Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Beautiful Pretender - Book Review

Hello, my lovely and kind friends!
I am just popping in to share another book review with you 
while on my blogging break.
Yes, I am still taking a break {{smiles}}
I must confess that it's been quite the break 
as my darling husband came down with a nasty bug that lasted 6 days.
After that my little one was down for 4 days.
And you guessed it, I was the last one to get sick.
I've been under the weather for a week now,
but today is the first day that I did not have a fever and my cough is getting better-
praise the Lord!
I guess the Lord knew I would need this time for a break :)
Please know that I miss all of you very much!
Love and hugs!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After inheriting his title from his brother, 
the margrave has two weeks to find a noble bride. 
What will happen when he learns he has fallen for a lovely servant girl in disguise?

The Margrave of Thornbeck has to find a bride, fast. 
He invites ten noble born ladies who meet the king’s approval 
to be his guests at Thornbeck Castle for two weeks, 
a time to test these ladies and reveal their true character.

Avelina has only two instructions: 
keep her true identity a secret and make sure the margrave doesn’t select her as his bride. 
Since the latter seems unlikely, she concentrates on not getting caught. 
No one must know she is merely a maidservant, 
sent by the Earl of Plimmwald to stand in for his daughter, Dorothea.

Despite Avelina’s best attempts at diverting attention from herself, 
the margrave has taken notice. 
And try as she might, she can’t deny her own growing feelings. 
But something else is afoot in the castle. 
Something sinister that could have far worse—far deadlier—consequences.




My Thoughts
Charming. . .simply charming!
A grown-up fairytale with a delightful ending
that will leave you smiling for hours after finishing the book.

The Margrave of Thornbeck has received a letter from the king himself
suggesting he choose a bride in an attempt to bring unity between the nobleman of the country.
"Oh bother!" is what the Margrave is thinking, but he can't deny the king
so in an attempt to satisfy the king's request he asks for the company of several noble born ladies
and oh boy, is he in for the time of his life!

Sweet Avelina is but a maidservant,
but when her mistress runs off with her father's Knight
right before she is to go to the Margrave of Thornbeck's home
Avelina must become Lady Dorothea in order to maintain peace and unity
with the Margrave of Thornbeck.
All she has to do is play the part of a lady
and under no circumtance is she to draw attention to herself
especially attention from the Margrave. . .

I was simply delighted by The Beautiful Pretender
and found it to be the perfect medieval fairy tale.
The characters are flawless and exceptionally enjoyable.
I especially fell in love with Avelina, the Margrave, and Lady Magdalen.
A beautiful story of tender love, kindness, and forgiveness!
I am happy to give this book 5 stars.

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Melanie Dickerson is the author of The Healer’s Apprentice, a Christy Award finalist
and winner of the National Reader’s Choice Award for Best First Book.
Melanie earned a bachelor’s degree in special education
from the University of Alabama and has been a teacher and a missionary.
She lives with her husband and two daughters in Huntsville, Alabama.
Visit her on line at melaniedickerson.com 
Facebook: MelanieDickersonBooks
Twitter @melanieauthor

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

I wrote a book review for The Magnolia Duchess before this one
which you can read by clicking here.

25 comments:

sarah said...

The book sounds lovely. I am so sorry your family has been unwell, I hope you are all better very soon.

Daniela said...

Thanks for this lovely end enthusiastic review, my darling Stephanie, I so love Medieval novels !

Take care, sweetie, sending blessings of joy to you all, with so much gratitude

Dany

P.S.: I'm missing you ... !

Mary E. Stephens said...

So, I learned a new word today - margrave. :-)

I'm sorry to hear about all the sickness you've had in your home! I'm glad that things are looking up. May the Lord grant you a full recovery soon. I know how difficult a cough can be sometimes to get past.

Do you ever write fiction yourself?

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Sounds like a good read! Feel better soon and put all that sickness behind you. Summer is coming!

Sarah said...

So sorry to hear that your family has been under the weather! We all just got over nasty colds here too.

This story sounds delightful! Just perfect to read while sipping tea and recovering. : )

I hope you will feel better soon!!

Mimi said...

Dearest Stephanie, I am pleased to hear you are on the mend. It's flu season here and as yet, we are untouched, but I'm sure that won't last! I love the sound of this book. I am a great fan of Phillipa Gregory and her historical novels featuring the path of the British monarchy, so this sounds right up my alley! I'll be sure to grab a copy. Sending love, Mimi xxx

Tamago said...

Oh, Stephanie, I am so sorry you and your family got sick. Glad you are on the mend. I hope you will make full recovery soon!
The book sounds wonderful. I like story with ending that makes you smile. Sometimes good read is ruined by terrible ending...!
Have a lovely weekend. Sending hugs xoxo

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My sweetheart! HELLO! I am sorry to hear you were all sick! This is a time to be running about in nature and rejoicing over God's amazing creation. I hope you all get well very soon. I also hope that your break is relaxing and will shape your future for blogging. May new doors of opportunity open for you. Now off to your email! HUGS! ANita

Kim said...

Oh dear, I do hope you are all better soon. I can't think of a better way to recuperate than reading a good book. Get well soon, sweet Stephanie. Xx

Lady of the Manor said...

Hi, Stephanie, sorry to hear you were under the weather. My hubby was sick last week but none of us has come down with it yet so we're keeping our fingers crossed. This book sounds like a great summer read. Thanks for the review. I'm enjoying Julian Fellows new book, 'Belgravia' and am enjoying it. Zenda'

Lowcarb team member said...

So sorry to read that you and your family have not been too well ... hopefully the nasty bug will be gone very soon.

Enjoying your reviews though, thank you.

All the best Jan

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh sweet friend and dear family, I hope that nasty bug leaves your home and never comes back! Thankfully, you're all on the mend, but it's so hard when the mom is sick.
I think this book is one that I would love and I am going to find it. I love a good fairy tale! Hugs to you!

Alex said...

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery, Stephanie, what a struggle it must have been the last little while. Moms have to keep going, as you no doubt did..sorry you caught it too.
You have made the book sound like a really good, un-put-downable read, I will keep a note of it.
Look after yourself, and get well. Hugs!

Margie said...

I'm sorry to hear that your family has been sick. That must be a nasty bug to have you and your hubby out of commission for a week. Yikes! I hope you feel better soon so that you can enjoy the beautiful weather. We're finally enjoying summer-like weather here!

Carol Z said...

The book sounds great. Stopping by to say hello and wish you and your husband lots of healthy days soon!

Christine said...

Dear Stephanie, I do hope you are all feeling much better & I sympathise as last week I came down with a bug also. glad to be back to my usual self today!
Thanks for recommending this novel & this author, whose novels I was hesitant to read but I will now based on your recommendation !
Praying you have a restful & pleasant week!

Kerin said...

Boo... not good to read that you've been battling a nasty bug. Get well soon, and I hope you stay healthy :)

Nice book review. It's always good to hear of another good book to add to the list.

I cleaned out our library recently, and stacked all the 'must read soon' books together. Hoping to get through them all this summer.

Take care..
~K.

Rosemary and Thyme said...

I've been thinking of you sweet friend and just wanted to stop by to say hello. I am sorry to learn that you and your family have been ill. My hugs and blessings to you all. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Hugs,

Janet

Delvalina Tuanger said...

Hello Sister,
I love how you did your review! I am so so happy that I am back and see your beautiful blog.
Sean just fixed the computer for me to blogging so I am very happy to blogging my new life here.
God is just so faithful :) I truly believe that we will visit you someday :)
Thank you for keep posting about this, Sean started to get books from BookLook few months ago and I wanted to do it too :)

Praying for you and your family. Sorry about you being sick. and we read your message for the wedding RSVP.

Blessing,
Eva

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Sorry that you and your family have been under the weather, but good that things you are recovering. A good break is sometimes needed :)

Lauren at Wonderfully Made said...

I am going to be going back over your reviews when our vacation time rolls around so I can find which books to take to read! Keep getting better!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Stephanie, wish I had a charming book to read today. I'm just in the mood to settle in with not just a book, but a charming book, cup of tea and small plate of cookies. And maybe bring the cat in for good measure.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Looks like you have been reading a lot! A great way to take a break. Happy June to you.

handmade by amalia said...

Sounds like fun and light summer reading. Enjoy the break!
Amalia
xo

andrea chiu said...

I am so glad to read your wonderful article. Im looking forward to read more of your works and posts. You did a good job! Try to visit my site too and enjoy.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...