Tuesday, June 28, 2016

The Stars and Stripes Forever

Let martial note in triumph float
And liberty extend its mighty hand
A flag appears ‘mid thunderous cheers,
The banner of the Western land.
The emblem of the brave and true
Its folds protect no tyrant crew;
The red and white and starry blue
Is freedom’s shield and hope.
Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom’s nation.




Hurrah for the flag of the free!
May it wave as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.




Let eagle shriek from lofty peak
The never-ending watchword of our land;
Let summer breeze waft through the trees
The echo of the chorus grand.
Sing out for liberty and light,
Sing out for freedom and the right.
Sing out for Union and its might,
O patriotic sons.
Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation,
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom’s nation.
- John Philip Sousa -




My dear friends,
I hope you are well and enjoying these last days of June.
It's always a delight to have you visit
and I hope you enjoy today's little project.

I made some shabby American flags that I tucked into a patriotic jar
and I thought maybe you might want to make some to place around your home
during this wonderful time of year.




Supplies Needed:

fabric with stars on it
scrap lace
red and white checked fabric or ribbon
buttons
twigs
hot glue gun and glue
needle and thread




The fabric with stars on it is 4 1/2-inches x 6 1/2-inches.
I tore  1/2-inch wide stripes out of the checked fabric for a sweet shabby look
and hand sewed them onto the flag for a Primitive look and feel.
I used my sewing machine to sew on the scrap lace.

I applied hot glue to the backside edge of the flag
and folded it over a twig.




A scrap piece of lace was added  over the top two stripes of the flag
and each button was sewed on.




I found the jar at Hobby Lobby
and filled it with Spanish moss.
I tucked the flags into the moss
and added some pretty red berries and cream pearls.




I placed the flags on my dining room table. . .




but they also look pretty by the flag that I made last week.
You can find the tutorial for that project here.




Hurrah for the flag of the free!
May it wave as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.
- John Philips Sousa -




Hugs, joy, and blessings 
to you, my friends!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

and enjoy 20% off your entire order.
This offer is good through the 4th of July.


49 comments:

Kathleen TheLavenderBouquet said...

Stephanie,
What a lovely post. You are so creative...the flag is so very special with all of the details you have included. Thank you for sharing! Happy 4th!
Kathleen

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful project! I loved reading the song lyric from Sousa, they are grand!

Anna said...

Original, unique and beautiful !!!
Have a lovely day !
Anna

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Your flags are great fun. Loved them!!
Have a wonderful 4th July Stephanie :)

Alex said...

Look at those! So cute and much nicer than any mass produced decoration.
Enjoy a very happy time on 4th July and at the week end, Stephanie.
Thanks ever so for your kind visit to me, too.

Lynn Bean said...

These flags are so sweet Dear Stephanie! You are very creative my friend! Thank you for sharing and happy 4th!

Tamago said...

Another beautiful project. I have a general image of American flag being rather muscular - I love how you can make them so sweet and elegant :-) And such delicate work with red berries and cream pearls! Love your creation. Have a wonderful holiday ahead!

Debbie Harris said...

When I saw these on my Google account I fell in line with them, Stephanie. You food a great job adding the lace stripes and stars, just lovely.
Have a wonderful day~

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOod morning dear Stephanie! Like always, you capture an iconic subject and take it beyond by adding your touch. THANK YOU for your sweet inspiration! Enjoy these last few days of June!

Terra Hangen said...

I love the stirring words to the song, and your flags are original and pretty.

mamasmercantile said...

Beautiful, a great project. Perfect for the season.

20 North Ora said...

Stephanie - Love your little shabby chic flags. So cute. I think I may have my little great granddaughter help me make some of those. I think she could do those. Great idea. Love your big flag also. Have a great week.

Judy

Simply Linda said...

Loveeeeeeeee ittttttttttttttt!!! Your so talented, Stephanie...smiles---have a joyful rest of the week.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Aren't those the sweetest little primitive looking flags?? I love them, Stephanie, and thank you for sharing how you made them. Wouldn't they be cute as a bunting, too? Happy 4th to you and your dear family. I'm traveling tonight to visit my mom for her birthday. It'll be nice to be with her. Please say a prayer for me as a travel, if you will. Love you!

tealady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Hutchins said...

Your flags are so cute and your table setting is too. Blessings for a great 4th of July!

Debby Ray said...

Simply adorable and oh, so patriotic! This looks like fun and easy project...thanks for the tutorial! I hope you and your have a fun-filled 4th of July! Hugs!

Joyful said...

You have a beautiful centerpiece for your upcoming holiday. Happy July 4th!

Anne Payne said...

Sweet Stephanie, You NEVER cease to amaze me with your creativity! These are splendid flags for our nation's birthday. Bravo, my dear!!!
Love & hugs :-)

Daniela said...

Dearest, wonderful Stephanie,
I so love the American flag, its meaning always touches my heart, and those little ones you've sewed, in the delightful vintage-style, have truly won my heart, blessed be, sweetie !

I wish you a most joyful 4th of July ever, sending all my love to you and your dear ones

Xx Dany

Norma Ruttan said...

another gem with our country's colors!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Stephanie, I sure love your darling homespun patriotic flags. How cute displayed in the blue jar as a centerpiece. Perfect for the 4th of July.
You are always amazing and your talents just shine. Thank you for always inspiring with your treasured projects. Have a great last week of June.
Blessings always. xo

Cheryl said...

Oh, how pretty! You did such a great job! Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. :)

Wanda said...

My dear Stephanie ~ no one has the special touch you have when you "touch" something. Ordinary pieces of fabric, a little lace, and something magical appears. What a special gift you have...and how you share it with others.
Love you so.

Margie said...

You come up with the cutest craft projects, Stephanie!

Jill said...

How precious! Love how you put this together in a little arrangement. :-) Have a lovely evening.

Blessings,
Jill

Mari said...

Your shabby flags are adorable! Hooray for the red, white and blue!

Amy at love made my home said...

Very patriotic and very pretty too!

KimM said...

So creative! Thank you for sharing such a sweet and heartfelt idea.
xxx

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh my goodness! How adorable! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Miss Val's Creations said...

Another beautiful flag design! You are so talented Stephanie. :)

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

I always host a 4th of July bbq and haven't found a "perfect" centerpiece. Most of the ones I like take up too much room on the table. Your homemade flags are adorable and impressive. The lace really completes the look. Thank you so much for sharing your talents and creativity. You always create such personable and meaningful items.
Happy 4th!

Sandy said...

I love your flags - they are so expressive of heart and home and the deep feelings I think are really present in the Southern United States.
Thank you!
Sandy xx

Beatrice Euphemie said...

Love your sweet, patriotic flags, Dear Stephanie, and all the patriotic writings. Happy 4th - have fun celebrating! Hugs and blessings xo Karen

Christine said...

Love the Flags! Even live the cute little star vase!!

Mimi said...

Dear Stephanie, what a creative hand and eye you have! These are your flag, without being 'The Flag'. I love them so much! We are off to a USA v Canada Ice Hockey match in our city here in Australia this Saturday night. I think I'll make some of these to take with us! Lots of Love, Mimi xxx

Lowcarb team member said...

Your flags are great...

Enjoy this last day of June, and I wish you a happy July, especially the 4th!

Take care and all good wishes

All the best Jan

God's Grace Overflows said...

What cute little flags and wonderful to have to celebrate our freedom!
Wonderful post!
Enjoy your week!
Hugs, Amy

Merlesworld said...

Our national day is the 26th January yours the 4th of July notice we have our national day holiday in mid summer someone was thinking right when they decided on the day.
Merle...........

Beauty Editer said...

I like! Thank you for sharing.

** Join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!


BEAUTYEDITER.COM
INSTAGRAM @BEAUTYEDITER

Hope said...

Good morning dear Stephanie,

What a very pretty and creative idea - your flags are adorable!

How fast June has slipped by, and on Monday we will be celebrating the 4th of July! I have been enjoying these summer days. I hope that each summer day is full of special moments with your dear little boy and sweet husband.

Love and hugs,
♥Hope

Vee said...

They are so very cute and I wish that I could whip up a few.

Lisa said...

Stephanie your flags are adorable! They look so sweet in the jars and are perfect for the holiday ahead! Thanks for the how-to.;-)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Love the patriotic fun decor! You have such a great eye for decorating and creating things!
Hope you and your family have a great weekend :)

Consider It All Joy said...

WooHoo sweet Stephanie, I might be able to manage making these cute flags withOUT a sewing machine :) Blessings, Cindy xo

Conniecrafter said...

Oh Stephanie, I so love your sweet little flags, I like the torn strips in combo with the lace, such a fun look. The red and pearl berries are so pretty with it. Your heart with the roses is just to sweet also, looks like your already for celebrating this weekend :)
Have a Happy 4th!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I just love your newest flags and how pretty they go with your rag and lace flag. You are ready for the 4th!

Debbie said...

another great project, many thanks for sharing. they are perfect for your dining table!!

living from glory to glory said...

I am just catching up with all your sweet crafts! This is really a very cute idea and a great idea for a VBS class!
Hugs, Roxy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...