Saturday, June 25, 2016

All Summer Long - Book Review

Tia gets a second chance at love 
when an old crush suddenly reappears.

Tia D'Amico is thrilled to move to San Francisco 
to help her aunt transform an old luxury yacht into an upscale floating restaurant. 
What's not to love? 
Sunset dinner cruises, upscale wedding receptions - the possibilities are endless 
and far more appetizing than staying in a monotonous job in her Podunk hometown. 
Besides, some of her best memories are tied to San Francisco-
especially the memory of Leo Parker, 
her crush from a long-ago sailing camp.

When the self same Leo Parker turns out to be the yacht's captain, Tia is floating on air. 
But will it all come crashing down around her 
when she discovers his heart belongs to someone else?

Get ready for a romantic summer in San Francisco, 
where the future glistens brighter than the bay at sunset.




My Thoughts
This book is the second installment in the Follow Your Heart Series
and can be read as a stand alone book.
You can read my review for Once Upon a Summertime here.

All Summer Long is a very easy and light-hearted read.
It's a book you can grab and enjoy by the pool 
or while sitting under a tree during a hot afternoon.
While it was an enjoyable book it was not one of my favorites.

First of all, Tia D'Amico was a delightful character
and I thoroughly enjoyed her upbeat and happy personality throughout the book.
She is also very loyal to her friends and family 
and would do anything for them.

Leo on the other hand was so-so.
I wish the author would have given the readers more with Leo
as his personality simply fell flat for me.
It seemed like any romantic connection between these two
was one-sided meaning it was all on Tia's side.
There was no real connection for me
and by the time any connection came it was too late as the book was almost over.

At times I felt as though I was reading a young adult type of book
because the storyline was shallow here and there.
And often the characters {who are in their late 20's} 
would talk like teenagers. . .there was nothing deep or meaningful.

My last "issue" has to do with the faith that was hardly mentioned in All Summer Long.
This book is labeled as "Christian," but the Christan aspect was missing from the pages.
Oh, the characters went to church a couple of times, but that was it. . .
no mention of our great God and Heavenly Father.
Alcohol was mentioned several times
and one of the main characters {who claimed to be a Christian}
was often getting drunk whenever she went out to supper.
If you have been reading my reviews for a certain length of time
than you know that this is my personal opinion
and you know I have a problem with books that claim to be "Christian" 
but are no different from secular fiction.
I know I say this a lot,
but we as believers of Christ have a high calling to be set apart. . .
to be a testimony for Him.
When we claim to be a follower of Jesus,
but do things that are opposed to him than how are we being a light?
I truly beileve there needs to be a difference
and I didn't find that difference in this book.
If this book was not labeled "Christian"
than I wouldn't be writing this because it's not expected in a secular book.

Again, this is my personal and honest opinion.

I'm giving this book three stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books
with sales of more than 6.5 million.
She received a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award
in the inspirational market for her many books, including Finding Alice.
She and her husband live in central Oregon.
Learn more at www.melodycarlson.com 

7 comments:

MELODY JACOBS said...

nice one
http://www.melodyjacob.com/

Sarah said...

Stephanie,

I always appreciate your honest reviews! I too have been disappointed with modern Christian fiction. One of my favorite Christian authors is Grace Livingston Hill. Even though her books were written in the early 20th century, they have inspired me. Not sure if you have read any of her books, but I would highly recommend them!

-Sarah

Barbara Neubeck said...

.. so disappointing to find a book not living up to expectations.....
Have a wonderful Sunday.. xxxx
..hugs.. Barb xxxx

Tamago said...

Sorry the book was not so good for you. I've read several books that ended up quite disappointing. Honest reviews always help :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I truly appreciate and respect your personal opinions my friend. You are right. We must be wise as serpents, etc.....while there will always be sin in everyone of us, one thing that we must never overlook that we must CHANGE. Yes, there are lovely people who have struggles, and we are called to love them and through our actions, show them the love of Jesus. I believe that once we do that and continue to do that, all of us have the responsibility to CHANGE our ways. But in this day and age, that CHANGE is not necessarily part of the faith, is it! Many say, "Accept me the way God has made me" and it appears that certain behaviors are normal now, but as a believer in a gracious but HOLY GOD, I sometimes struggle with that. I often wonder in total ignorance if this is God's will, for anyone of us who claim to be believers to stay as we are. So I agree that we are called to a much higher calling of living like Jesus. OH YES.

Thank you for always sharing your honest opinion, and for standing your ground as a believe in a holy, perfect God who calls us to be perfect as well.

Melanie said...

Thank you for your honest review. I think I would get bored with this book pretty quickly. I too have a problem with characters that are portrayed as Christian but their actions seem to go a different way. If God is not honored in a book, then I don't know that it should be labeled "Christian". Have a blessed day.

Anne Payne said...

I'm sorry to hear this book was such a disappointment. I've read some of Carlson's books and always enjoyed them. Regretfully, there is a movement among Christian writers called 'edgy' and this book sounds like it belongs in that category, which is one I don't read! Thanks for your honest opinion on the book. Love you, girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...