Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Still Life - Book Review

Romantic Suspense's Rising Star Continues to Win Fans

Blacklisted in the photography business over a controversial shot, 
Avery Tate answered an ad for a crime scene photographer. 
She expected to be laughed at, 
but crime scene analyst Parker Mitchell hired her outright--
and changed her life. 
But six months ago, when her feelings for Parker became too strong, 
she left his employ to sort out her heart. 

Now, for the first time, 
Avery is facing the world that rejected her 
to attend the gallery opening of a photography exhibit 
and support her best friend, who modeled for the show. 
But the only image of her friend is a chilling photo of her posing as if dead--
and the photographer insists he didn't take the shot. 
Worse, her friend can't be found. 
She immediately calls Parker for help. 
As Avery, Parker, and his friends in law enforcement dig into the mystery, 
they find themselves face-to-face with a relentless and deadly threat.




My Thoughts
If you enjoy romantic suspense novels
than this book is for you.
First of all, I must applaud Dani Pettrey's work once again.
Every book that I have read by her has piqued my interest,
kept me on my toes, and left me wanting more.
She is truly a phenomenal and talented author.

Still Life is the second book in the Chesapeake Valor series
and with it came the reuniting of the characters from the first book Cold Shot.
I would recommend reading this series in order
since the characters and some situations are brought into both stories
which appear will carry on into the next book.
Besides, the first book was just as good so it won't be hard to start at the beginning.
You can read my review for Cold Shot by clicking here.

Avery is the main female character in Still Life
and I must say that I simply loved her!
She has quite the past--
a past filled with pain, sin, and heartache,
but at nineteen-years-old she comes to know the Lord as her Savior,
and from that day forward she is a new creation in Jesus Christ.
The author did a beautiful job of reminding the readers through Avery's character
that God loves us and no sin is too great for Him to forgive.
Oh, the blessed forgiveness that He offers - what a gift!
On several occasions Avery struggled with her past because of the situation she was in,
but she was always reminded that she was indeed a new creation in Christ
and nothing could change that. . .absolutely nothing!
Avery just might be one of my favorite characters from the many, many books that I have read.

And Parker. . .
oh, what a delight he was!
He is strong, kind, compassionate, and ever so understanding
with Avery and the situation with her missing friend.
He is certainly a man of valor.

Still Life was another book that kept me up late at night turning the pages 
in hopes of finding out the ending of the story
and of course when it came to end I wanted to start it all over again.
While the suspense may have been lacking a teeny tiny bit,
it was till very good and well-written.
The characters alone kept me intrigued
as the author has a way of bring them to life.
And the romance in this book is simply precious.
It was not overdone nor was it nonexistent. . .
it was the perfect happy medium.

I would not recommend this book to young/teen readers,
but rather to older and married women.
Still Life is easily a 4 star read.

 ** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Dani Pettrey is the bestselling author of the Alaskan Courage series 
and winner of the 2014 Daphne du Maurier award for Inspirational Novel, 
the 2014 Christian Retailing's Best Award for Suspense, 
and the 2013 Holt Medallion for First Novel. 
She and her husband reside in the D.C. Metro area. 
She can be found online at www.danipettrey.com.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tomorrow, dear friends, 
is the first day for the Tea Cup and Mug Exchange registration!
See you then!


7 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank you for the review. I always enjoy reading what you have to say about them. I have a pile of books to read and this is one I may add to my list. Have a blessed day.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Looks like a good read! I was just at your Etsy shop as well -- so many cute things -- you've been busy! love those tea cozies and the owl pillows and well, all of it! Oh and the pocket card too . . . I've been MIA as work has kept me hopping. I've managed to squeeze in projects but no time to post them haha! Hoping to get back in the groove soon! Have a glorious week!!

Mrs. Chrissy T said...

This sounds like a book I would love. I am actually going to check my library for the first book. Thanks for sharing.

Gina said...

How exciting Stephanie!

Lowcarb team member said...

This sounds a good book - thanks for the review

All the best Jan

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

This book does sound intriquing! I hope my library has it!

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

This definitely sounds like a page turner!
Thank you for another great review!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...