Saturday, July 02, 2016

The Quieting - Book Review

It was a well-laid plan -
but it wasn't her plan. . .

It's all her grandmother's fault.
For the last few months, 
Abigail Stoltzfus has helped her father with his genealogical research,
hoping that breaking through a client's brick wall would also break his meloncholy.
But now her intrusive grandmother has set her sights on marrying off Abigail
and insists she come to Stoney Ridge,
where there is a plethora of eligible backelors.

Except that Mammi is mistaken.
There are no eligible bachelors in Stoney Ridge,
barring one, and he's all wrong.
Dane Glick has the wrong last name and the wrong relatives -
including the bishop who is at odds over a church matter
with Abigails uncle, minister David Stoltzfus.

As the conflict grows, setting family against family,
it's becoming clear that the path to a solution may lead to a Quieting -
a removal of a church leader.
But for which one?
And when Abigail stumbles onto a curious connection during her genealogical research,
it could help David solve one problem -
but will it create another?




My Thoughts
First of all, The Quieting is the second book
in the Bishop's Family series.
I would highly recommend reading the first book The Imposter
before diving into this one simply because you need to be up-to-speed 
with all of the characters.
Several of the characters from the first book have unfinished business
which the author touches on in the second book
and will continue to do so in this series.
You can read my review for The Imposter by clicking here.

Since I am on the subject of the characters
I might as well start my review there.
It was a delight to reconnect with several of the Stoltzfus family member
as well as members of the Stoney Ridge community.
It was also fun to meet new characters and I must say that Dane and Abigail
qucikly became favorites of mine. . .especially Dane.
I think from the moment I "met" Dane in the pages of this book
I was won over by his kind heart and sweet personality.
One of my favorite moments that happened in the book was on page 65,

"What makes you think she's the one for you?"

"I just knew it, the minute I saw her.
No.
Before that.
The minute I heard her voice."

"Dane, are you feeling all right?"

"The sound of a voice tells you a lot.
That's how I get horses to trust me.
My sheep too.
They know the sound of my voice.
They like my voice.
Well, I like your cousin's voice.
It's low and soft.
The second I heard it, 
I knew that was the voice I'de been waiting for all my life."
{ The Quieting - pg. 65-66 }

Abigail was also a wonderful character and one that I thoroughly enjoyed.
The only way I can describe her is unique
and by unique I mean she is not your usual female character. . .
you know the kind that is flawess, beautiful, and perfect {{smiles}}
Abigail's personality was totally unexpected and I fell in love with her.

One issue. . .or two that I have is simply that there are a lot of characters to keep up with.
I thought that in the first book as well.
Having so many people to keep up with
can make for tiresome reading because the reader has to keep up with everyone
and like I said, there are several characters that have their own personal stories going on at once.
I thought the story dragged at first and it wasn't until around page 100 that I got into the book.

Suzanne Woods Fisher is a talented author and I have always enjoyed her work.
If you enjoy amish fiction and clean reading material
than you will enjoy the Bishop's family series.

I am giving this book 4 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the bestselling author of the Lancaster County Series,
the Stoney Ridge Seasons series, and The Inn at Eagle Hill series,
as well as nonfiction books about the Amish,including Amish Peace.
She is also the coauthor of an Amish children's series,
The Adventures of Lily Lapp.
Suzanne is a Carol Award winner for The Search, 
a Carol Award finalist for The Choice, and a Christy Award finalist for The Waiting.
She is also a columnist for Christian Post and Cooking & Such magazines.
She lives in California.

6 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

Oh my goodness, I miss reading. I just don't have time now that I'm keeping the grandbaby. Whew this BonBon is tired and ready for some refreshing reading.

Christine said...

I appreciate when a trusted blogger does s book review. This series of books are going in my Yo Read list. THANKS!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest Stephanie! I am very late to your book reading, but summer has a way of calling one outside!

Enjoy your Sunday my dear! Anita

Tamago said...

Sounds like a great book. But it can be tiresome indeed when there are so many characters! I have read books that had a list of characters with short description at the beginning of the book, which helped me a lot. I did have to constantly go back to that page and renew my memory!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Stephanie,
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit!! I hope you are having a wonderful Holiday weekend, spending it with those that you love!!
Hugs,
Deb

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Stephanie, I've never heard of the "Amish fiction" genre. I would definitely follow your recommendation and read the first book. I hate coming in on the middle of a series. A friend recently told me about Rhys Bowen's Royal Spyness Mysteries, and I wasn't able to get the first in the series until weeks after I'd gotten the second. But I waited, none too patiently!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...