Saturday, September 09, 2017

Crisis Shot - Book Review

Tess O’Rourke dreams of becoming 
the first female chief of police in Long Beach, California. 
As commander of the East Division, she is well on her way . . . 
until the night she responds to an officer-needs-assistance call 
and fatally shoots an unarmed teenager. 
Despite being cleared of wrongdoing by a grand jury, 
Tess is so hounded by the public that she takes a job in Oregon to escape the bad press.

Winning over the residents of Rogue’s Hollow might be more difficult 
than adjusting to her new role as police chief in the small, backwater town. 
Especially when her closest friend, the pastor’s wife, 
goes missing and the woman’s cousin is found shot. 
Tess finds an ally in sheriff’s deputy Steve Logan, 
but as they track down Rogue’s Hollow’s first murderer, 
she worries that she’s breaking one of her rules and getting too close to him.





My Thoughts
Crisis Shot is my first book by Janice Cantore
and it certainly won't be my last.
This book is the first in the Line of Duty series
so if you're looking for an exciting series to follow and enjoy
than this one might be right up your alley.

Crisis Shot is set in a quaint little town in Oregon called Rogue's Hollow
and I must say that reading this story is like taking a mini vacation.
Janice does a wonderful job of describing the town and all that makes up the town
that it's like you have jumped into the very story you are reading.
Also, may I just mention that Janice Cantore
seems to breathe life into her characters
and their personalities flow effortlessly throughout the story.
Each character is portrayed in such a way
that makes you feel as if you've known them for years.

While I enjoyed this book
and I would recommend it to those who enjoy suspense,
I feel the need to mention that the book seemed a bit slow at first.
I confess that when I started the book
I figured it would be one that I couldn't put down,
but sadly, I did put it down
and it took a few days for me to get interested in picking it back up.
But with that said, once I got half way through the story picked up its pace
and oh, what a fantastic read!
I understand that the author is starting a new series
and it does take a little while to introduce the reader to the town and characters
so I am simply assuming that is why it was slow at the beginning.
So my friends, that is my only complaint
and it's not too serious of a complaint.
{{smiles}}
I think that is evidence that this book is one you might enjoy.

** I was provided a copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers
in exchange for my honest review. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Janice Cantore is a retired Long Beach police officer
who now writes suspense novels to keep readers engrossed
and leave them inspired.
Her twenty-two years of experience on the force
lend authenticity to her stories.
She has penned nine novels:
the Pacific Coast Series, Critical Pursuit, Visible Threat,
and the Cold Case Justice series.

8 comments:

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Greetings from the UK. Thanks for the review. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

Chris Lally said...

Sounds like an awesome book. Thanks for the review, Stephanie!!

sarah said...

it sounds interesting :-) I hope you are having a lovely day.

KimM said...

Looks like I need to add this to my reading list!
xxx

Kate said...

I have seen this and it looked interesting. I struggle with books that are slow. Life is short so I have had to make a rule for myself to give it one chapter. If I struggling to stay focused, I put it in the 'can't finish' pile. It can be disappointing but there are so many books out there.
Thanks for the review!
Kate

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

This book sounds right up my alley! I love mystery/detective/romances that keep me reading. Since I live in Oregon, I love books by authors who write with small Oregon towns as the area of the story. I can usually tell which "real" town they are talking about! There is an (Christian) author who lives in Sisters, Oregon, a wonderful mountain town, and many of her stories take place in that town. I love her... and I think you would too. Her name is Melody Carlson. She has a Whispering Pines Series of 3 books and the stories all take place in Sisters, Oregon. It is a WONDERFUL read! You'd enjoy it immensely I'm sure. The first book is A Place to Come Home To, the second is Everything I Long For, and the third is Looking for You All My Life. I order all of her books from our local library. Don't know if you could there, but perhaps from Amazon.. she does have alot of ebooks too which I'm going to check out. Her website is melodycarlson.com. Have fun! And I'm going to try this book you recommend and the others by the author. Hugs.. Marilyn

roth phallyka said...

Thanks for the review, Stephanie!!


หีฟิต

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Enjoyed your review Stephanie, it is always wonderful to hear the good and the bad, and it sounds like you are right, she was just creating the setting for the book, but how wonderful that her storyline pulled you in. I will no doubt have some reading time soon, and may be looking back through some of your reviews to see what would look good on my reading list. Hugs to you today :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...