Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Devoted - Book Review

Bright, curious, and restless, Ruthie Stoltzfus loves her family 
but is stuck in a sea of indecision about her future: 
Should she stay Amish? 
Or should she leave? 
She's done all she can to prepare to go-
passed the GED, saved her money-
but she can't quite set her journey into motion.

Patrick Kelly is a young man on a journey of his own. 
He's come to Stoney Ridge to convert to the Amish 
and has given himself thirty days to learn the language, 
drive a buggy, and adapt to "everything Plain." 
Time, to Patrick, is of the essence. 
Every moment is to be cherished, 
especially the hours he spends with Ruthie, his Penn Dutch tutor.

Ruthie's next-door neighbor and cunning ex-boyfriend, Luke Schrock, 
is drawn to trouble like a moth to a flame. 
Rebellious, headstrong, defiant, Luke will do anything to win Ruthie back -anything-
and Patrick Kelly is getting in his way.

Bestselling author Suzanne Woods Fisher invites readers back to Stoney Ridge 
for a story of dreams deferred and hopes fulfilled-
complete with Fisher's signature twists that never fail to leave readers delighted.




My Thoughts
The Devoted is the third book in The Bishop's Family series
and while I have found this series to be so-so
this third book charmed my heart - I absolutely loved it!
It starts with a scene that is completely unexpected
and it's sure to capture the readers attention.
From the moment you start reading the first line of the first chapter
you will be swept away into the world of the Amish.

I greatly appreciated the sound doctrine and faith presented in this book.
Reading The Devoted was a great encouragement to my faith and walk with the Lord
as I learned through the lives of several of the characters.
Suzanne Woods Fisher does a phenomenal job of presenting God's Word
with sincere truth and clarity.
I also appreciated the emphasis on how important our time on earth is. . .

" Time.
Time was precious, it was fleeting, it was not in her control.
She had been wasting time, treating it as infinite.
Not valuing the life she'd been given, 
coveting what she didn't have.
Wasting time.
Wasting it!
Time should be cherished.
Every single day."
{The Devoted - pg. 280}

There is tender romance. . .
romance that is not be heart-pounding and over the top,
but rather soft and gentle, pure and sweet.
I also enjoyed the humor.
Jesse, Leroy, and Sammy especially had me smiling more than once. . .

"Jesse reached for a screwdriver and it slipped right out of his hands
and dropped on the ground with a thud.
He picked it up and sniffed it.
Every single tool had been polished with a thick, greasy coating of lard.
"I distinctly remember that you said to polish the tools,"
Leroy said, looking offended, when he and Sammy arrived at the buggy shop for work.
"I distinctly remember it.
Polish them until you can see your reflection in them.
So clean you can comb your hair from it.
That's what you said."
He reflected for a moment.
"We did think it was a peculiar custom."
Sammy nodded.
"We thought it was strange.
But we did what you asked."
"Clean and polish!
With mineral oil.
Not grease them with bacon fat."
"So that's where my can of lard went,"
came a certain voice, sharp as a pinch."
{The Devoted - pg. 86}

The "downside" of this book
{and I have said this with the other two books in this series}
is that there is a lot going on.
There are many characters that the reader needs to keep up with
and while I enjoy them all it can, at times,
be quite the task keeping up with their lives and activities.
During one chapter you will be reading about Ruthie and Patrick,
but then you don't hear from them again until several chapters down the road.
According to the back cover
Ruthie and Patrick come across as they main characters
yet I felt like there were more secondary simply because there are so many characters.
You have David, Birdy, Dok, Jesse, Ruthie, Patrick, Matt, and others
and they all have a story taking place.

The Devoted is a 4-star book in my eyes.

I would recommend reading the first two book in the series
before reading the third one.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Revell Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Suzanne Woods Fisher is an award-winning,
bestselling author of more than a dozen novels, including The Imposter, The Quieting, 
and The Inn at Eagle Hill series, as well as nonfiction books about the Amish,
including Amish Peace and The Heart of the Amish. 
She lives in California.
Learn more at www.suzannewoodsfisher.com 

11 comments:

Ashley~ said...

"Time" is SO precious and we all take it for granted too often. Sounds like a book I would enjoy! Love you

Daniela said...

Ok, I'll put it amongst the others I have in my wish list, your advices are always so very precious to me, darling Stephanie !

Hope you had the best of weeks, I'm wishing you a most wonderful weekend ever,
sending my dearest love to you, with utmost thankfulness

Xx Dany

Melanie said...

I like all of Suzanne Woods Fisher's books. I have a hard time keeping characters straight when there are a lot! Thank you for the review.

Anne Payne said...

Great review! I always feel lost if I don't' start at the beginning of a series. Suzanne's one of my favorite authors so I know I'll enjoy this one. Thanks, dear friend! Love & hugs for a happy weekend and blessed Sabbath :-)

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Stephanie loved reading your book review. It is so odd I would come visit you and your post would be about the Amish. My husband retired early and has began a taxi service for our Amish neighbors. Their simple lifestyle does cause one to pause and appreciate the sweetness that seems to have been lost in our more modern society. Looks like I need to check out this book. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I haven't been here for awhile. Life seems to happen - so hope to get back again sooner.

Mildred said...

Hi Stephanie and blessings to you this weekend. I appreciate your review of this book. Overnight, it turned cold and windy in Georgia, so it's the time of year when I will stock up on books to read.
God bless you and your family. xo

Lowcarb team member said...

Good to read your review here.
I think the Autumn and Winter seasons are good times to sit and read a good book.

All the best Jan

Gina said...

Stephanie, Tis the season to read books and more books! Thank you for your review. I will see if my library carries books by this author!

Tamago said...

Glad you enjoyed the book, Staphanie! I have hard time keeping up when there are many characters and many storylines. But I think it's good for brain exercise :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Stephanie! You must have a wealth of understanding and imagery from all the books you read! Bravo dear friend. I wish I had more time to sit and read and also had better EYES....I am fearing the worse that I won't be able to do such close up reading in my later years unless I use a magnifying glass, which I suppose I should just use NOW!

Enjoy your weekend!

baili said...

you are so lucky to find time to read and presume peacefully
i enjoyed your wise words truly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...