Saturday, November 12, 2016

Waves Of Mercy - Book Review

Geesje de Jonge crossed the ocean at age seventeen 
with her parents and a small group of immigrants from the Netherlands 
to settle in the Michigan wilderness. 
Fifty years later, in 1897, she's asked to write a memoir of her early experiences 
as the town celebrates its anniversary. 
Reluctant at first, she soon uncovers memories and emotions hidden all these years, 
including the story of her one true love. 

At the nearby Hotel Ottawa Resort on the shore of Lake Michigan,
twenty-three-year-old Anna Nicholson is trying to ease the pain 
of a broken engagement to a wealthy Chicago banker. 
But her time of introspection is disturbed after a violent storm aboard a steamship 
stirs up memories of a childhood nightmare. 
As more memories and dreams surface, 
Anna begins to question who she is 
and whether she wants to return to her wealthy life in Chicago. 
When she befriends a young seminary student who is working at the hotel for the summer, 
she finds herself asking him all the questions that have been troubling her.

Neither Geesje nor Anna, who are different in every possible way, 
can foresee the life-altering surprises awaiting them before the summer ends.




My Thoughts
Every year there is a book that shines brighter than the others. . .
it's a book that so captivates the mind and heart 
that the reader can't help but become entangled in the lives of the characters.
Waves of Mercy is that book, my friends.
Every year there is one book that pulls on my heartstrings a little more than the others
and I would have to say that this story is my number one choice for 2016.
I cried, I laughed, I got upset, I cried some more, 
I rejoiced, I was surprised, and yes, I cried again.
The author, Lynn Austin, brings so many emotions to the surface
that I truly believe there is not one emotion that goes untouched.
There are layers upon layers of history, love, heartache, and mercy woven together
and as you read the book you can't help but immerse yourself in those layers.

Geesje and Anna are the two heroines
and their stories will bring compassion to your hearts,
a smile to your face,
and at times, tears to your eyes.
Once Geesje begins to share her story with pen and paper
she completely loses herself in her past
and as she faces the heartache and trials all over again
she begins to find healing and restoration.
As she shares her story you can't help but see the mercy and love of God.

Lynn Austin did a phenomenal job of  painting a very vivid picture
of what immigrants faced as they traveled from their beloved home to a new world.
The history is rich with accuracy and detail.
While Waves of Mercy is entertaining it also directs and teaches in the ways of God.
This book is full of wisdom and it's sure to be a blessing and encouragement to all who read it.
That combined with amazing characters and a spectacular storyline
makes for an inspirational read.

Waves of Mercy is a remarkable story and one I highly recommend!
Most definitely a 5 star book 
and most definitely my favorite book for 2016.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts and opinions are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Lynn Austin has sold more than 1.5 million copies of her books worldwide. 
A former teacher who now writes and speaks full-time, 
she has won eight Christy Awards for her historical fiction.
 One of those novels, Hidden Places, 
has also been made into an Original Hallmark Channel movie. 
Lynn and her husband have raised three children 
and make their home in western Michigan. 
Learn more at www.lynnaustin.org

9 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This does look like a really good book. Thanks for the review!

KimM said...

Looks like a great read....I'm adding it to my list when the weather is too cold to go outside.
xxx

Christine said...

So happy to read your 5 star review of this novel & I look forward to reading it soon!
Lynn Austin has been one of my favourite Christian authors for some years.
Thank you for this recommendation !

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thank you for the five star review, my angel friend. I will have to add this to my list and possibly read it while traveling to Ohio! Thank you for sharing. xx

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Stephanie, Sounds like a great read. Thank you for sharing your review. With the winter months on the way, I like to stock up on reading for the cozy times when relaxing. Have a wonderful Sunday and week ahead. Blessings xo

Vee said...

Okay, if this is your very favorite of the entire year (you know, so far, 🙂) then you have my attention. If I see it...

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
Thank you, yes, I think I will be adding this one to my list for Winter reading. :-)
Carla

Debbie Harris said...

What a fantastic review! Thank you for placing this book into my hands and now after reading your review I can't wait to get started. :-)
Big cozy chair and fireside, here I come...

Love you~

Bethany Carson said...

I always enjoy your book reviews, Stephanie! Sounds like a neat story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...