Saturday, June 04, 2016

Anchor In The Storm - Book Review

Happy day, lovelies!
I have another book review for you.
One I hope you will enjoy as I myself thoroughly enjoyed this book.
I wanted to thank all of you for the kind comments and emails
concerning my family and I being ill.
All of us are much better now and have made a complete recovery.
I wanted to let you know that I hope to return to blogging sometime next week
so that means you will start to get more than just book reviews {{smiles}}
I am very excited to reconnect with all of you
as I have missed you greatly.
Have a beautiful and blessed weekend!
Much love to you.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

One Plucky Female Pharmacist + One High-Society Naval Officer 
= Romance and Danger

For plucky Lillian Avery, America's entry into World War II 
means a chance to prove herself as a pharmacist in Boston. 
The challenges of her new job energize her. 
But society boy Ensign Archer Vandenberg's attentions only annoy-
even if he is her brother's best friend.

During the darkest days of the war, 
Arch's destroyer hunts German U-boats in vain 
as the submarines sink dozens of merchant ships along the East Coast. 
Still shaken by battles at sea, 
Arch notices his men also struggle with their nerves - and with drowsiness. 
Could there be a link to the large prescriptions for sedatives Lillian has filled? 
The two work together to answer that question, 
but can Arch ever earn Lillian's trust and affection?

Sarah Sundin brings World War II to life, 
offering readers an intense experience they won't soon forget.




My Thoughts
I will start off by saying I absolutely loved, loved, loved Anchor in the Storm.
I had the joy of reading the first book Through Waters Deep
in the Waves of Freedom Series.
You can read the review for the first book by clicking here.
When I opened the first book written by the talented Sarah Sundin
I was taken away to another time in our history
and was completely captivated by the characters and their lives.
Sarah Sundin did that very same thing when I started reading Anchor in the Storm.
Like the description says,
"Sarah Sundin brings World War II to life, 
offering readers an intense experience they won't soon forget."
I have been extremely impressed by Sarah's writing
and her ability to weave a story that is so compelling and riveting
that it will make you feel as though you have stepped through the pages of time
and when the last page has been read you will be sad to see the story come to an end.

The characters in Anchor in the Storm were absolutely delightful
and the two main characters, Lillian and Archer, were a joy to read about.
Both have different backgrounds, but both have faced difficulties and trials,
and through those struggles they realize they must trust God in all areas.
The title is Anchor in the Storm
and throughout the book you will find the characters trusting God to be their Anchor.
As they begin to focus upon trusting the Lord they begin to encourage each other spiritually
and as a precious friendship forms they both realize 
there could be more to their feelings than simple friendship.
I was impressed with the speed of Lillian and Archer's relationship 
and enjoyed the fact that they formed a friendship first that later turned into romance.
Sometimes relationships can happen at an unbelievable pace in a book
when the characters {who have just met} are in a romantic relationship by the third chapter
or some relationships are super slow and nothing happens until the end of the book.
Sarah did an excellent and believable job in pacing this sweet relationship
and I enjoyed every moment along the way.

There are several characters in this book that will touch your heart.
I especially enjoyed Warren Palonsky and was shocked to find out what happened to him!
You will have to read the book to learn about this charming and funny man {{smiles}}
Jim and Mary who are the main characters in the first book
were mentioned several times and it was a delight to reconnect with them.
Also, Quintessa who was in the first book was brought onto the scene in Anchors in the Storm.
I believe the third book in the series will be about her
and I must say that I am very excited to find out what happens to her.
You don't necessarily need to read the first book Through Waters Deep
in order to read the second one,
but I would recommend doing so simply because both books are amazing
and it will aquaint you with some of the characters that are mentioned in both books.

Anchor in the Storm is definitely a 5 star book in my eyes.
The history is well-portrayed and the author through her talented writing
brings World War II alive for the reader.
There is romance, mystery, history, and excitement found in the pages of this book.
You will also find the spiritual aspect in this book to be beautiful and very encouraging.
I could go on and on, but I will close this review with these words. . .
Anchor in the Storm is a book you likely will not regret reading.
The plot is incredible, the story-telling is flawless, and the characters are marvelous.
Everything about this book is wonderful and enjoyable.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Sarah Sundin is the award-winning author of the Wings of Glory
and Wings of the Nightingale series.
During WWII, her grandfather served as a pharmacist's mate (medic)
in the Navy and her great-uncle flew with the US Eighth Air Force in England.
Sarah lives in California with her husband and three children.
Learn more at www.sarahsundin.com. 

15 comments:

Camille said...

Thank you, once again, Stephanie for sharing your reviews. I appreciate the time you take to do so. I have put some of your suggestions into my cart at Christian Books for future gifts for Emma....she is SUCH a reader! I am planning to loan "Secrets She Kept" to our homeschool support teacher for the summer. :) I'm happy to hear that you are all feeling better. It's a nasty thing to be sick as a family....hopefully you will all stay well now. Many Blessings, Camille

Elizabethd said...

So pleased that you are feeling better now.

Simply Linda said...

I am so glad your feeling better now...smiles...looking forward to you return, friend.

Sandy said...

Thanks Stephanie - I am definitely going to get this book - especilly since you love, love, loved it!!
sandy xx

Sandy said...

Failed to notice that you have been sick - much better now I hope. i really do enjoy your book reviews.
sandy xx

Tamago said...

I'm so glad you've fully recovered, Stephanie!
The book sounds wonderful. I'd enjoy history and believable development of relationship :-)
Have a wonderful weekend xoxo

Elizabeth said...

Such a lovely book review, my friend! You have a way of sharing about books that just encourages others to go and pick up the book and read it for themselves :) So, with that said, I have another book to add to my list! {[smiles}} It sounds like such an attention-keeping read!

I am so looking forward to your return to Bloggy Land, Stephanie! Your posts are always a bright spot in the day and I appreciate your thoughts and inspirations! I am getting ready to go on a blogging break myself for a good part of the summer and I'm so looking forward to getting some time away from the internet to just be refreshed :)

Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, dear friend! Have a blessed Sunday ♥

Much love and joy to you,
Libby

Mindy Whipple said...

Your reviews are always delightful. Happy you are on the mend and look forward to your future posts : )

shortybear said...

nice review

Melanie said...

I'm glad you are finally feeling better, my friend. This does sound like a wonderful book! Thank you for the review.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I know you're so thankful that all of you are well, my friend! Your book review makes me wanting to read this book, too. Thank you for your honest reviews for I know when you truly love a book! May you and your sweet family have a wonderful week! Love and blessings are sent to you!

Cheryl said...

I'm so sorry you all have been so ill, dear friend. And, so sorry it has taken me so terribly long to get back with you. I have hardly had time to be on the computer lately. I am glad to hear you will be blogging again soon....you are certainly missed. Sending you much love and praising God that all of you are feeling better!

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased to read you and your family are feeling much better now.

Another good review, and it does sound as if it's a book I'd enjoy.

All the best Jan

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Thank you for sharing your book review, dear Stephanie, and I am so glad to hear that you and your family are feeling better! This book sounds like something I would love to read. Sweet hugs xo Karen

Sarah Sundin said...

Thank you for the lovely review, Stephanie! I'm so glad you enjoyed Arch & Lillian's story! And I hope you all feel better soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...