Friday, February 19, 2016

The Mountain Midwife - Book Review

For nearly two hundred years, 
women in Ashley Tolliver's family have practiced the art of midwifery 
in their mountain community.
Now she wants to take her skills a step further,
but attending medical school means abandoning those women 
to whom she has dedicated her life,
the mountains she loves, and the awakening in her heart.

Ashley Tolliver has tended to the women of her small Appalachian community for years.
As their midwife, she thinks she has seen it all.
Until a young woman gives birth at Ashley's home and is abducted 
just as Ashley tries to take the dangerously bleeding mother to the nearest hospital.
Now Ashley is on a mission to find the woman and her newborn baby. . .
before it's too late.

Hunter McDermott is on a quest - to track down his birth mother.
After receiving more media attention than he could ever want
for being in the right place at the right time,
he receives a mysterious phone call from a woman claiming to be his mother.
Hunter seeks out the aid of the local midwife in the mountain town
where the phone call originated -
surely she can shed some light on his own family background.

Ashley isn't prepared for the way Hunter's entrance into her world
affects her heart and her future.
He reignites dreams of having her own family that she has long put aside 
in favor of earning her medical degree 
and being able to do even more for her community.
But is it commitment to her calling or fear of the unknown 
that keeps her feet firmly planted in the Appalachian soil?
Or is it something more - fear of her growing feelings for Hunter -
that makes her hesitant to explore the world beyond the mountains?




My Thoughts
I am going to be upfront and honest, my friends. . .
I did not care for this book.
It had a few {very few} good moments in it,
but the majority of the book rubbed me the wrong way.

First of all, the book is about Ashley and Hunter,
but most of the book dwelt on Ashley and her desire to go to medical school.
The search for Hunter's birth mother didn't happen or get exciting
until the end of the book and by then I had completely lost interest.
The story was rather repetitive and to be honest quite dull.
I truly had a hard time making myself read each chapter.

There were many characters in this book 
and at times I had a hard time keeping up with each of them.
Because most of them were only mentioned for a line or two
it was easy to forget them and when I came across their names again later on
I had to search my memory as to what role they played in the book.

Ashley is a midwife which of course is someone that deals with the birth of babies.
There were a couple of times that Ashley delivered a baby,
but the author was quite graphic with the birthing process.
I understand giving birth is a natural thing and a beautiful gift from God,
but I did not think it was necessary to go into such detail of the process.
I would not recommend this book to a younger audience.

I am sad to say that I don't have much else to say about
The Mountain Midwife.
If you read other reviews on this book 
you will see there are some that are raving about how great the storyline is
and then you will read some reviews that are like mine 
and other found the story hard to get through.
I am simply giving my honest opinion, my friends,
and I know each one of us have different preferences when it comes to reading material.
This book gets 2 stars.

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from the 
TNZ Fiction Guild Team for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

6 comments:

Denise said...

nice review.

Christine said...

Hello Stephanie! I appreciate your honest review of this novel and I'm disappointed it failed to impress.
I've read an earlier midwife tale by Laurie Alice Eakes and can understand how her style of writing can drag on and seem repetitive.
Hoping you have a wonderful and blessed weekend!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

There are hits, then there are misses. That's life in the art world!

HOW ARE YOU my friend? Enjoy your weekend!

Daniela said...

My darling, your book reviews are always so well done, precise and useful, thank you for your honesty!
Sending blessings on your weekend, darest, precious Stephanie,
with sincere, deep love
Dany

SpicingUpIdaho said...

A good story can be ruined by poor storytelling. An honest review is necessary because not everyone who thinks they can write, can actually do so. I'm glad you were honest in sharing that the while the story line could have been exciting, instead the storytelling method failed. Have a blessed day my friend!

Mary E. Stephens said...

Thanks for your honest review. The title caught my attention as a potentially interesting read but, seeing what your wrote, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...