Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Loving Luther - Book Review

A happy hello to you, 
friends, readers, and sweet followers!
Long time no chat and for that I am truly sorry.
You may have noticed things have been a little quiet around here. . .
life has been rather busy and unfortunately,
I have not been able to write any posts or visit your lovely blogs.
Thank you for your patience, my friends.
I will be "back up and running" very soon.
Until then, please know that you are greatly appreciated
and thought of often.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Loving Luther - Book Review

Germany, 1505
In the dark of night, 
Katharina von Bora says the bravest good-bye a six-year-old can muster 
and walks away as the heavy convent gate closes behind her.

Though the cold walls offer no comfort,
Katharina soon finds herself calling the convent her home. 
God, her father. 
This, her life. 
She takes her vows—a choice more practical than pious—
but in time, a seed of discontent is planted 
by the smuggled writings of a rebellious excommunicated priest named Martin Luther. 
Their message? 
That Katharina is subject to God, and no one else. 
Could the Lord truly desire more for her than this life of servitude?

In her first true step of faith, 
Katharina leaves the only life she has ever known. 
But the freedom she has craved comes with a price, 
and she finds she has traded one life of isolation for another. 
Without the security of the convent walls or a family of her own, 
Katharina must trust in both the God who saved her 
and the man who paved a way for rescue. 
Luther’s friends are quick to offer shelter, 
but Katharina longs for all Luther has promised: 
a home, a husband, perhaps even the chance to fall in love.




My Thoughts
I have always enjoyed Allison Pittman's writings
and once again she weaves a tale that is rich in history.
Because of the limited resources and information on Katharina von Bora,
Allison had to "fill in the blanks" concerning Katharina's life.
The author painted a picture. . .
a beautiful and inspiring picture. . . 
of a woman who is considered one of the most important participants 
of the Reformation. 
Katharina played a role in helping to define Protestant family life 
and she helped set the tone for clergy marriages.

"Do you know when I first heard your voice?"
Not from the confessional,
and not in that day in Togau,
when you asked about the women.
Not the sounds you make when you speak,
but your voice?
It was months before.
Years, even, when I held a scrap of paper with your writing.
'The Freedom of a Christian.'"
{Loving Luther - pg. 398}

The characters are courageous, bold, dauntless, and valiant
in the face of persecution all for the Lord Jesus Christ.
They are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure God's Truth
is proclaimed among the people.
Loving Luther goes deep into the history of the Reformation.

Read Loving Luther, my friends.
You will be inspired, encouraged, and emboldened
when you read about Martin Luther, Katharina von Bora,
and what the believers faced in the 1500's.
A five star book!

** I was given a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for an honest review.
All thoughts are my own. No other compensation was received. **

About the Author
Award winning author Allison Pittman, 
a high-school English teacher who also serves 
as director of the theater arts group at her church. 
She is also the co-president of a dynamic Christian writers group in the Texas area, 
where she makes her home with her husband and their three boys.
Favorite Bible Verse: 
Lamentations 3:22-23 -
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, 
for his compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

27 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Dear Stephanie - hope all is well with you. Sometimes life can become very overwhelming...take care. This looks like a wonderful book - thank you for the review...will be on the lookout for this one. Hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

... and a happy hello to you too dear Stephanie.
Many thanks for the review - hoping all is well with you and yours.

My good wishes

All the best Jan

Elizabeth S said...

This book sounds like a good read and I greatly appreciate your review. :)

Simply Linda said...

I have been thinking of you sweet friend. You have been in my prayers.

krishna said...

Dear Stephanie, hope everything is fine. The book is a good read... I always love to read your review.. Hugs n kisses..

Linda S. said...

Hi Stephanie!

Your book review was ever so timely, because I just got back from a trip to SC to see family and I also attended their church services - the same church my husband and I get our online messages from - because we don't have a church right now. Well, this church has a bookstore and I purchased "Luther in Love"!!! The author escapes me, but it's written by a man. It chronicles Martin Luther's story and the reformation from the eyes of Katharine. I started reading it on my way home (via 3 planes) and was halfway thru it. I am more than 3/4 thru it now. It's an excellent book. I love how Martin refers to his wife as "Kate" - "Kette" and my favorite "my rib!" :-) Thanks for the book review. I'll keep that one in mind for the future. I'll probably be posting about my book on my blog in the near future. It is excellent too. Hope things are well! Love, Linda

Regina said...

I've been wondering how you are. I've been praying for your grandma and that she would recover soon.

sarah said...

Dear Stephanie, I wish you all that you need at this time. The book sounds very interesting :-)

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hello Stephanie, yes this is such a busy time of year. I do hope all is well with you. This sounds like a nice book to read and it's the perfect time of year to curl up on the couch and read. Take care.
Julie

Bernideen said...

with October 31st marking the 500th Anniversary of Luther nailing his 95 Thesis up in Edinburgh - we are in a class about Luther and much enjoying it. My only disappointment was how anti-semetic he was.

Cheryl said...

Dear Stephanie, sending you all good wishes and hope that you and your family are well. Your book review is very timely for me, as I am a Lutheran, and this year is a special year in the Lutheran church due to the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther posting the 95 Theses on the church door in Wittenberg. Movies are being shown in our church and there is even a Bible study on Martin Luther's wife, Kate. I will definitely look for this book that you reviewed. Have a great day!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

If you give it 5 stars...I know it's one I want to read! Wonderful review. I could use an uplifting book to read! Hugs, Diane

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

You have been missed but at least we know that you have been reading along with your busyness! Thank you for a wonderful review.

Kate said...

I have heard so many great things about this book. I definitely am going to add this to my to read list. Thank you for the great review!
Kate

Vee said...

Interesting...I have never even imagined the life of Martin Luther and his wife. I don’t usually favor historical novels, but this one sounds special.

Debbie said...

you are busy reading - this sounds like a pretty good one and is certainly a thorough one!!!

Christy ♥ said...

Estimada amiga, yo también te recuerdo y extraño tus comentarios pero no te preocupes aquí te estoy esperando

Bendiciones♥

Tamago said...

It’s nice to see your update, Stephanie! I hope you and your family are enjoying lovely autumn. The book sounds very interesting!
Have a great day! Xo

Conniecrafter said...

I do hope that you are busy because all is going well and not that you are overwhelmed and there are problems.... this sounds like an interesting book, I grew up a Lutheran and went to a Lutheran school from K-8 grade. I recently watched a documentary about Luther and I had learned a lot that I hadn't known before.
Take care and hope you are having a good October, can't believe this year is going so fast!

Mimi said...

Dearest Stephanie, it has been a challenging year here too, so never fear. You have been in my thoughts as well. I trust things are looking up and you can re-join us in Blog Land soon. Love, Mimi xxx

Anne Payne said...

Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts about the book and generating enthusiasm among your readers! I'm sure this author will be selling many more copies of this entrancing story. It will have to go in my TBR soon.

{hugs}}

hobbyloes said...

It seems to me as a very good book. We have a book for children about Luther, very nice.
Have a blessed weekend, Stephanie!

Pam Jackson said...

I don't read like I used to when I was younger but I am working on one that I picked up today at Goodwill....it is one of Mary Higgins Clark that I never read before, "Daddy's Gone A Hunting"! Pretty good and since I am away from home house/dog/bird sitting at my brothers I have been sitting around reading so I have made a dent in the book already.

Christine said...

A book I must read! Thanks for such a thorough review! I read Jody Hedlunds novel about Luther & Katherine & really loved it!
Well timed too, as we near the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation!
Best wishes, Stephanie!

Lowcarb team member said...

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts ...

All the best Jan

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You review the best sounding books!! This one is going on my want-to-read list for sure.

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

This is definitely a book I would love to read, a challenge to the Christian faith met in difficult circumstances. Your review really made we want to read this book!

I hope all is well with you dear Stephanie, I know that your grandma has been terribly ill, and we are praying for all of you! With love, prayers and hugs :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...