Sunday, August 28, 2016

Wonderful Grace Of Jesus

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was grace that taughtmy heart to fear,
and grace, my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
the hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come.
T'was grace that brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead us home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be,
as long as life endures.

When we've been here ten thousand years,
bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
than when we've first begun.
-  John Newton -




This past Friday I attended the funeral service for my great uncle Spike.
He served in the Marines when he was younger
so his service was held at the Fort Logan cemetery.
As I looked at the many, many headstones 
of the men and women that served our country
I was overwhelmed with an incredible sense of gratitude 
for their willingness to serve and fight for the USA.
What love they had for our country and the people living here. . .

As I looked at the names and words engraved upon the marble slabs
I couldn't help but wonder who they were,
what they were like,
how they lived their lives. . .

I also wondered how many had known the amazing grace of Jesus Christ.




After the service my husband and I took a different route home
and as we drove through the mountains I kept thinking back to the cemetery
and the people buried there.
I couldn't stop wondering how many were spending eternity in heaven
with their precious Heavenly Father. . .




Grace! 'tis a charming sound, 
harmonious to the ear;
heaven with the echo shall resound, 
and all the earth shall hear.

'Twas grace that wrote my name 
in life's eternal book;
'twas grace that gave me to the Lamb,
who all my sorrows took.

Saved by grace alone!
This is all my plea:
Jesus died for all mankind,
and Jesus died for me.
- Philip Doddridge and Augustus M. Toplady -


 For by grace are ye saved through faith; 
and that not of yourselves: 
it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- Ephesians 2:8, 9 -




As we continued on our journey home
I kept thinking upon the grace that Jesus Christ so freely gave to us.
Grace that is truly greater than all my sin.


 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ 
we shall be saved, even as they.
- Acts 15:11 -


 Being justified freely by his grace 
through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.
- Romans 3: 24 -


Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, 
that we may obtain mercy, 
and find grace to help in time of need.
- Hebrews 4:16 -




Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!
Now ransomed from sin and a new work begun,
Sing praise to the Father and praise to the Son,
Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!

Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!
The angels rejoicing because it is done;
A child of the Father, joint heir with the Son,
Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!

Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!
The Father He spake, and His will it was done;
Great price of my pardon, His own precious Son;
Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!

Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!
All hail to the Father, all hail to the Son,
All hail to the Spirit, the great Three in One!
Saved by the blood of the Crucified One!

Chorus
Glory, I’m saved! Glory, I’m saved!
My sins are all pardoned, my guilt is all gone!
Glory, I’m saved! Glory, I’m saved!
I am saved by the blood of the Crucified One!
- S. J. Henderson -




Saving faith is much more than a commitment 
to a creed, church, or a doctrinal system.
It must be a commitment to a person - Jesus Christ.
- Kenneth W. Osbeck -


My faith has found a resting place-
not in device nor creed;
I trust the Everliving One-
His wounds for me shall plead.

Enough for me that Jesus saves-
this ends my fear and doubt;
a sinful soul I come to Him-
He'll never cast me out.

I need no other argument,
I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
and that He died for me.
- Lidie H. Edmunds -




These men and women have passed on,
but we are still alive and well, my friends.

Have you placed your faith and trust in the one true living Savior?

Contemplate the forgiveness and love of Christ
as He stretches out His hand to you. . .


Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Greater than all my sin;
How shall my tongue describe it,
Where shall its praise begin?
Taking away my burden,
Setting my spirit free;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching to all the lost,
By it I have been pardoned,
Saved to the uttermost,
Chains have been torn asunder,
Giving me liberty;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching the most defiled,
By its transforming power,
Making him God’s dear child,
Purchasing peace and heaven,
For all eternity;
And the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus,
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;
Wonderful grace, all sufficient for me, for even me.
Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
Greater far than all my sin and shame,
O magnify the precious Name of Jesus.
Praise His Name!
- Haldor Lillenas -


 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. 
But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
That as sin hath reigned unto death, 
even so might grace reign through righteousness 
unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
- Romans 5:20, 21 -



Much love to you on this Lord's Day!

37 comments:

Sylvia said...

Stephanie, I am so sorry for your lost. The hymns are so reassuring and I love to hear them, they aren't sung in church much anymore. Your photo's are lovely.
Hope you have a blessed Sunday!

Melanie said...

Beautiful post, Stephanie. I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle Spike. Seeing headstones of those who have served their country is so moving. I am so thankful for God's amazing grace too. Have a blessed day.

Sandy said...

You certainly have a very deep faith Stephanie. I have found in my 72 years that some people are overt in the religious beliefs and some people are covert. I am a quiet Christian that knows that something dwells inside my very being that cannot be explained. I call it the Ground Of My Being or God. I enjoy reading your posts.
I also enjoy your book reviews although I must admit I have so many books in my reading Que that I probably do not have time to read them all !
I received my package the other day in the mail - beautiful work Stephanie and thank you so much for the book marks.
Sandy xx

Kelly-Anne said...

Ah...how can one not love the hymn, Amazing Grace? I have been singing it this week in absolute awe that I, a sinner, am utterly and wonderfully SAVED by grace! Oh, what a mighty King we serve!
Your mom wrote about your Uncle Spike not too long ago and I was so touched by her words and memories...what a great man he must have been, now praising his Saviour in Paradise!
Dear friend, may the LORD bless you with a wonderful new week...thank you for faithfully sharing each Sunday!
Kelly-Anne

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Amazing Grace...oh, what a beautiful hymn and words to live by, and it's one of my favorites! I read about your Uncle Spike and I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing on thius lovely Sunday, your touching words about Faith and Grace, and God's love for us. Love and Blessings to you, sweet friend!

Simply Linda said...

What a beautiful post, Stephanie...I am so sorry for your loss...keeping you in prayer. smiles

Mary E. Stephens said...

This is a beautiful post, Stephanie. Thank you for these lovely thoughts. I am again amazed at how our Lord puts the same thoughts and burdens into two or more of His blogging children at the same time. This post has a parallel with my own today, and also with another one I read this morning. Praise the Lord for His wonderful grace, both to save and to live now and eternally!

May the Lord comfort you and yours on the passing of your great-uncle. ((hugs))

Karen said...

Thank you for this wonderful post, a tribute to your dear uncle, and to God's grace. I treasure these hymns from my youth, and many times, God brings one of these songs to mind.

Debbie Harris said...

Absolutely Beautiful post, Stephanie!
Very well written, and leaves one to ponder on greatly.
God's amazing grace...Praise His Holy Name.

Love you~

Debbie Harris said...

Absolutely Beautiful post, Stephanie!
Very well written, and leaves one to ponder on greatly.
God's amazing grace...Praise His Holy Name.

Love you~

Vee said...

Beautiful! Those that served for however many years paid a price that usually continues far beyond that time...some for their entire lives...it puts sacrificial love into perspective very quickly and then to think that that is not enough if they did not know The Lord.

I am leaving here singing the chorus...how well I remember the rich harmonies and the men's low bass as they sang them... It's been a long time since I heard it sung...must be a Gaither vid of it somewhere!

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Sorry for you loss of a dear Uncle.
What a beautifully peaceful place for your Uncle Spike's final resting place.
Amazing Grace was my Granmother's favourite hymn.
Hugs to you dear Stephanie x

Lowcarb team member said...

I've always liked those words by John Newton.

I'm sorry for the loss of your Dear Uncle, but your post was so perfect with words and photo's that I think he would have liked it to.

All the best Jan

Kim said...

So sorry for your loss, Stephanie. I love strolling through cemeteries, reading the headstones wondering about each person's life. Isn't it wonderful to have blessed assurance in Jesus that when our time comes to leave this earth we will be in Heaven with Him just because of His amazing grace. Thank you for this lovely post, Stephanie. Have a blessed Sunday. Xx

magnoliasntea said...

Stephanie, I'm so sorry for the loss of you uncle. Military funerals are such an honor, and the cemetery is so awesome with the stones placed in precision lines. When we were in Europe, many years ago, we visited an American cemetery in Belgium where Gen. Geo. S. Patton and hundreds of other American soldiers are resting. I find it difficult to express the feeling that washes over me in a place like that. They are truly fallen heroes for having served their country.

Love Amazing Grace! It just doesn't get any better than that beautiful hymn.
Hope you're having a wonderful Lord's Day!
Toni

Margie said...

My condolences for the loss of your great Uncle Spike.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

GRACE, is a wonderful gift from the Lord! May your sweet heart be filled with good memories of your uncle. Your post are a blessing :)
warmly,
deb

Lea said...

I still stand in awe of His amazing grace that saved me some 57 years ago. What a beautiful post!

Lynn Bean said...

Dearest Stephanie, truer words have never been spoken. Oh the Dear ones that need our Jesus. How we need to pray for revival in our nation and that wonderful grace of Jesus to shine on us once again. May the Lord continue to comfort you in your loss.

Mari said...

Amazing Grace! That old song never gets old... I've sung it so many times, and yet it still brings a tear to my eye. It is amazing indeed!
I appreciate your words and collection of hymns today.

Little Birdie Blessings said...

Hi Stephanie, I'm sorry to read about your uncle. An "Amazing" song that pack some powerful words. I love the old hymns, and often say them instead of sing them, it helps me focus on the words in a different way. As a pianist, that's sometimes hard to do, as you know. ~ Love Abby

Tamago said...

Stephanie, I'm so sorry for the loss of your uncle Spike. It looks beautiful place for him to rest. Hugs to you. xo Tamago

Delvalina Wright said...

Beautiful sorry of your day! Remind me that our souls belong to our Savior here as in heaven.
I love the view as you drove back with your husband.
Love you my friend :)

Summer said...

Hi Steph! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration once more ♥

summerdaisy.cottage.blogspot.com

Camille said...

I am so thankful with you, that your Uncle Spike is with the Lord!! It truly makes all the difference when we bury a loved one who belongs to our Great God! I am often reflective when we visit cemeteries as well...it is quite a sobering thing to ponder where all those people currently are. They still live...just not here. What a precious thing it is to belong to our Saviour....how good and gracious He is!! Truly, it is *Amazing Grace* that has been extended to each of us who are His children. Big Hugs, Camille

Conniecrafter said...

His saving Grace, we are so blessed that even though we are sinners he gives a grace and always another chance to do what is right and live in His way. So sorry for your loss, I know how amazing it is to be in those cemeteries and just be overwhelmed by all the many people who have given there lives for our country and then to be reminded of the one who gave up his life so we could live with him forever, just so overwhelming that's for sure.
Wishing you a peaceful and lovely week ahead!

Mindy Whipple said...

So sorry for your loss Stephanie - each time a loved one passes it makes me stop and think as well. So thankful for that Amazing Grace.

Lisa said...

What a lovely post Stephanie and a fitting tribute to your uncle.

God's Grace Overflows said...

So sorry for your loss, Stephanie. But what a wonderful tribute to your uncle. Amazing Grace is my very favorite hymn.
God's Grace is just truly inspiring!
May you be blessed and comforted in the arms of our heavenly Father. :)
Hugs, Amy

God's Grace Overflows said...

So sorry for your loss, Stephanie. But what a wonderful tribute to your uncle. Amazing Grace is my very favorite hymn.
God's Grace is just truly inspiring!
May you be blessed and comforted in the arms of our heavenly Father. :)
Hugs, Amy

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Dear, dear friend,

I am late...school started for REAL yesterday, and now I have to get myself back on track with my social media routine and school! GRACE is the message I want to keep close to my heart this school year, as I need it for this job, and I need to GIVE it in full measure. Thank you for reminding me! MUCH LOVE!

Linda Walker said...

Stephanie,
Amazing Grace is my personal favorite hymn. I hum it alot and my daughter's sang it at my Grandmother's funeral years ago. My youngest was only 3 at the time and she couldn't pronounce it quite correctly....but she sang her heart out...."Amazing, gwace." It makes me smile thinking about that.....lovely post. Yes, it is humbling to be present among our nation's buried heros. Such courage and love of country. God bless America!
Xo
Linda

Linda Walker said...

Stephanie,
Amazing Grace is my personal favorite hymn. I hum it alot and my daughter's sang it at my Grandmother's funeral years ago. My youngest was only 3 at the time and she couldn't pronounce it quite correctly....but she sang her heart out...."Amazing, gwace." It makes me smile thinking about that.....lovely post. Yes, it is humbling to be present among our nation's buried heros. Such courage and love of country. God bless America!
Xo
Linda

Daniela said...

Dearest Stephanie,
I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm sure that the Lord is embracing your Great Uncle now !

As for AMAZING GRACE, I always feel shivering just thinking about its wonderful words and melody, I love it most amongst all the Hymns I know, I sang it as a little child in Italian, of course with other words, but I was just 3 years old and it was one of the very first music and song I learned, it's very special to me, God Bless !

With so much gratitude I'm sending much love, always thinking of you so very fondly

xx Dany

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praying.

God bless.

hobbyloes said...

Sorry for the loss of your dear uncle Spike.
Amazing Grace is one of the beautiful songs of the world, both the words as the melody.

Red Rose Alley said...

Dear Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear about your great Uncle Spike. Is that a nickname of his? What a lovely cemetery. My father-in-law was also buried in a cemetery for those serving our country. Your Uncle Spike will be in your heart always. I'm so glad to know someone who has so much faith and grace as you do, my dear.

love, ~Sheri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...