Sunday, September 04, 2016

O For A Thousand Tongues




The word worship is a contraction of an old expression 
in the English language, woerth-scipe, denoting the giving of reverent praise
to an object of superlative worth.
True worship, then, is an act by a redeemed man
the creature, toward God, His Creator, whereby his will, intellect, and emotions gratefully respond
to the revelation of God's person 
expressed in the redemptive work of Jesus Christ,
as the Holy Spirit illuminates the written Word to his heart.
- Kenneth W. Osbeck -




O for a thousand tongues to sing
My great Redeemer’s praise,
The glories of my God and King,
The triumphs of His grace!

My gracious Master and my God,
Assist me to proclaim,
To spread through all the earth abroad
The honors of Thy name.

Jesus! the name that charms our fears,
That bids our sorrows cease;
’Tis music in the sinner’s ears,
’Tis life, and health, and peace.

He breaks the power of canceled sin,
He sets the prisoner free;
His blood can make the foulest clean,
His blood availed for me.

Hear Him, ye deaf; His praise, ye dumb,
Your loosened tongues employ;
Ye blind, behold your Savior come,
And leap, ye lame, for joy.

In Christ your Head, you then shall know,
Shall feel your sins forgiven;
Anticipate your heaven below,
And own that love is heaven.




Glory to God, and praise and love
Be ever, ever given,
By saints below and saints above,
The church in earth and heaven.

On this glad day the glorious Sun
Of Righteousness arose;
On my benighted soul He shone
And filled it with repose.

Then with my heart I first believed,
Believed with faith divine,
Power with the Holy Ghost received
To call the Savior mine.

I felt my Lord’s atoning blood
Close to my soul applied;
Me, me He loved, the Son of God,
For me, for me He died!

Look unto Him, ye nations, own
Your God, ye fallen race;
Look, and be saved through faith alone,
Be justified by grace.

See all your sins on Jesus laid:
The Lamb of God was slain,
His soul was once an offering made
For every soul of man.
- Charles Wesley -




If you noticed I shared several extra verses of this hymn.
I am used to singing this hymn in church with only six verses
and I was delighted to find there are many, many more.
In fact, I did not even share them all.

O for a thousand tongues. . .
This hymn was inspired by a Moravian leader named Peter Bohler,
who expressed his spiritual joy in this way:
"Oh, Brother Wesley,
the Lord has done so much for my life.
Had I a thousand tongues,
I would praise Christ Jesus with every one!"




O sing unto the Lord a new song: 
sing unto the Lord, all the earth.
Sing unto the Lord, bless his name; 
shew forth his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the heathen, 
his wonders among all people.
For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: 
he is to be feared above all gods.
- Psalm 96: 1- 4 -


Bless the Lord, O my soul: 
and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, 
and forget not all his benefits:
Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; 
who healeth all thy diseases;
Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; 
who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies.
- Psalm 103: 1 - 4 -


Every day will I bless thee; 
and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; 
and his greatness is unsearchable.
- Psalm 145:2 - 3 -


Worship. . .
It is a quickening of the conscience
by the holiness of God;
a feeding of the mind with the truth of God;
an opening of the heart to the love of God;
and a devoting of the will to the purpose of God.
- Unknown -




Have a blessed Lord's Day,
dearest friends!

29 comments:

Simply Linda said...

Beautiful Stephanie....just what I needed to hear. Have a lovely day friend.

Rozen en vlinders said...

Very nice ...

Sara - My Woodland Garden said...

Thank you for this very beautiful and interesting post, sweet Stephanie! :) It is a wonderful hymn.
Have a blessed Sunday and a happy new week! Hugs!

donna said...

Thank you so much sweet Stephanie.
Have a blessed day.
Hugs
donna

Vee said...

Singing through all the verses you shared here, I was blown away by the solid teaching based on the Word of God. Wonderful! Some hymns are not scripturally sound; this one definitely is. Enjoyed the beautiful photography, too...

Debbie Harris said...

That last quote was glorious, every word of it so true.
What a beautiful post, Stephanie, and I had no idea that this hymn has many more verses.
Yes, if I had a thousand tongues I too would praise Christ with everyone.
This post was a delight on this Lord's day as we worship and praise God.

Have a beautiful day~~

Debbie Harris said...

That last quote was glorious, every word of it so true.
What a beautiful post, Stephanie, and I had no idea that this hymn has many more verses.
Yes, if I had a thousand tongues I too would praise Christ with everyone.
This post was a delight on this Lord's day as we worship and praise God.

Have a beautiful day~~

Debbie Harris said...

That last quote was glorious, every word of it so true.
What a beautiful post, Stephanie, and I had no idea that this hymn has many more verses.
Yes, if I had a thousand tongues I too would praise Christ with everyone.
This post was a delight on this Lord's day as we worship and praise God.

Have a beautiful day~~

Silvana Joanne said...

What an inspiring post... Love hearing these positive words before starting the new week. Have a blessed Sunday.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, precious Stephanie, I loved singing the first verses -- such a marvelous and rich hymn -- that I've sung so often! And then when I passed the photo and saw more verses, I was so delighted. What amazing words of true worship to our Father God! I am so blessed in reading this today, my precious friend! I also love the last quote about worship. So very true! Thank you, dear friend, for this joyful and worshipful post this Lord's Day! May you and your family enjoy this coming week after having a wonderful time worshipping Him together and with His people. Much love and hugs! xoxo

Pam Richardson said...

Dearest Stephanie, thank you for this beautiful post.. I have always loved the hymn! Only God is worthy of worship! Blessings and hugs, Pam @ Everyday Lving

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Stephanie! The English language sure has changed since woerth-scipe was used to express worship. That was interesting!
Hope your day is lovely.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wonderful photo's to go with the verses, thank you

All the best Jan

Mary Sorensen said...

One of my favorite hymns! It was wonderful to see more verses. I had no idea there were so many. Lovely. Thank you for sharing it. : )

Mari said...

I didn't know this hymn had s many verses either. I love the story behind it too - thanks for sharing!

Tamago said...

Beautiful post, Stephanie! Your roses are stunning and the pink vase is so adorable.
I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday weekend!

Bethany Carson said...

Lovely photos of the roses. O For a Thousand Tongues used to be one of my family's favorite hymns. I remember singing it together in our family "chapel time" when I was little.

Christine said...

From rose lover to another, beautiful!

Mildred said...

Hi Stephanie, Like you, I never knew there were so many verses to thy hymn. Very beautiful lyrics and photos of your roses. I hope you and your family are enjoying the long weekend. May the Lord richly bless you this week. xo

Mindy Whipple said...

Such wonderful comfort in the Psalms. Thank you for this beautiful way to begin my morning friend.

Christine said...

A wonderful hymn indeed and to be part of a congregation singing this heartily unto the Lord in worth-ship is a precious blessing!
How merciful God is, to allow us into His Holy Presence and then bless us!

Summer said...

Loving all the verses and hoping you are having a lovely day, Stephanie♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Karen said...

You have a gift for blending the beautiful photos with God's Word and precious hymns. You are truly a blessing.

Cheryl said...

Oh, for a thousand tongues, indeed! I keep telling my husband and son that I can't seem to get my praise out lately. I just can't seem to praise Him enough...I feel like my knees are not low enough. He has done SO much for us, it just doesn't ever feel like my worship and thanksgiving is adequate to relay to Him how very thankful I am. I am so glad He sees our hearts, and He knows. :)

Hope said...

Dearest Stephanie,

These are very lovely scripture verses - some of my favorites :)

The Word of God is so encouraging. This brings to my mind Hebrews 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

May we be all that God would have us to be.

Thank you for your precious Christian fellowship. I appreciate you, sweet Stephanie.

♥Hope

Cranberry Morning said...

I love this post, Stephanie. I've had a renewed love for the Psalms since they encourage worship and remind us of our great, holy, awesome, and loving God. I didn't appreciate the hymn as much when I was a child because I pictured it so literally. But it is a great hymn with far more verses than I realized! Thank you for this thoughtful post.

Red Rose Alley said...

Your pictures just made my day, dear one. Isn't that Pink vase pretty? The first picture is absolutely beautiful, and the words, glorious!

love, ~Sheri

ps I think I will put that on my computer screen for a little while. :)

Red Rose Alley said...

I tried to put it on my computer screen, but the words didn't fit, so I will just enjoy the picture on your blog. :)

Have a lovely rest of the week, Stephanie.

~Sheri

Ida said...

This is one of my favorite Hymns. I'm not familiar with some of the verses so it was neat to read them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...