Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Becoming A Woman Of Excellence

With all that's going on in the world
sometimes we need a little beauty in our lives to encourage us.

Sometimes we need to take a moment to remember 
that we are called to be women of excellence
and how that calling can have an impact on what we do 
and on the people around us.




Sweet friends,
take a moment to be still and breath in the goodness of our Lord.
Pour yourself a cup of soothing tea 
and let us ponder some precious thoughts and quotes. . .




The Father and the Child

The Father spoke:
Come, child, let us journey together.
Where shall we go, Father?
To a distand land, another Kingdom.
So the journey will be long?
Yes, we must travel every day.
When will we reach our destination?
At the end of your days.
And who will accompany us?
Joy and Sorrow.
Must Sorrow travel with us?
Yes, she is necessary to keep you close to Me.
But I want only Joy.
It is only with Sorrow that you will know true Joy.
What must I bring?
A willing heart to follow Me.
What shall I do on the journey?
There is only one thing that you must do-
stay close to Me.
Let nothing distract you.
Always keep your eyes on Me.
And what will I see?
You will see My glory.
And what will I know?
You will know my heart.
- Cynthia Heald -




Our desire for excellence and for becoming women of excellence
who bring God glory delights Him,
but we must understand that His purpose is to conform us to the image of Christ.
This transformation is a lifelong journey.
{ Becoming a Woman of Excellence pg. 29 }


 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, 
are changed into the same image from glory to glory, 
even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 -





We must practice the art of long and loving meditation
upon the majesty of God.
This will take some effort,
for the concept of majesty has all but disappeared 
from the human race.
- A. W. Tozer -


"If we are going to pursue a life goal that reflects our desire to
"Be our utmost for His highest,"
then we need to study God's character.
We want to become women of excellence
because we are children of an excellent God.
First, we need to acknowledge God's lovingkindness-
reflected in His unfailing, unconditional love
as well as His all-sufficient grace.
Second, we must recognize God's sovereignty.
Third, we need to accept God's loving provision for us,
giving us everything we need to do His will."
{ Becoming a Woman of Excellence - pgs. 15-16 }




Lord,
Open my ears!
So much of what I read in your Word speaks
of the importance of hearing.
Wisdom demands it;
Righteousness requires it;
Understanding necessitates it.
I see so much of selective hearing.
Am I a selective listener?
Do I only hear what I want to?
Oh, Father!
You know I long to be wise,
understanding,
discerning. . .
Teach me to open my ears and really hear.
- Carole Mayhall -




We must "ask" for wisdom.
Then and only then can it be given.
"Wisdom," wrote Spurgeon, "is a beauty of life that can only be produced
by God's workmanship in us."
God is not satisfied to save us from this world alone.
He wants to change us,
to make us real in the righteousness that is in His Son.
The only path to real change is to ask for His help.
When we do, we're in for the full treatment.
God's goal for us is greater that we could ever imagine.
- David Roper -




Society beckons us to succeed-
to achive excellence in our appearance, our earning power, our family life.
God Himself also beckons us to be women of excellence.
But was exactly is He asking?
If you're hungy for God's perspective on success 
in a society that bombards you with conflicting demands,
feed on the truths of God's Word that you'll discover in these pages.
Not only will you learn to "approve the things that are excellent,"
but you will also experience the joy of becoming God's woman of excellence.


A little while ago Tyndale Publishers sent me a copy of the 30th anniversary addition of 
Becoming a Woman of Excellence by Cynthia Heald
and I must say that this book arrived at the perfect time.
We are living in a day and age where there is great heartache and pain
in trying to live by the worlds standards.
Becoming a Woman of Excellence is not only refreshing,
but it is also greatly encouraging.
Lovely ladies, we are called to be women of excellence,
and oh, what joy there is to be found when we pursue the goodness and grace of our Lord.
We have a beautiful and high calling to live by God's standards of excellence
and when we take that step in faith 
- that step to becoming a woman of excellence -
we are embracing the woman that God desires us to be.

Becoming a Woman of Excellence is for ladies of all ages.
We {no matter our age} must actively pursue the Lord Jesus
in order to become women of excellence.
May this be our hearts desire.
There is a lot of Scripture references 
as well as questions that will cause the reader to think deeply.
The book is also full of quotes from people such as:
A.W. Tozer
Elisabeth Elliot
C. S. Lewis
Charles Haddon Spurgeon
Dwight L. Moody
Amy Charmichael

I highly recommend Becoming a Woman of Excellence.

** I was provided a copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers
in exchange for my honest review. No other compensation was received. **




This post reflected the book Becoming a Woman of Excellence.
I hope this little taste of sweetness and encouragement 
made you hungry for more.


{ this sweet and charming tea cup was a Mother's Day gift
from my dear hubby and son - they have good taste, don't they? }


Love and hugs to you, friends!

50 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I will definitely look for this book. We could all use some encouragement right now and need to learn to lift our eyes to the beauty around us when we see so many terrible things in the news. And of course we can pray. Thanks for the review! Hugs, Diane

mamasmercantile said...

We could all do with a little uplifting world events are quite alarming at the moment. God bless.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautiful post! The teacup set is darling. Yes your men have great taste. :)

living from glory to glory said...

Wonderful post as we need sometimes a book that defines what a Woman of Excellence looks like as you stated, we are bombarded with how the world says we are to look like and talk like! It is Christ and His words and His character! I did a post on suggesting that same book. I have had mine for years, I am glad they now have an updated version! And yes, we need to remind other ladies too! Sometimes just reading a post like this helps call me up and if needed out LOL
Lovely Post
Always...

Manu said...

What is going on in world in this period is not easy to understand, Stephanie, thanks for this beautiful post.
LOVE

Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest said...

what a truly lovely post - and a book worth looking into for sure!

Your outdoor tea time is heavenly beautiful. God bless you, Stephanie!

Hugs! ♥

Debbie Harris said...

You have shred with us a most beautiful post today both in inspiration and encouragement, and your soft and gentle photo's just add to the loveliness, Stephanie.
That book has certainly hit my heartstrings and I will be looking to buy one that is for sure.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Enjoy your day in all it's glory~~

20 North Ora said...

What a struggle to become a woman of excellence in the Lord's eyes. We all need the encouragement to keep on keeping on. Working on it everyday.

Have a good week.

Judy

Karen said...

Wonderful encouragement. Thank you for sharing this.

Debbie said...

we are the example, for all the woman in our lives, for all the woman around us. i am so aware of this, especially for the nieces and great nieces in my life. i want them to see my strength, to know my moral fiber. i want them to look at me as someone they can look up to and gain strength from!!!

we are so important, we need to remember that always but thanks for these words of encouragement and this beautiful reminder!!!

Lisa said...

I remember being in a bible study years ago using this book. As a young wife and mother I enjoyed it so much and enjoyed the fellowship of the other women in the group. It's a great book and I'd encourage everyone to check it out!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a beautiful and encouraging post!

Thank you Stephanie and have a great week ~ FlowerLady

Celestina Marie said...

Stephanie this is beautiful post and such a well written review. I will be getting this book for sure. Your photos are dreamy and the gift for Mother's Day from your hubby and son is special. Yes, they have great taste!!
Thanks for sharing this book. Love and Hugs, xo

Tamago said...

The book sounds very inspiring and your post is beautiful! In the world with so much negativity, we do need an encouragement and become a positive impact ourselves. Your tea cup is very pretty. Your husband and son do have a very good taste :-)

Cheryl said...

Thank you for the review, sweet Stephanie! I think it is the cry of every Godly woman's heart to draw closer to Him. The closer we get to Him, the more of His excellence we can view, and the more like Him we become. He is so precious to me! Have a beautiful day, dear friend!

janice15 said...

This was fasnating to me. I want more so much encouragement for ourselves and to pass on. Where do I find this book Stephanie? Your post was wonderful thank you for sharing. With love Janice

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful post, my friend! The excerpts you shared from the book, as well as the lovely quotes and inspiring Scripture was a breath of fresh air. And as you mentioned, we are living in a day and age where we need not only encouragement and reminders of God's teachings, but we desperately need to be fed truth as we live in a world where lies are being shoved at us in every direction.

This book sounds like a real treasure and one that I think I would really enjoy. I think I'll put it on my reading list ♥

Thank you for sharing such a lovely and truth-filled post! Your photos were beautiful as well! Your new teacup is a beauty and I love the sun hat as well...so cute!

Many blessings and much joy to you,
Libby

Tamara said...

Good morning Sweet friend..
Your post was beautiful as well as encouraging and challenging. So many reminders of God's truths and assurance of His love. Your post will remind and enable so many of us to keep focused and our hearts tuned in to His voice and not on the distractions.

Your photos are beautiful as always. Have a blessed week, lovely lady and thank you for your heart and these refreshing words and lovely images to feast our eyes on.

Love and hugs to you..

Tamara <3

Vee said...

Cynthia Heald is a favorite of mine. I am sure that I would be encouraged by this book. Very timely word and comforting, too, in these days.

Vicky Hunt said...

This was just what I needed to read today Stephanie. I sometimes feel inadequate when I compare myself to others. I want to be more, do more, creazte more and so on and get overwhelmed trying to figure out how to do it all, and truthfully, none of it really even matters. All that matters is that I lead a life that is pleasing to God and that should be enough. I hope you are doing well. I adore the teacup and saucer from your sweet husband and son. Have a delightful week my sweet friend. Thank you for being such an uplifting spirit!

Hugs, Vicky

Jocelyne said...

A beautiful post, from the book to the tea wares. And very timely too. I have been feeling the call to more prayer, and to live life in a way that is pleasing to the Father. I will be looking for this book and take to heart the call to become a Woman of Excellence! Thank you for sharing this.

magnoliasntea said...

Love the teacup and saucer - blue is my favorite color for dishes.
Have a great week!

Simply Linda said...

I will readily admit I am not feeling very "excellence" of any sorts lately...thanks Stephanie, I will look for this book. Have a beautiful day friend.

Debby Ray said...

What an inspiration you are, dear Stephanie! There are many days when I feel nowhere near excellent, I'll admit. That sounds like a book that I need to read. I do wish to be excellent for my Lord. Thanks for providing a little snippet of this wonderful book! Hugs!

mari said...

I have read this book and it was quite inspiring! Thank you dear Stephanie for sharing it with us today... beautiful photos as always :D mari

hobbyloes said...

I think the book must be very inspiring.
You have written as always a beautiful post today, it is a joy to read.

Christine said...

Dear Stephanie how glad I am to read your post today, so full of wisdom & encouragement & excellent advice!
This book sounds just right for all of us to read along with Gods Word.
Thank you for being such a sweet blessing to us!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh sweet friend, thank you for sharing some of the passages from the book. Yes, I am wanting to read this book and learn more from it. It's so important to become women of excellence, as true and loving children and followers of Our Lord. Thank you for sharing this book with us, as I will definitely want to get my own copy.
I smiled when I read that you hubby and son picked out that beautiful teacup for you, and yes they have wonderful taste as they know what a gentle, kind, loving wife and mother you are!

Margie said...

Thank you for the beautiful post, Stephanie! I enjoyed the lovely book review and outdoor tea. Your excellent taste in china has clearly rubbed off on your hubby and son!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

I am so glad that the Lord has everything in His Control, even when we don't see it. Thank you for the card! :)
warmly,
deb

Laura Lane said...

I think you're well on your way sweet lady.

Lynn Bean said...


What a beautiful uplifting post my friend! How true it is that we need to be still and hear what our Lord is saying to us. Thank you for this most timely post! Have a blessed week, Lynn

Prunella Pepperpot said...

What a delightful post and your Mothers Day cup and saucer is gorgeous.
Your son and husband have a wonderful eye for picking out such a beauty.
Happy Wednesday Stephanie :)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

GOod morning Stephanie!

The insanity (and I'm not using that term lightly here) of the world and what keeps unfolding daily is surely a reminder to me that each of us has to take a stand for decency, love, honesty, transparency for our sakes, for the sake of others. The world has become a place to be sensational beyond logic and wisdom and all I want is to live a peaceful inner life so my outer life can be DIFFERENT. Only Christ and His power within us to display the character you share here is our strength. Oh this world is literally going mad.

Sheryl S. said...

Beautiful inspiring post, gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing words from this lovely book. Pretty tea cup too.

KimM said...

What an uplifting post, Stephanie. I want to read this book....take it inside myself for reflection. Thank you for the review. I love the teacup and saucer. They certainly know your heart.
xxx

Kim said...

Sounds like an inspirational book with a selection of wisdom from many lovely christian ladies. A lovely post, sweet Stephanie, embedded in gorgeous photos. LOVE that teacup; it is so pretty. Your son and husband do have excellent taste.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful and beautiful post Stephanie. It takes me away for a little while as I read the words. But come back to the real world I must. Sometimes it is hard to see God when Evil seems to be so close. I am full of gratitude for my life and family and my heart is full of pain for the families who have lost loved ones in the violence of today's world.
You have a beautiful heart Stephanie and your blog is like an oasis in the middle of a huge desert.
Sandy xx

Peabea Scribbles said...

It is good to just take a moment to breathe and reflect on the good things that are still of our world. Thanks for sharing the positive. Very nice. :)

Gina said...

Stephanie, I think I read that book ages ago but I very much would like to read it again. Thank you for your encouraging words and review!

Hope said...

Dear Stephanie,

What a lovely post.

I love that beautiful teacup and saucer (you could not have a better gift) and all the beautiful photos you took :)

♥Hope

Joyful said...

Lovely post today Stephanie, in photos and in words. I don't think I've read that poem by Cynthia Heald before. It is beautiful. Hugs. xx

JES said...

Very encouraging and beautiful Stephanie. Thank you for this refreshing reminder!

Sara - My Woodland Garden said...

Hello dear Stephanie, this post is so beautiful that I have tears in my eyes. Thank you!

SpicingUpIdaho said...

What a delight to visit your precious space today, and be comforted, encouraged and delighted with this post! Oh to keep our eyes on Him, indeed that is the true source of how we become Women of Excellence, and I loved the quotes and thoughts you shared, and the delightful pictures you presented... Oh I could just sink down on the blanket and meditate on the Lord and His goodness, along with that lovely looking cup of tea! Thank you Stephanie for this post that touched my heart today! In my estimation, you ARE a woman of excellence :)

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Beautiful inspiration and encouragement for all. This world is going through some bad times. Thank you for sharing some precious words. xo

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Lovely post! And I think I have an older addition of Becoming a Woman of Excellence. I have to go dig it out. So much inspiration here!

Kelly @ Homespuns 'n Hayfields said...

Hi Stephanie, that sounds like an amazing book. The tea cup you received for Mother's Day is beautiful.

Jazzmin said...

Stephanie,
I hope you are having a most blessed Lord's day, sweet friend! How the thoughts and quotes you shared- as well as your breathtaking, most delightful, lovely photos!- blessed my soul. I have been reading this post and pondering the truths and messages and reminders here and am just now getting a chance to comment- every photo had me feeling like I was stepping into it, having tea with you my dearest friend as we discussed this most wonderful book. And the pieces you brought out are so powerful to think of as we find our identity in Christ as ladies. I love the comparison between the societal view of what makes an excellent woman and what God's view of what makes an excellent woman. May we purpose to follow our Lord's idea of a woman of excellence. Thank you for sharing this and inspiring my heart and thoughts.
And oh, what wonderful taste your husband and son do have indeed! Your new tea cup is perfection♥

Thank you for blessing me today and through your friendship always.

Many hugs to you!
Jazzmin

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, dearest Stephanie, once again thank you for a most beautiful and touching post today that is always accompanied by beautiful photos that inspire and bring joy! I saw the video by Cynthia Heald on her website and was delighted to see that what Boaz said of Ruth was the Scripture that inspired Cynthia to write this book. What a blessing it's been for more than thirty years now, and I pray that we all might aspire to be women of excellence and draw nearer and nearer to Him until we are called home! Blessings and hugs, precious friend! You are a joy to me! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...