Friday, March 18, 2016

The Newsmakers - Book Review

TV reporter Erica Sparks has become a superstar overnight. 
Is it due to her hard work and talent, 
or is she at the center of a spiraling conspiracy? 

Erica Sparks is a beautiful and ambitious reporter 
who has just landed her dream job at Global News Network in New York. 
And while it was hard to leave Jenny, 
her cherished eight-year-old daughter, in the custody of her ex-husband, 
Erica is determined to succeed in the cutthroat world of big-time broadcasting. 
She can only hope her troubled past won’t come back to sabotage her dreams.

Although the wounds from her divorce are still fresh, 
Erica can’t deny the chemistry between her and her new producer, 
the handsome and empathic Greg Underwood. 
But a relationship is the last thing she wants right now. 

On her very first assignment, Erica inadvertently witnesses—and films—
a horrific tragedy, scooping all the other networks. 
Mere weeks later, another tragedy strikes—again, right in front of Erica and her cameras. 
Her career skyrockets overnight, but Erica is troubled. 
Deeply. 
This can’t just be coincidence. 
But what is it?

Erica will stop at nothing to uncover the truth. 
But she has to make sure disaster—and her troubled past—don’t catch up with her first.




My Thoughts
I am going to get straight to the point. . .
I was very disappointed with this book
and I will tell you why.
The Newsmakers is considered to be Christian suspense,
but I found nothing in this book Christ-like.
The only reference to faith was when Erica said the Serenity Prayer.
Now this is not my issue -
my issue is with the crude language, pure evilness, and suggestive scenes
which are things I don't personally appreciate.

I have said this before and I will say it again
when I pick up a book that is considered to be Christian
I hold it to higher standards than non-Christian.
I trust that the author will write a book that is clean and honoring to God,
When I pick up a book that is non-Christian
I know I may get language or suggestive scenes
which is why I don't typically read these kinds of books. 
It truly bothers me to see Christians lowering their standards
and writing books that are no different than secular fiction.
Why do we think lowering our standards will draw a bigger crowd? 
Don't we, believers of the one true God, have a higher calling?
A calling to be a shining light and testimony for Him,
a calling to glorify Him in all areas of our life
including what we do, say, think, and read.
I was not comfortable reading this book
and often thought to myself that the Lord would not be pleased 
with what I am putting in my mind.

I must say that I was very disgusted with this book
as well as with the Publisher.
I have lost all faith in Thomas Nelson Publishers
and unfortunately I don't trust their books.
I would not recommend this book to anyone.

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from the 
TNZ Fiction Guild Team for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

7 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I have to agree with you my friend. I am appalled by the intrusion of what many thing to be pluralistic, normal and accepting, but there are too many things being shoved into our minds through media, books, films, internet. I fear as a nation we have slipped into a very dangerous place by "accepting" too much that we know is NOT Christian. Yes, I too often wonder what Jesus is thinking when I am exposed to the language and content of the films I've watched. With books, I stay with the classics and poetry, but this infiltration is EVERYWHERE now.

Bless you and thank you for standing up for what is right.

Debbie said...

i am not a reader but your review was good. i feel bad that you did not enjoy it but this review will help many other people!!!!

Melanie said...

Yes, Stephanie, I agree that when a book is labeled Christian, I expect something different than what the world offers. Thanks for the frank review of this book.

Anne Payne said...

I'm sorry this one was a dud. I was hoping it would be good because it sounded intriguing. I really appreciate you telling it like it is. :-)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I've just recently started paying closer attention to your book reviews. I appreciate your honesty in this review. Kudos to you my friend.
Hoping the next book is better :)

Laura Lane said...

Wow! I am shocked that those things would be in the book. So unnecessary, too.
Thank you for the warning. I will be careful with Thomas Nelson, too.
Be blessed!
Laura

Delores Parks said...

Just read your blog today and I am very happy to know someone is standing up and answering honestly on a review. You are absolutely correct. If a writer is suppose to be a Christian it would not be written as a secular writer would present it. It should be held to a higher standard. I am sorry to hear about Thomas Nelson Publishers too. A shame we have to check out everything.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...