Sunday, September 18, 2016

How Great Thou Art

 I will extol thee, my God, O king; 
and I will bless thy name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless thee;
 and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord, 
and greatly to be praised; 
and his greatness is unsearchable.
- Psalm 145: 1-3 -




Here is a beautiful version of How Great Thou Art.
Enjoy the music while you ponder the precious words of this hymn.




O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.


When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze.




And when I think that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin.


When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, "My God, how great thou art!"




Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!
 - Carl G. Boberg




The original text was written by a Swedish pastor,
Carl Boberg, in 1886.
While visiting a beautiful country estate, 
Boberg was caught in a sudden thunder storm.
The awesome and violent lightning and thunder quickly ended,
leaving clear brilliant sunshine
and the calm, sweet singing of the birds in the trees.
Falling on his knees in awe and adoration of Almighty God,
the pastor wrote nine stanzas of praise.
Swedish congregations began to sing his lines
to one of their old folk tunes.
The text was later translated into German and Russian
and ultimately into English by Stuart K. Hine and his wife.

How Great Thou Art reminds us of God's unlimited power
and love in creation and redemption.
- Kenneth W. Osbeck - Amazing Grace -




O Lord God, thou hast begun to shew thy servant thy greatness, 
and thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, 
that can do according to thy works, and according to thy might?
- Deuteronomy 3:24 -


Great is the Lord, 
and greatly to be praised in the city of our God,
in the mountain of his holiness.
- Psalm 48:1 -


Great is our Lord, and of great power: 
his understanding is infinite.
- Psalm 147:5 -




Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, 
that bringeth out their host by number: 
he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, 
for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.
Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest,
 O Israel, My way is hid from the Lord, 
and my judgment is passed over from my God?
Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, 
that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, 
fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.
- Isaiah 40:26-28 -


O Lord, how great are thy works! 
and thy thoughts are very deep.
- Psalm 92:5 -


He hath made the earth by his power, 
he hath established the world by his wisdom, 
and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion.
- Jeremiah 10:12 -




Have a blessed Lord's Day,
precious friends!


35 comments:

Doniene said...

Thank you my new dear friend! What a lovely reminder of our awesome God! This was one of my mother's favorite songs and it always brings tears to my eyes, but joy in my heart! She has been gone now for 17 years and at times I'm sad that she went early at the young age of 61. But most of the time I'm thankful for the times we did have.

Have a blessed day!

mamasmercantile said...

The violin was stunning, such a beautiful and uplifting post.

KimM said...

Beautiful, beautiful.....meaningful and moving. Thank you, Stephanie.
xxx

September Violets said...

That hymn brings tears to my eyes, beautifully done ;)

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

Beautiful Stephanie. Have a wonderful Sunday and a lovely week ahead.

Andrea

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest Stephanie! Or rather, good afternoon! Praise God every day of life!

Nancy's Notes said...

What a blessing to hear this beautiful hymn. It brings me to tears, it brings me joy, it brings me to the thoughts of such a wonderful God.
Thank you for the moving rendition of this incredible hymn.
Have a great Sunday!
Nancy

magnoliasntea said...

What a beautiful rendition of this beautiful hymn! I really enjoyed to video, especially as it had a Celtic air to it. And you saved me from looking up the history of it, too. Thank you for sharing, Stephanie!
Trusting this Lord's Day is a blessing to you as well.

Summer said...

His greatness is really unsearchable♥ Happy Sunday, Steph ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

What a beautiful arrangement of that hymn! I always think of George Beverly Shea when I hear this song. What a voice. I got to see him once at a Billy Graham crusade many, many years ago. Have a blessed Sunday.

Karen said...

Can you imagine all of God's children singing "How Great Thou Art" some glad day! Thank you for another inspiring and lovely post and for the story behind the song. I had not heard that.

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

So beautiful. I love this hymn. I just watched God's Not Dead 2 last night. There is a scene in the movie when a group of teenagers come together and sing it. So beautiful. Have a blessed week friend.

Anne said...

Beautiful post, Stephanie, Thank you.

Tamago said...

I enjoyed the video - such a beautiful performance!

Pam Richardson said...

Sweet Stephanie, what a beautiful and uplifting Sunday post...always enjoy visiting with you! Scripture and hymn lyrics are so encouraging...wishing you a wonder-filled week! Pam @ Everyday Living

Little Birdie Blessings said...

One of my favorite hymns Stephanie, lovely photos as always, and that video - oh my! What a talent God has given her, so beautiful. And . . she's her own accompaniment. Keep up the good work here on your blog, you're blessing many. ~ Love Abby

mari said...

Beautiful !! One of my most favorite hymns. And I love to sing it in my own language. :D

Miss Val's Creations said...

Beautifully done Stephanie. I adore the violin. The musical clip is wonderful!

hobbyloes said...

Thank you Stephanie, what a beautiful video, I enjoyed very much.

Margie said...

I love the violin so I really enjoyed this beautiful string version. Thanks for sharing!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Oh my word! What can I say Stephanie; this post was sooo beautifully
executed! So inspiring and such a blessing. (I love hymns: )
Thank you for sharing - and taking time to add so much beauty to the
inspiration you share. hugs, Karen O

Debby Ray said...

An absolute favorite hymn. My sister and I stood on the balcony overlooking the beautiful sea yesterday morning before we left for home and sang this as we videoed the vision before us! It is good to be home but oh, how I miss that beautiful sight already. A most lovely post, Stephanie!

Sarah said...

Such a beautiful post Stephanie! "Then Sings My Soul" by Robert Morgan is one of my favorite books! I have volumes one and two. They are treasures!

Mimi said...

Dearest Stephanie, a sweet and beautiful post my lovely. Thankyou. Mimi xxx

Mrs R said...

Stephanie, that song has been on my heart. So beautiful and a lovely way to start the week singing!

Christine said...

I have always enjoyed the violin.
Music of all kinds, fills the soul, especially when sung for God.

janice15 said...

Deraest Stephanie, such a lovely post. The music is just beautiful. I love the violin beautiful.. I enjoyed this post very much thank you for sharing how awesome holy one is.. Blessings dear friend Have a wonderful new week, with love Janice

Sara - My Woodland Garden said...

What a lovely post, dear Stephanie. The hymn is indeed beautiful. I seldom watch videos included in blog posts, but this one was definitely worth watching. Your wonderful photos complete this extraordinary post.
Have a blessed week! Hugs!

Lynn Bean said...

My dearest Stephanie, this truly is a beautiful post. I loved listening to the violin and singing the words to my most favorite song. Thank you so much for being so faithful to our Lord and Saviour! Have a most beautiful day and praying the Lord will bless you for your faithfulness to Him.

Prunella Pepperpot said...

A truly beautiful post dear Stephanie. Have a wonderful week with hugs from us :)

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Stephanie, Such a beautiful post. This hymn has always been a favorite. My uncle love it and always had me play it for him on the piano. The video is special and I love the violin with the piano. This ministers to my heart and brings tears to my eyes.
Thank you for sharing and always giving a piece of your heart in your posts.
Blessings and love to you my friend. xoi

Lowcarb team member said...

Just a beautiful post Stephanie,
thank you

All the best Jan

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful post, this is one of the most moving songs to me, and done with the violin makes it that much more. I am always moved so much when hearing and singing this song. My favorite lines
O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds thy hands have made,
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
This is how I feel whenever I look around me and when we are out in our travels.
Hope your week is going well so far and wish you all the best for the rest of the week.

Red Rose Alley said...

Hello dear friend,
'How Great Thou Art' is a popular song at our church. It's such a special one. Your pictures are lovely with the white roses and pearls and white tea cup, and I see a few daisies thrown in there also. ;) Such a beautiful post, Stephanie.

love, ~Sheri

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, precious Stephanie. This is one of my favorite hymns, and I absolutely love it. I remember so well how beautifully my beloved dad would sing this in his rich baritone voice. He loved singing of how great his God was to him and loved the Lord...and now is with Him. What beautiful and wonderful words...and such a great reminder that God is over all and is great and powerful. He is such a precious and loving Father. I loved the beautiful violin rendition of this hymn, and I always love the beautiful photos, wonderful quotes, and God's precious words. Thank you, my sweet and loving friend. I love that you love the Lord. Praise God! Thank you for all the work to put these wonderful posts that so honor our Lord. Lovingly...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...