Saturday, February 27, 2016

If I Run - Book Review

Casey knows the truth.
But it won't set her free.

Casey Cox's DNA is all over the crime scene.
There's no use talking to police;
they've failed her abysmally before.
She has to flee before she's arrested. . .or worse.
The truth doesn't matter anymore.

But what is the truth?
That's the question haunting Dylan Roberts,
the war-weary veteran hired to find Casey.
PTSD has marked him damaged goods,
but bringing Casey back can redeem him.
Though the rime scene seems to tell the whole story,
details of the murder aren't adding up.
Casey Cox doesn't fit the profile of a killer.
But are Dylan's skewed perceptions keeping him from being objective?
If she isn't guilt, why did she run?

Unraveling her past
and the evidence that condemns her will take more time than he has,
but as Dylan's damaged soul intersects with hers,
he is faced with two choices:
the girl who occupies his every though is a psychopathic killer. . .
or a selfless hero
And the truth could be the most deadly weapon yet.




My Thoughts
Believe it or not this is my first book by Terri Blackstock.
I have had this talented author on my "To Read" list for ages
and when I finally received this book I was giddy with excitement.
The minute the book arrived on my doorstep I ripped open the package
and began reading. . .while cooking :)
Yes, I was that excited!
Just don't ask how supper was that night. . .
it may have been a little undercooked due to some "distractions."
Anyway, moving on to the review. . .

If I Run is definitely a page-turner
and with each chapter you get just enough to make you want to keep turning the pages.
Don't you love/hate when a chapter ends with you asking more questions?
Questions that you want answered so you HAVE to keep reading.
Well, Terri Blackstock does just that with this book
which makes for wonderful reading material.

Casey Cox is a lovable, heart-warming character from the beginning
which makes the reader wonder why she would be pursued for murder.
How could someone with such delightful characteristics just "snap" one day.
And if she isn't guilty why in the world would she run from a crime scene
and do everything she can to disappear.
These are the questions Dylan keeps asking himself
and the more he learns about Casey and her gentle ways
the more he has to talk himself into pursuing her as the suspect.

If I Run is the first book in a new series
and it ends with the reader asking more questions
because the mystery is not yet solved.
I will be on pins and needles until the next book comes out
because the first one is that good.

My only complaint. . .
a simple one that has nothing to do with the way I will rate this book.
I did not care for the first-person writing style.
I do not read many fiction books that are written in first-person
so I think it's just something I'm not used to.
Other than that If I Run is an excellent suspense
and a great first book to a new series.
There is no language or inappropriate scenes
for which I am thankful.
4.5 stars!

** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Terri Blackstock has sold over seven million books worldwide
and is a New York Times bestselling author.
She is the award-winning author of Intervention, Vicious Cycle, and Downfall,
as well as the Moonlighters, Cape Refuge, Newpointe 911,
Suncoast Chronicles, and Restoration series.

13 comments:

Elizabethd said...

I have always enjoyed Terri's books.

September Violets said...

I've never read her books, but from your review, she sounds like a great author! I don't normally read crime stories, although I actually do enjoy them. I think I would have to buy all the books in the series together before I could enjoy reading this ... I really hate unfinished endings.
I hope you didn't bring the book to your dinner table ;)
Wendy

Melanie said...

This sounds like a great book, especially it being the beginning of a series. I understand what you mean about writing in first person. My favorite author - Miss Read wrote her Fairacre series in first person and she said she didn't like it.

living from glory to glory said...

You always have the most wonderful books! So glad you can share them with us!
Hugs, Roxy

Consider It All Joy said...

Sounds like an interesting read. I seldom have time to enjoy reading these days, but I'll keep this author in mind. Blessings to you, Cindy xo

Cheryl said...

Sounds very suspenseful and intriguing! I can see why you had a hard time putting it down. :) Sending you big hugs, dear Stephanie!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ah! How interesting that the first person choice did not interest you! This is what is frightening as a writer; you never know what will work for an audience, but like you said, it's something that you are not used to. Art is so fun. Taking another perspective is part of the argument, the praise, the analytical review. FUN!!!!!! Enjoy yet another quiet Sunday my friend!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

Hi Stephanie,
Written in first person is fine for me, if it's a page turner and full of suspense I will love it. First in a series is always promising. Thanks for your recommendation, just went onto my list.
xoxo,
Vera

Miss Val's Creations said...

This sounds like a great read. I don't read crime mysteries too often but when I do, it is hard to put the book down! I'm terrible with series though since I forget the details when it is time for the next one!

Sheryl S. said...

Wish I had more time for reading. I enjoy true crime books and have loads by Ann Rule but haven´t read anything by Terri Blackstock. Thanks for the review.

Denise said...

good review.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Adding this to my pinterest board! Sounds like a great read. Thanks for the great review :)

Mary E. Stephens said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who reads while cooking. LOL I've been known to stand with a book or Kindle in one hand and a spoon stirring something in the other. This works well with pudding, but some things...well. ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...