Saturday, September 24, 2016

The Witnesses - Book Review

Young lawyer Parker House is on the rise -
until his grandfather’s mysterious past puts both of their lives in danger.

Parker House’s secret inheritance is either his greatest blessing . . . or his deadliest curse. 
The fresh-faced North Carolina attorney shares his German grandfather’s uncanny ability 
to see future events in his mind’s eye -
a gift that has haunted 82-year-old Frank House
through decades of trying to erase a murderous wartime past.

While Parker navigates the intrigue and politics of small-town courtroom law, 
Frank is forced to face his darkest regrets. 
Then, a big career break for Parker collides with a new love he longs to nurture 
and the nightmares his grandfather can no longer escape. 
Sudden peril threatens to shatter not only Parker’s legal prospects 
but also his life and the lives of those dearest to him.

Two witnesses, two paths, an uncertain future.




My Thoughts
The Witnesses was the first book that I've read by Robert Whitlow and
I must say that I was very excited to dive into the story 
since Robert is quite the well-known author.
I am very sad to that I did not care for The Witnesses.
It was with great anticipation that I started reading this book,
but by the middle I was struggling to make it through 
and by the end I was rejoicing it was over 
so that I could move onto something more my style.

You may be wondering why I didn't care for this book. . .
well, let my try to explain.
Parker and his grandfather have a special "ability" to see things before they happen,
kind of like seeing into the future.
Because of this ability Parker seems like he has a sixth sense when dealing with court cases.
The same goes for his grandfather when he served in the war.
The German military used Parker's grandfather 
to "see" into the future to help them fight the war.
I am going to be honest and say that this kind of storytelling is not my style.

The writing was clean and without vulgarity
which I greatly appreciated.
The faith part of the story was more of a "feel good" aspect
with Scripture sprinkled here and there.
In one chapter Frank House comes to know the Lord,
but it was through some odd "experience" with lots of light.
The author never mentions placing your faith in Jesus Christ for salvation,
but rather plays off of feelings and emotions.

I will say that I seem to be the minority since the book has received great reviews.
I would encourage you to read other reviews 
because while I did not enjoy it you might.

I am giving this book 2 stars.

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from
the Fiction Guild Team for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About The Author
Robert Whitlow is the bestselling author of legal novels set in the South 
and winner of the Christy Award for Contemporary Fiction. 
He received his J.D. with honors from the University of Georgia School of Law 
where he served on the staff of the Georgia Law Review. 

6 comments:

Summer said...

Well... The plot sounds interesting! Thanks for the review, Steph. Have a great Ssunday♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I think you give a very good analysis of this book dearest Stephanie. Faith is not a "good feeling" but quite the contrary. It hurts, at times, it's maddening. It's a struggle we all deal with in this life, but that's what faith truly is. I fear that anyone who believes it's a good feeling will dry up on the side of the road so to speak, as Jesus said of those whose faith is not grounded like a good seed. Bravo to YOU.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I appreciate that you give your own honest reviews. I think I've read this author before. Enjoy your day sweet lady! Hugs, Diane

Miss Val's Creations said...

Oh it is disappointing to read a book that is not enjoyable. I don't care for supernatural things like telling the future so this one would not be for me either!

Amy at love made my home said...

It is difficult when a book isn't enjoyable to you. I find it hard to keep going, I do, but sometimes I wonder why. Well done you for finishing it. I hope that your next read will be more to your taste. xx

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I appreciate that you give such honest reviews. My goals for reading this winter are so high, and I have pinned several of the books you have reviewed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...