Saturday, August 20, 2016

A Heart Most Certain - Book Review

While Lydia King's reasons for joining the Teaville Moral Society 
might be suspect to some members, her heart is in the right place. 
Because of her father's debts and her mother's persistent illness, 
her best chance at a secure future and curing her mother 
is to impress the politician courting her. 
Her first task--to ask the town's wealthiest man to donate--
seems simple enough . . . until he refuses.

Despite appearances, Nicholas Lowe wants to help others, 
but prefers to keep his charity private. 
When Lydia proves persistent, they agree to a bargain, 
but Nicholas still intends to do things his own way. 
Neither predicts what they'll learn about true charity 
or foresee the complications their actions will bring to the town, 
forcing Lydia to decide where her beliefs and heart truly align.




My Thoughts
A Heart Most Certain has found a very special place in my heart.
This book is one of the best that I have read this year
and after just turning the last page
I am ready to reopen it and lose myself in the lives of Lydia and Nicholas.
Melissa Jagears is a fairly new author to me,
but from the few books that I have read I can already say she is amazingly talented
and puts a lot of hard work, detail, and love into her writing.

Lydia is a feisty young woman who isn't afraid to say what is on her heart.
She has passion, integrity, and a desire to help those less fortunate.
When she approaches Nicholas Lowe 
{the man the community has labeled as the richest but most selfish man}
for a donation and he says no she is determined to change his mind.
She will do whatever it takes
and when Nicholas agrees to help under certain terms and conditions she gladly accepts.
Very soon Lydia realizes she may have signed up for more than she bargained for.
When these two begin to work together 
Nicholas shows her the truly desperate needs of the people in her own town.
Lydia's convictions are pushed to the limits
and her faith is tried in the fire. . .
will she come forth as gold?
And along the way Nicholas will learn some things that will change his view 
on what he has built his life on. . .
things that will bring him to his knees as he realizes he can't do everything HIS way,
but rather he needs to do it God's way.

This book shows you that often times we don't know much about others.
It's so easy to look at someone and in 5 minutes think we know everything about them
simply by how they act, dress, talk, etc.
Many, many times we are wrong.
A Most Certain Heart
has so many wonderful layers and the farther you get in the book
the more you will learn through the lives of Nicholas, Lydia, and other characters.
While it's a Christian Historical Romance fiction book 
it will cause the readers to look within themselves
and question their motives for doing things.
It will cause you to stop and truly see the people around you. . .
the woman that is hurting,
the man that is buried under guilt,
the child that is sick,
the stranger on the street with nothing to his name.
It will make you wonder if you can help them
and it will cause you to care. . .
to care for the hurting, the sick, the less fortunate, the needy, the unloved.
It will cause you to see people through God's eyes.

I highly recommend A Heart Most Certain
and if I could give it 10 stars I would.
There is light humor mixed in with tender romance
and a touch of suspense.
The Christian aspect of this book is top notch
and incredibly refreshing.
Like I said earlier in the review,
this book is one of the best that I have read this year
and I have an idea it will remain one of the best for quite a while.
Well done, Melissa Jagears!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts and opinions are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Melissa Jagears is a Carol Award-winning author,
a homeschooling mother to three, and an extreme night owl.
She lives with her family in Kansas.
Find her online at www.melissajagears.com.

9 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW! Just the short bio on the author is a novel in itself! Homeschools three, then writes as such? Really, someone must write a novel about the young mothers of our day who homeschool and are also successful at writing! Good morning, my friend!

Melanie said...

Thank you for your review. This does sound like a very good book.

Christine said...

A great review and already I am longing to read this novel! Have a wonderful weekend, Stephanie!

Sandi said...

I like these sweet, simple stories. Was life ever like that? I think it was.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

This sounds really good! I love a book that you continue to think about even after the last page. I am adding this on my list of books to read.

Tamago said...

I agree that we think we know a person after 5 minutes but it's very wrong. It's only the first impression.
Sounds like it was a really good read :-) Have a lovely weekend, Stephanie!

Bethany Carson said...

Your review is very interesting! Sounds like a fascinating tale.

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

Hello Stephanie. Looks like you enjoyed the book every bit as much as I did! I don't see you as part of the author's FB group page for this book, that I am on, along with other influencers. If you wish to join, I can let her know. There are some fun contests going on, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1697154490536500/
Hugs and blessings,
Heather

Sherry said...

Thanks for the review. I just ordered a copy of the book from our library. It sounds like the perfect book for me right now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...