Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Haven Of Rest




My soul in sad exile was out on life’s sea,
So burdened with sin and distrest,,
Till I heard a sweet voice, saying, “Make Me your choice”;
And I entered the Haven of Rest.


I yielded myself to His tender embrace,
And faith taking hold of the Word,
My fetters fell off, and I anchored my soul;
The Haven of Rest is my Lord.




The song of my soul, since the Lord made me whole,
Has been the old story so blest,
Of Jesus, who’ll save whosoever will have
A home in the Haven of Rest!


O come to the Savior, He patiently waits
To save by His power divine;
Come, anchor your soul in the Haven of Rest,
And say, “My Beloved is mine.”




Chorus
I’ve anchored my soul in the Haven of Rest,
I’ll sail the wide seas no more;
The tempest may sweep o'er the wild, stormy, deep,
In Jesus I’m safe evermore.
- Henry J. Gilmour -




 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, 
both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
Whither the forerunner is for us entered, 
even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
- Hebrews 6:19 & 20 -


And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, 
that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, 
and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by.
- Exodus 33:22 -


 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: 
but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.
- Psalm 34-19 -




What stabilizers are to a ship in stormy water,
the conscious presence of Christ is to a Christian
during the storms and stresses of daily living.
The Scriptures teach that
"man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward." {Job 5:7}
It is our reaction to life's storms that reveals the level of our spiritual maturity.
Not only do we have the indwelling presence of Christ,
but we also have the assurance that Jesus Christ is in heaven today
interceding for us.

The author of this text, Henry J. Gilmour,
came to the United States from Ireland as a teenager.
He practiced dentistry for a number of years
and then spent the last twenty-five years of his life as a gospel musician.
He was a gifted soloist
and was greatly respected as a choir director.
- Kenneth W. Osbeck -




And the peace of God, 
which passeth all understanding, 
shall keep your hearts and minds 
through Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 4:7 -


Come unto me, 
all ye that labour and are heavy laden,
 and I will give you rest.
- Matthew 11:28 -




My dear friends,
may you have a glorious and blessed Sunday!

27 comments:

Simply Linda said...

Beautiful sweet friend. I meant to email you and I forgot...(to busy with school, sigh)--hope you have a beautiful day friend.

magnoliasntea said...

Love this hymn, Stephanie, and your images are really beautiful.
It's kinda funny that years ago when we sang this song at church I it took me a while to notice that I was saying "sail the wild seas" instead of "sail the wide seas." lol
Have beautiful Lord's Day!

Sara - My Woodland Garden said...

Wonderful words and wonderful images, dear Stephanie!
Have a blessed Sunday! ♥

Doniene said...

And a very blessed day to you too!

This is the day that the Lord hath made an I will rejoice in It!

SpicingUpIdaho said...

Stephanie, you have a way of pairing the most delightful pictures with the loveliest of scriptures, hymns, and insight. Thank you for this glorious reminder about the REST that we have in Jesus, no other rest can be found... in the midst of our circumstances... but in HIM! Hugs and love to you today dear friend, praying the sweetest blessings and presence of the Lord be with you today :)

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, dearest Stephanie, what a beautiful and comforting post today along with the gorgeous images of the roses! Oh, what colors! I so love this old hymn, and what precious and comforting passages of Scripture, God's Word that is true for all times and occasions. Oh, may we rest in Him alone! Wishing you a beautiful week ahead, and thanks for this wonderful Lord's Day post! Hugs, precious friend!

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope you have a restful and peaceful week. xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Only in him do we have rest! Happy new week dearest Stephanie!

Mimi said...

Dearest Stephanie, wishing you a beautiful week. Thankyou for this soul restoring post. Love, Mimi xxx

Mindy Whipple said...

Jesus my hope - the anchor of my soul. Thanks for a lovely post Stephanie!

Vee said...

Those roses are stunning. I am not sure that I am familiar with this one, but I will look it up in my hymnal. Wonderful words.

Crafts trough the year said...

Sooooo lovely !

Prunella Pepperpot said...

Wonderful words and stunning images Stephanie.
Have a beautiful new week :)x

Lisa said...

So beautiful Stephanie!

Billie Jo said...

Beautiful, my sweet friend.
Hope you have a cozy week filled with fall fun!

Christine said...

Dear Stephanie thank you once again for sharing the Scriptures and the precious words of this lovely hymn with us!
I have been blessed just reading through them!

Summer said...

Very sweet, Steph☺ Have a great week ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Debby Ray said...

A most beautiful post, my dear Stephanie...those have to be among the most gorgeous roses I have ever seen! And I can hear that song playing in my head as I sit here typing these words. Such a balm to the soul! Hugs, sweet friend ♥

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful roses, Stephanie, and a beautiful hymn! "The Haven of Rest" has been one of my favorites for a very long time. Thanks for sharing it and the accompanying Scriptures. Such a blessing to my heart today!

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful words to accompany your beautiful pictures.
The flowers are gorgeous.

May you have a good week ahead

All the best Jan

Lea said...

What gorgeous pictures with such inspiring hymns and scriptures! Happy week!

mamasmercantile said...

Another beautiful post, the roses were a delight to see. Uplifting.

hobbyloes said...

Very beautiful hymn and the roses are of an unearthly beauty.

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful pictures of those lovely roses, the colors in them are just amazing! Such great reassuring words to go with them too! He has us in his hands and get us through anything that comes our way, all we have to do is come to him and he will give us rest, Praise the Lord!

Beatrice Euphemie said...

This is lovely, dear friend - and blessed reminder that He is with us all no matter how difficult life can be. The roses are exquisite. Wishing you a week full of sweet blessings. Hugs xo Karen

Debbie said...

i hope you had a nice day as well!!! the roses are GORGEOUS!!!! wishing you a wonderful week!!!!

Annesphamily said...

Beautiful, very well written and many great shares here. Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...