Sunday, February 19, 2017

Beyond The Sunset


The ability to see "beyond the sunset" 
- to anticipate the glories of God's tomorrow -
enables a Christian to live joyfully and victoriously 
in any of life's circumstances.
- Kenneth W. Osbeck -




Beyond the sunset,
O blissful morning,
When with our Saviour
Heav'n is begun.
Earth's toiling ended,
O glorious dawning;
Beyond the sunset
When day is done.




Beyond the sunset,
No clouds will gather,
No storms will threaten,
No fears annoy;
O day of gladness,
O day unending,
Beyond the sunset,
Eternal Joy.




Beyond the sunset,
A hand will guide me
To God, the Father,
Whom I adore;
His glorious presence,
His words of welcome,
Will be my portion
On that fair shore.




Beyond the sunset,
O glad reunion,
With our dear loved ones
Who've gone before;
In that fair homeland
We'll know no parting,
Beyond the sunset
For evermore!
- Virgil P. Brock -




Virgil P. Brock told how he wrote this favorite hymn about heaven. . .

This song was born during a conversation at the dinner table, one evening in 1936, 
after watching a very unusual sunset at Winona Lake, Indiana,
with a blind guest, my cousin Horace Burr, and his wife, Grace.
A large area of the water appeared ablaze with the glory of God,
yet there were threatening storm clouds gathering overhead.
Our blind guest excitedly remarked that he had never seen a more beautiful sunset.

"People are always amazed when you talk about seeing," I told him.
"I can see," Horace replied.
"I see through other people's eyes, and I think I often see more;
I see beyond the sunset."

The phrase "beyond the sunset" 
and the striking inflection of his voice struck me so forcibly
I began singing the first few measures.
"That's beautiful!" his wife interrupted.
"Please go to the piano and sing it."
We went to the piano nearby and completed the first verse.
Before the evening meal was finished, all four stanzas had been written
and we sang the entire song together.




 In my Father's house are many mansions: 
if it were not so, I would have told you. 
I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, 
I will come again, 
and receive you unto myself; 
that where I am, there ye may be also.
- John 14:2-3 -


 For our conversation is in heaven; 
from whence also we look for the Saviour, 
the Lord Jesus Christ:
Who shall change our vile body, 
that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, 
according to the working whereby he is able 
even to subdue all things unto himself.
- Philippians 3:20-21 -


And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; 
and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, 
neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
- Revelation 21:4 -




Think of stepping on shore and finding it Heaven!
Of taking hold of a hand and finding it God's,
Of breathing new air, and finding it celestial air,
Of feeling invigorated, and finding it immortality,
Of passing from storm and tempest to an unbroken calm,
Of waking up, and finding it Home!
- Unknown -




Have a most beautiful and blessed Lord's Day, friends!

27 comments:

Debbie said...

such beautiful words and lovely images!! your tea cup sets are the prettiest i have ever seen!! i hope you stop by today!!

Karen said...

I had not heard the story behind that hymn. Our girls trio used to sing it at church in the 60's. Your post was so meaningful to me. As I get older I have more and more friends and family in Heaven. Someone said, in this life, when we close our eyes, we see only darkness, but when Jesus calls us home, we will close our eyes for the last time and see LIGHT!

Vee said...

A beautiful story behind that hymn...amazing and awesome, too.

Daniela said...

What a beautiful hymn and what a touching, moving story there's behind it, I'm so grateful to you for sharing it with us today, precious Stephanie, you're such a treasure to me, darling Friend !

Wishing you a most wonderful Sunday
sending blessings on your way

XOXO Dany

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Just beautiful!

Debbie Harris said...

My that was beautiful and touching, Stephanie.
Isn't that beautiful of the blind guest, to be able to see the beauty through the eyes of others, how sensitive.
Stories behind the hymns go so deep and have such tremendous meaning.
Thank you for sharing the beauty with us accompanied by your lovely photos.

Enjoy this blessed day ♡

Ang Smith said...

That's a really great story! Thanks for sharing. :) And a really pretty tea cup. Have a great week!

Maggie Ann said...

Dear Stephanie, this is a beautiful post! I enjoyed singing along, and then the icing on the cake are those precious scriptures. May your new week be ever so blessed.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, dear Stephanie, what a beloved hymn that I remember well growing up. It was often sung as a solo or duet, and my beloved dad sang it many times as a solo. And once again, he would sing it with his whole heart expectant of that "day" when he would see Jesus...and now he has. And I shall see him someday as well. What beloved words and so dear to me, and the wonderful story about how this hymn began it so touching. Yes, it shows how a blind man can see even without his eyes. All we need is Jesus' eyes. May you have a blessed day, precious friend...sending hugs and love! xoxo

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful story that is, Stephanie....to see the Glory of God through another's eyes. That is a wonderful piece. Your post is just as lovely as you are, Stephanie. xo Diana

Sandy said...

What a perfect post - "To see beyond the sunset" -- that really speaks to my soul - it acknowledges that there is more out there then the eyes can see. I love this post Stephanie - you have a way of speaking to my soul.
Sandy xx

mamasmercantile said...

Once again an uplifting experience visiting your blog. The story behind the lyrics were a joy and the stunning photography a delight.

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

Blessings friend.

Gina said...

Stephanie, how lovely! And your teacup matches the artwork in the background!

Chris Lally said...

I think I will have goosebumps until tomorrow morning! What a lovely, lovely post.

I sincerely appreciate your blog - all of the thought, time and effort you spend pulling it together, not only to glorify God, but to uplift every reader. Thank you so much, Stephanie. May God bless you abundantly!

Much love, friend!

annie said...

Such a beautiful post, I loved it all!

Cheryl said...

Aww! The poem towards the end is the one we put on the back of my dear Daddy's funeral handouts. It comforts me so much to know that he and my dear Mom are now resting in a place that is beyond the sunset. Have you ever heard the bluegrass song, "Beyond The Sunset"? Here is a link to it by Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver. It is so beautiful! I hope you can take the time to listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooht03bxPuI
Sending you love and hugs, sweet friend. :)

krishna said...

Such a beautiful and captivating post...

Mari said...

You share the best old songs, often ones that I haven't heard for some time. I love learning the story behind this.

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Stephanie! Wow, I haven't heard this song in years. Love your photos.
Hope you have a great week!

Laura Lane said...

Happy week my friend! Pretty post.

Tamago said...

Beautiful post, Stephanie! I hope you enjoyed lovely weekend :-)

Creations By Cindy said...

I love your lovely things dearest Stephanie. Beautiful post dear lady. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Debby Ray said...

What a beautiful post Stephanie...I had never heard the details background story behind this beautiful hymn before. I have always loved it but when you share the history, it becomes so much more lovely. We have been having some amazing sunsets but nothing to compare to what we will witness in our Heavenly Home! Beautiful teacup too! Blessings on your week, my friend! Hugs!♥

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I loved reading the story behind the beautiful hymn, Stephanie, and how the blind guest was able to see through others. Doesn't that make the hymn even more beautiful? Thank you for sharing, and for taking such pretty pictures with your lovely teacup. Love and hugs, sweet friend.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a touching story, Stephanie. Your blind cousin is very special when he said that he could see through other people's eyes. I just talked with a friend from high school, and she couldn't see very well any more because of her diabetes, but she told me today that she's able to see now and that she gets her new glasses in two weeks. Our eye sight is a precious gift, indeed. And we will see so much goodness one day beyond that sunset, won't we, dear Stephanie?

love, ~Sheri

Conniecrafter said...

It is always interesting to hear the stories behind hymns and poems, wow to have written it all in one evening with the music is amazing, I think some things are just meant to be and flower from us when the Spirit of God moves it in us.
That cup and saucer are just beautiful, and pretty bracelet also!
Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...