Saturday, May 20, 2017

A Stranger At Fellsworth - Book Review

In the fallout of her deceased father’s financial ruin, 
Annabelle’s prospects are looking bleak. 
Her fiance has called off their betrothal, 
and now she remains at the mercy of her controlling and often cruel brother. 
Annabelle soon faces the fact that her only hope for a better life 
is to do the unthinkable and run away to Fellsworth, 
where her estranged uncle serves as the school’s superintendent. 
Upon arrival, Annabelle learns that she must shed her life of high society 
and work for her wages for the first time in her life.
Owen Locke is unswerving in his commitments. 
As a widower and father, he is fiercely protective of his only daughter. 
As an industrious gamekeeper, he is intent on keeping poachers at bay 
even though his ambition has always been to purchase land he can call his own. 
When a chance encounter introduces him to Annabelle Thorley, 
his steady life is shaken. 
For the first time since his wife’s death, 
Owen begins to consider a second chance at love.

As Owen and Annabelle grow closer, 
ominous forces threaten the peace they thought they'd found.
Poachers, mysterious strangers, and murderers converge at Fellsworth, 
forcing Annabelle and Owen to a test of fortitude and bravery 
to stop the shadow of the past from ruining their hopes for the future.




My Thoughts
A Stranger at Fellsworth written by the lovely Sarah E. Ladd 
is the third installment in A Treasures of Surrey series.
I have read the first two books in the series
and you can find my reviews for them by clicking on the titles:



This third book was good and nicely written,
but I must tell you that it was not my favorite out of the series.
In fact, it turned out to be my least favorite.
The first two books were truly amazing
and they captivated my attention from the beginning.
A Stranger at Fellsworth captivated my attention. . .
but it was more slow than quick.
There was something. . .
something I can't quite put my finger on. . .
that was simply missing from the book.
There was romance kindling between the two main characters, 
but I felt like there could have been more "pizazz" between Annabelle and Owen.
There interaction was kept to a minimum 
and then all of sudden they were expressing their undying love for one another.
The suspense was good, but it, too, seemed to lack just a little.
The book was a tad cliché. . .
there is a damsel in distress,
a gentleman finds and helps the damsel,
the damsel and gentleman fall in love,
and they live happily ever after.
I don't mean to have high standards,
and I certainly don't mind happily ever after endings,
but it was like the book was just shy of being top notch.

So I guess what I'm saying is that yes, I enjoyed the book,
but I would have liked a teeny tiny bit more "meat" to the story.
Is A Stranger at Fellsworth bad?
No, not at all!
Would I recommend this book to others?
Why, certainly!
I would also recommend the series 
as the first two books won my heart. . .
especially the second one, Dawn at Emberwilde.

Sarah E. Ladd is a delightful writer with a lot of talent.
I am giving A Stranger at Fellsworth 4 stars.

 ** I was given a complimentary copy of this book from BookLook Bloggers
for an honest review. 
All thoughts are my own and no other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Sarah E. Ladd received the 2011 Genesis Award in historical romance 
for The Heiress of Winterwood. 
She is a graduate of Ball State University 
and has more than ten years of marketing experience. 
Sarah lives in Indiana with her amazing family and spunky Golden Retriever. 
Facebook: SarahLaddAuthor 
Twitter: @SarahLaddAuthor

11 comments:

Chris Lally said...

Your honest reviews are always welcome, Stephanie. It does sound like a great series. Thanks!!

Debbie Harris said...

Such a gracious review, Stephanie.
Have a beautiful and blessed day~~

Mildred said...

Thank you for your honest review. I will be looking for the other books in this series. Have a lovely day!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

I love your honesty in these reviews because it really helps choose which ones to read with so many choices out there!

Sandi said...

I wonder if anyone's life was ever like one of these books? :-)

Mrs. Jane Adeline said...

I'm intrigued! I shall have to check out the first two books in the series. I'm in the mood for a good book!

Gina said...

Oh no - poachers! Get the shotgun, Annabelle! xo

krishna said...

Good review.. I like it.. :)

Laura Lane said...

OH, I enjoyed Dawn at Emberwilde a great deal. I think I'd enjoy this, too.
Be blessed!
Laura

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello dearest Stephanie! Your book review just gave me an idea, but I doubt if I'd ever become a novelist...but a poem could come out of it. Thank you for always sharing your insight with us and have a fabulous Sunday!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm enjoying your book reviews Stephanie - thank you. I'm always searching for a new author to discover!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...