Saturday, January 21, 2017

The Mark Of The King - Book Review

Life in this new world requires more strength
than she ever imagined.

After being imprisoned and branded for the death of her client, 
twenty-five-year-old midwife Julianne Chevalier trades her life sentence for exile 
to the fledgling 1720s French colony of Louisiana, 
where she hopes to be reunited with her brother, serving there as a soldier. 
To make the journey, though, women must be married, 
and Julianne is forced to wed a fellow convict.

When they arrive in New Orleans, 
there is no news of Benjamin, Julianne's brother, 
and searching for answers proves dangerous. 
What is behind the mystery, 
and does military officer Marc-Paul Girard know more than he is letting on?

With her dreams of a new life shattered, 
Julianne must find her way in this dangerous, rugged land, 
despite never being able to escape the king's mark on her shoulder 
that brands her a criminal beyond redemption.




My Thoughts
Tears, heartache, trials, courage, and hope
are just a few things that will draw you in and capture your attention
while reading The Mark of the King.
You will be drawn in from the very first line
and you will be held captive by the story long after you read the last chapter.

"The older woman's voice broke with empathy.
"But I want you to listen to me.
You will survive it.
If God wanted you with Him now too,
He would have taken you.
But here you are.
There is more life for you to live.
The sun will shine again."

With her hand pressed to her heart,
Julianne trapped a groan in her chest.
"Does the pain ease?
she whispered.

Francoise sighed.
"The pain changes, and you will change with it.
The sharp edges wear away in time,
but the loss remains.
You'll learn how to live with it."
{ The Mark of the King - pgs. 199-200 }

Will the characters face pain and heartache?
Yes.
Will they endure trials and difficulties?
Yes.
Is there joy, hope, and restoration in the morning?
Most definitely yes. . .
just as God's Holy Word promises.

The history in this book is spot on and truly amazing. . .
Indeed, I was left in awe of the accurate historical presentation.
The author does a phenomenal job of portraying what the French people
faced and endured in the 1700's in New Orleans, Louisiana.
And the characters she uses to present this portion of history 
will touch your heart in a mighty and beautiful way.

The Mark of the King is my first book by the talented Jocelyn Green
and it most certainly will not be my last!
I looked at this book on CBD.com and saw {at the time} 34 reviews. . .
32 of them being 5 stars.
I happily add my 5 stars to the others
and highly recommend this book to you, dear friends.
You won't regret reading The Mark of the King.

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts and opinions are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Jocelyn Green inspires faith and courage as the award-winning author 
of numerous fiction and nonfiction books, 
including Wedded to War, a Christy Award finalist in 2013, 
and The 5 Love Languages Military Edition
which she coauthored with bestselling author Dr. Gary Chapman. 
Jocelyn lives with her husband and two children in Iowa. 
Visit her at www.jocelyngreen.com.

14 comments:

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a wonderful book. I love a novel that combines accurate history to a story. I have never read this author either but will look for his books now. xo Diana

Melanie said...

I always enjoy a book that is based on history. This book sounds amazing. I've heard of this author but never read anything of hers. Thank you for the review, Stephanie.

faith76 said...

It really does sound a very good read. Thank you for your review xx

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This sounds really good. Thanks for the review!

Debbie Harris said...

Your review has me interested. :)
I enjoy reading your book reviews and hearing your honest opinion.
I may have to borrow this one after I finish the one I already have. I'm getting there. HA!

Thank you for the etsy Shoppe site for my material,I found something that I fell in love with!

Enjoy your day~~

Debbie Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

A new author for me to look out for now too!Sounds like a worthwhile read!
Thank you Stephanie, for this insightful review!

Linda Shukri said...

Hi Stephanie!

Thanks for posting your book review! What you posted from the book - I really needed to read it today. Thanks so much! I believe I will be ordering myself a copy. :-)

Linda S.

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm halfway through this book and I totally agree with your review. One of the best books I've read in a long time. She is a new author for me too and I'm definitely going to be on the hunt for more of her books.

Chris Lally said...

Can't wait to pick up a copy. Thank you, Stephanie!

Sarah said...

This sounds really interesting! I will have to keep it in mind. Thank you for the sweet comment you left me the other day! : ) It brightened my day. I hope to get back into blogging soon!!

sarah said...

This does sound interesting. I shall have to keep a look-out for it, or any others by the author, at the library. Thank you for sharing the review. <3

Carol Z said...

This looks great. I'm adding it to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation and wishes for a sweet week.

Anne Payne said...

Dear Stephanie, You've written another winning review! I've heard wonderful things about this book and look forward to adding it to my collection. Love & hugs!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...