Saturday, November 19, 2016

Fatal Frost - Book Review

Mercy Brennan followed in her father's footsteps in a law enforcement career, 
but she has no interest in any other connection to him. 
A U.S. Marshal in St. Louis, Missouri, 
she's assigned to a joint task force with the St. Louis PD 
that puts her back into contact with her father 
and in the sights of St. Louis's most powerful gang.

When the gang has reason to believe Mercy has possession 
of some highly sensitive and incriminating information, 
her boss assigns Mark St. Laurent
--a Deputy U.S. Marshal and Mercy's ex-boyfriend--
to get her out of town until they can guarantee her safety. 

Initially unaware of the danger she's in and uncomfortable working with Mark, 
Mercy's frustration escalates when she discovers 
the extent her boss and Mark have been keeping her in the dark. 
It isn't until a freak ice storm hits, stranding them at a remote location 
and out of contact with the district office, that the full severity of their situation becomes clear. 
As the storm worsens, the forces of nature 
combine with a deadly enemy closing in to put their lives at imminent risk. 
Can they survive long enough for help to arrive--if help is even coming at all?




My Thoughts
Fatal Frost is the first book in the Defenders of Justice series
and while it was a good read I found it to be rather predictable.
I'm afraid the author gave away too much in the beginning
and by the middle of the book I pretty much had everything figured out.
There were moments of great suspense and action,
and then there were moments that seemed a little too unrealistic.
For me, Fatal Frost was simply mediocre especially since
I have read several books by Nancy Mehl and I know what a talented author she is.
I will make mention that I appreciated Nancy's recognition towards law enforcement
especially in today's day and age. . .
We are blessed to have such brave men and women 
put themselves on the line for justice.

Mercy, who is a U.S. Marshal, is the main female character in Fatal Frost.
From the very first chapter the reader is thrust into the conflict between 
law enforcement and the St. Louis drug cartel.
Nancy writes contemporary fiction and the picture she gives of the two groups
is something you would very likely {and sadly} see in our world today.

I have to say that I never really connected with Mercy's character.
She has a lot of emotional baggage from her childhood 
because her father left her when she was young. . .
that kind of pain doesn't go away.
Because of her father leaving she has come to depend on herself and herself only.
In the beginning she wants nothing to do with God since she feels He didn't answer her prayer 
when she asked Him to bring her father back.
Because of this self reliance she is very stubborn and anytime someone offers to help her
or tell her how to do something she instead tries to do it her way and on her terms.
Her character got a little old and frustrating, if you know what I mean.
I will bring to light that the sweetest part of the story
was when Mercy realized her need for Jesus Christ.
She found redemption, comfort, and healing in the one true Heavenly Father
and oh, how precious that was!

I am giving Fatal Frost 3.5 stars.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts and opinions are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Nancy Mehl is the author of 22 books, 
including the Road to Kingdom and Finding Sanctuary series. 
She received the ACFW Mystery Book of the Year Award in 2009. 
She has a background in social work and is a member of ACFW and RWA. 
Nancy writes from her home in Missouri, 
where she lives with her husband, Norman, and their Puggle, Watson. 
Visit www.nancymehl.com to learn more.

7 comments:

collettakay said...

Thanks for the review! I think I'll put it on my wishlist. Sometimes the first novel of a series isn't as good as the rest of the series. Here's hoping!

Coleltta

KimM said...

Interesting review.....I'll put the book on my "maybe" list.
xxx

Vee said...

I hate it when I can figure it out too soon! Thank you for the review.

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Great review! I trust you on it being mediocre....I will wait for the next review on one that is fabulous! I got my first book to read and review. I am a little nervous!

Lowcarb team member said...

Always interesting to read your reviews ...
Thanks

All the best Jan

Bethany Carson said...

Sounds like an interesting story--especially since I enjoy detective-style tv series. Thanks for another interesting review!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning dearest Stephanie! Another well-articulated review from YOU. How blessed you are to have enough time to plow through a book. I just can't seem to find time with my job, but at least with my job, I do have to read quite a bit in French!

I hope you are well and that you are gearing up for a blessed Thanksgiving get together. We are joining our neighbors across the street who are DARLING friends. If it snows, all we have to do is simply cross the street and we are there!

Blessings to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...