold Shot is the first book in the Chesapeake Valor series and it's a real page-turner
that will have you reading each page at an incredibly fast paced speed.
This book kept me up late at night reading, wondering, gasping, 
and gripping the pages in excitement and fear.
My first book by the lovely author Dani Pettrey
and already I am hungry for more from this talented writer.

Each character in this book was unique and quite realistic.
When the skeletal remains are uncovered and the three remaining friends come together 
to solve the mystery it was like I already knew them - like I was apart of their group.
I truly loved the connection between Griffin, Declan, and Parker,
and found their relationships with all the ups and downs to be believable and enjoyable.
Through them you find encouragement over the fact that all of them faced dark days,
but God is bigger and greater than the darkness
and through Him they find forgiveness and restoration.

Finley Scott was simply delightful
and someone I fell in love with immediately.
She has her own darkness to deal with, 
but through it all she relies on the power and strength of her Lord.
Her budding relationship with Griffin is precious
and it's one of those relationship's that you can't help but smile about.
When the sparks begin to fly between Finley and Griffin
you can't help but lose your heart to them.

The suspense in Cold Shot is top notch and ever so thrilling!
You all know I love a book that has me guessing until the end
and Dani Pettrey had me doing just that.
Well done, Dani!
I am already eagerly anticipating the next book in this series.

I would recommend this book to an older audience
simply because of the crime scenes.
No, it's not graphic or gory, but if I had a 14-year-old daughter 
I don't think I would not be comfortable letting her read this book.

I give this book 4.5 stars!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Dani Pettrey is the bestselling author of the Alaskan Courage series
and winner of the 2014 Daphne du Maurier award for Inspirational Novel,
the 2014 Christian Retailing's Best Award for Suspense,
and the 2013 Holt Medallion for First Novel.
She and her husband reside in the DC Metro area.
She can be found online at www.danipettrey.com

9 comments:

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Awesome. Sounds like a book I would like to read. Thank you for sharing.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I too like a good mystery with lots of suspense, great review.

Barbara Neubeck said...

...this sounds like a great book Stephanie..... so does the Midwife one in the previous post...
I don't get as much time to read as I used to between housework, blogging, Fb, playing Yahtzee with Mum and crafting.... I sometimes read in bed.

Have a great day..hugs... Barb xxx

Susan said...

Hi Stephanie. Definitely sounds like a page-turner! So glad you enjoyed the book, too. Susan

Denise said...

good review.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest heart! YOU have read so many books! Have you ever considered being a teacher? Just thinkin'!

Enjoy another gift from God called A DAY. May the sun rise and shine for you in a special way!!!

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Hmm, sounds like a great book with suspense and good writing! Enjoyed your review! Have a blessed day friend :)

Cheryl said...

Ooh....so intriguing! Sounds like it would keep you on the edge of your seat! Every now and then I enjoy this type of story...I just don't have too much time to read. But, that is a good thing, because the dear Lord is keeping me busy, which I love!! Sending you much love, sweet Stephanie!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I really need to start a pinterest board to keep track of these books so I don't loose track of the ones I need to check out!
Thanks for the review :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...