Saturday, March 19, 2016

An Unbroken Heart - Book Review

An argument. A crash. 
In an instant, Joanna’s world is changed forever.

One minute, Joanna Schrock was arguing with her parents, 
and the next, her parents’ lives were claimed in a hit-and-run buggy accident. 
Her body is broken, but her heart is in even deeper pain— 
after all, how do you cope with your parents’ deaths 
when your last words were spoken in anger?

After an extended stint in a physical rehabilitation center, 
Joanna re-enters her Amish life. 
But nothing is the same—not even her feelings for Andrew Beiler.

 Joanna has loved Andrew since the age of twelve, 
and her feelings have not changed throughout the years. 
She is thrilled when Andrew wants to get married, 
but she wonders whether it’s love he’s feeling, or pity. 
As the couple’s wedding date approaches, 
Joanna isn’t overcome with the deep joy she was hoping to feel; 
instead, she’s wracked with anxiety and guilt.

Joanna hears God whispering to her, Be strong and courageous, 
but she’s afraid that courage looks a lot like walking away from her dreams 
and into the plan of her Heavenly Father.

If Joanna takes the first step toward healing, 
will it cost her everything she’s ever wanted? 
Or could God be changing the desires of her heart?




My Thoughts
An Unbroken Heart is the second book
in the Amish of Birch Creek series.
The series is about three sisters.
Each sister suffered significantly during the tragedy of their parents death
and they each tell their story from a different perspective.
We all deal with things differently which is shown in the lives of these young ladies. . .
the healing process is unique for each one.

An Unbroken Heart was an easy read and fairly enjoyable.
I must confess that it did not capture my attention like the first book in the series
and I found myself wanting to skip to the end 
because the story seemed to drag on.
The characters were mediocre and in a way I never really connected with them.
Maybe that is why I found the story somewhat tiresome.
If the characters are not well-loved and appreciated 
it's difficult to absorb and understand their story.

I will say that I cannot imagine the pain Joanna suffered 
not just physically, but also mentally.
Losing ones parents while arguing will leave scars on the heart
and Joanna's road to recovery is a long one,
but one that she takes with determination.
Her strength comes from the Lord as does forgiveness and the joy for living.
She must simply learn to lean upon Him and trust His ways.
I applaud her resoluteness and admire her zeal.

While this book did not leave a deep impression on me
I appreciate the author and her talent for writing.
I enjoyed the first book and while An Unbroken Heart was not my favorite
I am looking forward to the third book in the series.
You can read my review for A Reluctant Bride by clicking here.

I am giving this book 3 stars.

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Kathleen Fuller is the author of several bestselling novels, 
including A Man of His Word and Treasuring Emma, 
as well as a middle-grade Amish series, the Mysteries of Middlefield. 
Visit her online at www.kathleenfuller.com

6 comments:

Melanie said...

I have several Amish fiction books that I have yet to read - sent to me by my cousin. I do enjoy them but at times, they can become a bit monotonous. Thanks for your review.

Christine said...

I appreciate your honest review, Stephanie. Kathleen Fuller is one of the better Amish authors I have read & I did enjoy the first one in this series very much.
Have a blessed weekend!

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Enjoyed your honest review. I think personally a skilled writer can take a dull story and make it exciting. If your attention is not captured and kept, it is not because of the story, but perhaps the skills of the author. Hope you are having a lovely Saturday! :)

Daniela said...

I love Amish stories, you know, and I was sure it to be so enthralling, but by your honest words I do understand that it's quite ... ordinary ...
Thank you for your review, so detailed and truly well done, my darling Stephanie,
sending blessings of joy on your weekend,
thinking of you with much, so much love and gratitude
Dany

Anne Payne said...

I haven't read Fuller's books, and admit to being a little burnt out on Amish fiction. Thanks for another well informed review!

Feral Turtle said...

I love your honesty Stephanie!! Thanks for an informative review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...