Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Magnolia Duchess - Book Review

Hello, my lovely and kind friends!
I am just popping in to share another book review with you 
while on my blogging break.
Yes, I am still taking a break {{smiles}}
I must confess that it's been quite the break 
as my darling husband came down with a nasty bug that lasted 6 days.
After that my little one was down for 4 days.
And you guessed it, I was the last one to get sick.
I've been under the weather for a week now,
but today is the first day that I did not have a fever and my cough is getting better-
praise the Lord!
I guess the Lord knew I would need this time for a break :)
Please know that I miss all of you very much!
Love and hugs!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fiona Lanier is the only woman in the tiny Gulf Coast settlement of Navy Cove. 
While her shipbuilding family races to fill the demand 
for American ships brought by the War of 1812, 
Fiona tries to rescue her brother who was forced into service by the British Navy.

Lieutenant Charlie Kincaid has been undercover for six months, 
obtaining information vital to the planned British invasion of New Orleans. 
When a summer storm south of Mobile Bay wrecks his ship and scatters the crew, 
Charlie suffers a head injury, 
ultimately collapsing in the arms of a beautiful mermaid who seems eerily familiar. 
As Charlie's memory returns in agonizing jags and crashes, 
he and Fiona discover that falling in love may be as inevitable as the tide. 
But when political loyalties begin to collide, 
they'll each have to decide where their true heart lies.




My Thoughts
The Magnolia Duchess written by Beth White
is the 3rd book in the Gulf Coast Chronicles.
You can read the review for The Creole Princess by clicking here.

First of all, Beth White is a talented author
who knows how to work hard and plan an exceptional story.
I have found in the two books that I have read by her
that she has diligently done her research
 and she provides the reader with an interesting and accurate historical account.
I applaud Beth's skill and I appreciate her detailed writing when it comes to history.

With that being said. . .
I found the story to fall a little flat.
And by flat I simply mean that the story was slow. . .too slow.
I enjoyed the characters and found many of them to be charming and full of wit, 
though there were several romances taking place throughout the story
and at times it was tiring trying to keep up with three different couples.
I will say that Fiona and Charlie {the two main characters} 
were precious and very endearing.

I give the historical aspect of the book 5 stars,
the characters get 4 stars,
and the story itself gets 3 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Beth White is the award-winning author of The Pelican Bride.
A native Mississippian, she teaches music at an inner-city high school
in historic Mobile, Alabama.
Her novels have won the American Christian Fiction Writers' Carol Award,
the RT Book Club Reviewers' Choice Award,
and the Inspirational Readers' Choice Award.
Learn more at www.bethwhite.net

2 comments:

Daniela said...

What a pity, I always trust your reviews and I was enthusiastic for this book, but going on reading your post, I lost my enthusiasm, alas ....
Thank you dearest friend for your so well done and honest reviews, you're always so very precious to me, my lovely !

Hope you all are getting better and better I wish you all my best for you holiday weekend, sending blessings on your Memorial Day.

With my dearest love

Dany

mamasmercantile said...

You are in my prayers and hope you feel better soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...