Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Long Time Gone - Book Review

The Boden clan thought their problems had ended 
with the death of a dangerous enemy, 
but have they truly uncovered the real plot to take their New Mexico ranch? 
Rancher Justin Boden is now in charge. 
He is normally an unshakable and rugged man, 
but with his brother, Cole, shot and in mortal danger, 
even a tough man faces doubts. 
And it doesn't help that Angie DuPree, the assistant to the doctor trying to save Cole, 
is as distracting a woman as Justin ever laid eyes on.

With her and the doc's timely skills, Cole looks to be on the mend, 
and Justin and the rest of the Bodens can turn their attention back to the dangers facing them. 
It's clear now that everything that's occurred is part of a much bigger plot 
that could date back to a decades-old secret. 
Can they uncover all the pieces before danger closes in on them, 
or is the threat to the ranch even bigger than any of the Bodens could imagine?




My Thoughts
Ah, the lovely and talented Mary Connealy!
She combines action, romance, humor, and a touch of suspense
to produce a book that will have you jumping up and down in excitement,
sighing with hearts in your eyes, laughing out loud and quite possibly snorting a time or two,
and sitting on the edge of your seat with your toes curled 
and your fingers tightly clutched around the pages.
Mary Connealy is a unique and talented author
who always writes a riveting and irresistible story.

Long Time Gone is the second book in The Cimarron Legacy series
and I would highly recommend reading the first one No Way Up
before reading Long Time Gone.
You can read my review for the first book by clicking here.
The second book picks up right where the first book left off
with the Boden clan doing all they can to save their beloved ranch and their lives.

While Angie and Justin are the two main characters
the reader will also get to catch up with Sadie and Heath
{the main characters from the first book}
as well as Chance and Veronica Boden
{the parents of Sadie, Justin, and Cole}.
As you open the book and turn the pages of Long Time Gone
it's like meeting up with longtime friends and family.

Angie was introduced in the first book No Way Up
where she practically fell from the train in exhaustion and near starvation
into the arms of Justin Boden.
My, what an introduction!
Angie is originally from the city 
and is considered "too fragile" for life in a ranching community.
But her life in the city was not easy with a controlling mother and husband.
As Angie regains her physical strength
she also regains her spiritual strength.
Through her darkest hours and days she leans on the Heavenly Father 
and finds the courage she needs to live her life for Him no matter what she's faced with.

Now I must add that while this book was simply delightful
and I would read it again in a heartbeat
I thought the romance between Angie and Justin was. . .okay.
There is a lot going on concerning the Bodens ranch
and throwing Angie and Justin's love story into the middle of it just didn't fit.
I felt like there wasn't enough connection or spark between the two characters.
The romance wasn't necessarily bad. . .
I just felt it was rushed and maybe a tad forced.

A four star read, my friends.
 I am looking forward to the third book in the series
as I have a "feeling" it will be a dandy!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Mary Connealy writes "romantic comedies with cowboys" 
and is celebrated for her fun, zany, action-packed style. 
She has over half a million books sold. 
She is the author of the popular series Wild at Heart, Kincaid Brides, Trouble in Texas, 
Lassoed in Texas, Sophie's Daughters, and many other books. 
Mary lives on a ranch in eastern Nebraska with her very own romantic cowboy hero. 
Learn more at www.maryconnealy.com.

Stop by the blog tomorrow 
for a sweet little surprise :)

14 comments:

Mildred said...

Thanks so much for this book review and for telling us about the author. By the way, Apr. 2 is John's bdy also!

Debbie said...

although i do not read, i always read your book reviews and i think they are just wonderful!!! i am sure these reviews are helpful for those searching for a good read!!!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Isn't it fascinating how we each show our passion for a genre of books to read and I can tell you favour love stories. Me, I'm into mysteries starting with the Nancy Drew series when I was a young teenager.
You do make the books you review enticing though Stephanie.

SpicingUpIdaho said...

An excellent review Stephanie, if I ever find time to read, I'll be coming back to find some of your great reviews for a good book to read :)

Christine said...

Thanks for your honest review, Stephanie.
I must admit that I have found several of Mary Conneally's romances 'a tad forced'.
Best wishes!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Sounds like another great book and series to read! So many books, so little time! I am always amazed at how much you read, which is wonderful.

Gina said...

Stephanie, this looks like a book for me! I love western romances. ♥

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a decent book, Stephanie. I do hate it though when they throw romance in just for the sake of having romance in a book. Hope you have a great night- xo Diana

Creations By Cindy said...

You give the best book reviews . Hugs and blessings , Cindy

Vee said...

Ahhh...good observation! If the writer does not make us care and deeply about the main characters something has gone awry.

krishna said...

ah! wow.. it's very thrilling..

Lady Linda said...

Sounds good. I love your book reviews. Happy Spring my friend.

Tamago said...

Sounds like a great read! I always love stories that include humor :-)

Beverly Kirk said...

Wow.... I'm so close to being a --day late and a dollar short --- but I think I've made it into this drawing by lovely Stephhie! March persons are so unique in the birthdays.... Happy day great son!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...