Saturday, May 21, 2016

Dawn at Emberwilde - Book Review

Hello, sweet friends of mine!
Long time no post, eh? :)
As many of you know I have been taking a break from blogging
and that break is still taking place.
While on my break I've been sent lots of books to read
from several publishing companies
and at the moment I am getting buried in literature. . .
which really isn't a bad thing {{smiles}}
Since my pile of books is only growing 
I thought it would be best if I wrote a few reviews while on my break.
I will be back to blogging soon,
but until then I hope you enjoy the book reviews
and I sincerely hope all of you are well.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Isabel Creston never dared to dream that love could be hers. 
Now, at the edge of a forest filled with dark secrets, 
she faces a fateful choice between love and duty.

For as long as she can remember, beautiful and free-spirited Isabel 
has strained against the rules and rigidity of the Fellsworth School 
in the rolling English countryside. 
No longer a student, Isabel set her sights on a steady role as a teacher at the school, 
a safe yet stifling establishment that would enable her to care for her younger sister Lizzie, 
who was left in her care after her father’s death.

The unexpected arrival of a stranger with news of unknown relatives 
turns Isabel’s small, predictable world upside down, 
sweeping her and her young charge into a labyrinth of intrigue and hidden motives.

At her new family’s invitation, Isabel and Lizzie relocate to Emberwilde, 
a sprawling estate adjacent to a vast, mysterious wood rife with rumors and ominous folklore-
along with whispers of something far more sinister. 
Perhaps even more startling, two handsome men begin pursuing Isabel, 
forcing her to learn the delicate dance between attraction, 
the intricate rules of courtship, and the hopes of her heart.

At Emberwilde Isabel will discover that the key to unlocking the mystery of her past 
may also open the door to her future and security. 
But first she must find it - in the depths of Emberwilde Forest.




My Thoughts
I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this book by Sarah E. Ladd.
Dawn at Emberwilde is the second book in the Treasures of Surrey series
and typically it seems like the second book in any series can be mediocre.
Well, not so with Dawn at Emberwilde.
If anything it was better than the first book in the series
and the first one was great.
I will be honest and say that I was in a "slump" with my reading.
I had started several books that simply weren't holding my attention,
but then I opened up Dawn at Emberwilde and I was pulled into the story of Isabel Creston.

Isabel has spunk and fire,
traits that help keep her armor on in a world where she thinks she is alone.
She has come to terms with the fact that she will likely be a teacher or governess
for the remainder of her life while making sure her little sister is well taken care of.
When she receives news that she has living relatives she is quite shocked
and her world, in a sense, is turned upside down.
These relatives seem kind and maybe even loving, 
but Isabel is confused as to why they would wait so many years to introduce themselves.
The longer she stays with her aunt, uncle, and cousin
the more she wonders if there is something else going on besides family taking care of their own.

While at Emberwilde Isabel is introduced to two men.
One seems to be quite the gentleman full of tender words and kind actions
while the other one comes across as reserved, quiet, and somewhat dangerous.
Both are intriguing, but one is not all that he seems.

You will find mystery, a little action, and sweet romance 
between the pages of Dawn at Emberwilde.
I was pleasantly pleased with this book and could easily read it again.
Sarah E. Ladd is an incredibly talented author
and her talent for writing a captivating story shines through in this book.
While Dawn at Emberwilde is the second book in the Treasures of Surrey series
it can easily be a stand alone novel.
A 4.5 star read!

You can read my review for the first book in the Treasures of Surrey series
by clicking on the link below:

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
and the Fiction Guild Team for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Sarah E. Ladd received the 2011 Genesis Award in historical romance 
for The Heiress of Winterwood. 
She is a graduate of Ball State University 
and has more than ten years of marketing experience. 
Sarah lives in Indiana with her amazing family and spunky Golden Retriever. 
Facebook: SarahLaddAuthor 
Twitter: @SarahLaddAuthor

26 comments:

Sherry Jolly said...

This sounds like a book that I would enjoy! I will have to check it out :)

Sherry

Anne Payne said...

Hey girl! Excellent review, as always. A sweet reviewer friend of mine is sending me this book so I know I will enjoy it from your review. Hope you're enjoying your break!
Love ya, kiddo...

Consider It All Joy said...

It sounds like you are an avid reader, that is a good thing. My 11 year old granddaughter read over 50 books during the past school year, I can't imagine! Enjoy your Sunday with your family! Blessings, Cindy xo

Red Rose Alley said...

Ooooo, this sounds like a good book, right up my alley. ;) I must get back to reading! Stepanie, my dear, I got your surprise in the mail! Thank you so much for the birthday card, the gift tag, and the English Breakfast tea, which I'm sipping on right now. You know, English Breakfast is my favorite! I was so excited when I opened the card, and you addressed it so nicely with different stickers and such. I cut out and kept one of the stickers because I loved it so much. It was the "positive" one. Thank you, my friend, for thinking of me on my special day. I'm so glad to have you in my life as well.

love, ~Sheri

Elizabeth said...

Hello, dear Stephanie! How lovely to see a post of yours popping up in my newsfeed :) I've missed your lovely posts, but I truly hope you are enjoying your little break! I also wanted to say thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog this afternoon....I hope you and your dear mother have a lovely tea time! What a perfect little celebration ♥ Enjoy, my friend!

I am eagerly awaiting your return to the Blogging Land, but until then, I wish you a wonderful, relaxing, and peaceful break! Talk to you soon {{smiles}}

Have a beautiful Sunday! Much love and many hugs!
~Libby

Alex said...

Oooh, that sounds good...I love anything with forests in it!
Hope your break is full of lovely things and peace :)
Many blessings, dear Stephanie.

Anna said...

Reading is good !!!!
I can end a day without reading a book....
Take care !
Hug
Anna

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My friend, I have missed you greatly. I hope your time off gives you even more opportunity to read to your heart's desire. As school unwinds and ends for me in the next 2 weeks, I too look forward to more reading!

Lisa said...

This books sounds deliriously yummy! Romance, the English countryside, mystery! What's not to love?! I'm putting this on my summer reading list!

mamasmercantile said...

Hope you are enjoying the break and having some quality time catching up with other things. Tale care.

Nina said...

Thank you for the review, Stephanie - 4.5 starts is a great score.
I am collecting at the moment some good titles to summer vacation reading (I take a Kindle with me). Enjoy the spring & coming summer ... the break with books, gardening and creativity!
Blessings & hugs to you, sweet friend,
Nina

doodles n daydreams said...

I have never read any books by this author but may look her out at the library. Tomorrow is library day :)
Thanks for the review.

Diana

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dear heart...thank you for visiting my blog post and my spring love....

I look forward to hearing from you when you are able!

Christine said...

Hello sweet Stephanie & thank you for this review. I will definitely look forward to reading this novel!
Enjoy your break & be blessed!

Creations By Cindy said...

Sounds like a good summer read! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Deborah Montgomery said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your break with some good books to read! This one sounds like a perfect one to curl up with. Enjoy, and praying for a restful, restorative time for you, sweet friend. xo Deborah

Feral Turtle said...

Going to add this to my list! Glad you are taking time for yourself! You deserve it!!

Elizabeth said...

I was so glad to Dee a post from you. I have missed them! Enjoy your break and your reading!

Gina said...

Stephanie, I can totally relate to needing a blogging break. I am finally feeling better and itching to write on my homemaking blog.

http://www.thegentleartofhomemaking.com

Thank you for the book recommendation. I will add it to my list!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This definitely sounds like a book I would enjoy. Now that things are slowing down at church for the summer I hope to find more time for reading!

Things and Thoughts said...

Just a quick hello dear Stephanie! Hope you are doing fine my friend!
Wishing you a nice day
Olympia

Lady Linda said...

Reading is a great way rest and a good way to break from blogging and all. Of course we miss your lovely posts. I have been so busy with other things...all good. I have been blogging a bit but haven't had the chance to visit my blogger friends. Some projects are over, so maybe I will get back to blogging. Hugs...know that you are always in my thoughts.
Love,
Linda

handmade by amalia said...

Sounds like a fun read.
Amalia
xo

Lowcarb team member said...

Well as your other dear blogging friends have commented this does indeed sound very interesting.

I think you are doing great with your reviews.

All the best Jan

Sara - My Woodland Garden said...

Hello dear Stephanie, thank you for these interesting book reviews!
This book sounds lovely, indeed one I would enjoy to read.
Have a blessed day! Hugs!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Stephanie, you are an *excellent* book review writer! Right now I'm working my way through a stack of books passed along to me by a friend who was decluttering her shelves a few months ago. I'll have to add this one to my list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...